New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Data usage when there should be none

Problem Solver

Re: Data usage when there should be none

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Yes that is the O/S checking for updates. Not sure if it will use mobile data or wifi when there is an update b/c we haven't received an update yet b/c the phones are so new!!  :>)

I turned off mobile data before I activated, (took out sim, powered up, turned off data, reinstalled sim, activated). Its been 3 weeks and phone and website still say 0 used.

Most Valued Poster

mvenanzi wrote:

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Yes that is the O/S checking for updates. Not sure if it will use mobile data or wifi when there is an update b/c we haven't received an update yet b/c the phones are so new!!  :>)

I turned off mobile data before I activated, (took out sim, powered up, turned off data, reinstalled sim, activated). Its been 3 weeks and phone and website still say 0 used.

Interesting. Keep posting over your billing period and let us know what happens.

Contributor

Dan_472 wrote:

(not sure if this is exactly what the other users are talking about)

When first activated, my phone used about 7MB of data. OK, no big deal.

But then, every day it uses about 0.2 MB of data.

I have all data turned off, including turning off data for each app listed in Settings > Mobile Data.

The offender seems to be "Android System".

I have same thing, shows data use on the phone, but xfinity mobile app and web page shows none.. Just got my bill and it shows no data used as well. It is not really an issue for me as I don't use data, but if you trying to use a small amount, it could put you over the limit.. 

Regular Contributor

There has been much debate on this thread as to whether Xfinity rounds up data usage for each phone to the next 100MB for billing purposes or if they bill based upon the actual usage of all phones. I have good evidence that they bill based upon actual usage.

My account currently shows one phone with 0.5GB and the other with 0.7GB, but my account says "$12 so far” with a total of 1.1GB of data. That indicates that they are billing based upon actual usage. If they added the rounded totals it would be 1.2GB and $24. I recall the same thing happening when both phones showed 0.1GB. For awhile it showed $0, then after my actual usage increased, the bill showed $12. I just couldn’t see my actual usage because it rounds both phones to 0.1GB for display purposes.

I think the real issue is not rounding, but whether Xfinity’s actual usage numbers match those shown on your phone. Mine are way off for some reason.
Problem Solver

-Mike wrote:
There has been much debate on this thread as to whether Xfinity rounds up data usage for each phone to the next 100MB for billing purposes or if they bill based upon the actual usage of all phones. I have good evidence that they bill based upon actual usage.

My account currently shows one phone with 0.5GB and the other with 0.7GB, but my account says "$12 so far” with a total of 1.1GB of data. That indicates that they are billing based upon actual usage. If they added the rounded totals it would be 1.2GB and $24. I recall the same thing happening when both phones showed 0.1GB. For awhile it showed $0, then after my actual usage increased, the bill showed $12. I just couldn’t see my actual usage because it rounds both phones to 0.1GB for display purposes.

I think the real issue is not rounding, but whether Xfinity’s actual usage numbers match those shown on your phone. Mine are way off for some reason.

We are concerned about whether comcast rounds up actual values from the phone. What are the values from your phones?

Regular Contributor

One phone shows 225MB, but Xfinity shows 0.5GB. Other phone shows 331MB, but Xfinity shows 0.7GB. That’s why I say it’s not a rounding issue. I don’t know yet whether this is some IOS 11 problem or something in how Xfinity is measuring data, but the numbers are not even close.
Problem Solver

-Mike wrote:
One phone shows 225MB, but Xfinity shows 0.5GB. Other phone shows 331MB, but Xfinity shows 0.7GB. That’s why I say it’s not a rounding issue. I don’t know yet whether this is some IOS 11 problem or something in how Xfinity is measuring data, but the numbers are not even close.

Is the billing cycle set to match your actual billing cycle?

Regular Contributor

It's not a billing cycle mismatch. New phones and service two weeks ago, and I'm measuring usage since then. I did upgrade to IOS 11 (over WiFi) when setting them up, so it's possible there was some unrecorded data on the first day. But the discrepancy has grown since then, so it's not just due to some initial missed data.
Problem Solver

-Mike wrote:
It's not a billing cycle mismatch. New phones and service two weeks ago, and I'm measuring usage since then. I did upgrade to IOS 11 (over WiFi) when setting them up, so it's possible there was some unrecorded data on the first day. But the discrepancy has grown since then, so it's not just due to some initial missed data.

Seems like apple's data tracker can't be trusted, there are reports of discrepancies like what your seeing going back many years.

Source:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mobile+data+usage+does+not+match+site%3Adiscussions.apple.com&oq=mob...

Also, we will probably never see a perfect match, carriers count data that leaves their network, and not what's received by your phone, so data losses will increase comcast's count.

Source:

https://gizmodo.com/5943251/how-carriers-miscalculate-your-data-usage

Regular Contributor

With my previous iPhone and carrier, the data usage numbers were always really close, so it's not a universal Apple problem. But I am suspicious of a new IOS 11 bug.

I've seen that stuff about lost packets being counted by the carriers, but it's hard to believe that both of my phones are only receiving about 50% of packets sent.

I'm also suspicious that Xfinity might be counting VoLTE calls as data, when they say they don't.

I'm going to run some tests and track this more closely, but it's difficult to analyze when Xfinity only shows usage at 100MB increments.
Problem Solver

-Mike wrote:
With my previous iPhone and carrier, the data usage numbers were always really close, so it's not a universal Apple problem. But I am suspicious of a new IOS 11 bug.

I've seen that stuff about lost packets being counted by the carriers, but it's hard to believe that both of my phones are only receiving about 50% of packets sent.

I'm also suspicious that Xfinity might be counting VoLTE calls as data, when they say they don't.

I'm going to run some tests and track this more closely, but it's difficult to analyze when Xfinity only shows usage at 100MB increments.

I agree you are not only receiving about 50% of packets sent. Something is going on. . .

New Poster

Hi WindsurfMaui,
I've tried leaving the wifi on all day, and it continues to creep up.
To be fair, the usage varies, sometimes it's only 0.05 MB per day. Assuming a useful phone life of 1,000 days, that's only 50MB, so maybe no need to buy extra $12 of data.

(phone is an LG X Charge M322)

Most Valued Poster

Dan_472 wrote:

Hi WindsurfMaui,
I've tried leaving the wifi on all day, and it continues to creep up.
To be fair, the usage varies, sometimes it's only 0.05 MB per day. Assuming a useful phone life of 1,000 days, that's only 50MB, so maybe no need to buy extra $12 of data.

(phone is an LG X Charge M322)

The free 100MB are for all phones on the account so if you have multiple phones and if Comcast bills any data use as the rounded up .1MB then 2 phones require buying a GB of data. But I will know tomorrow as my billing period ends tonight. I download google hangout with the mobile data off but I'm showing .02MB of data used but it hasn't increased at all over the last week. I haven't tried to use Hangout yet so I am curious if it will work on the phone line without the need for mobile data.

Frequent Visitor

I bought two lines. From one of the cellphones I managed to only use 13MB and the other about 70MB show from phone manager. The total should be less than 100MB. But the current cycle activities shows like this:

1st phone: 0.1 GB

2nd phone: 0.1 GB

and totally charged $12 for 1 GB.

That translates to if I have two phone then regardless how little I use it will charge $12 as 1 GB usage in default.

Most Valued Poster

johnwayne98006 wrote:

I bought two lines. From one of the cellphones I managed to only use 13MB and the other about 70MB show from phone manager. The total should be less than 100MB. But the current cycle activities shows like this:

That translates to if I have two phone then regardless how little I use it will charge $12 as 1 GB usage in default.

I think you should challege any time the data usage is under 100MB. Xfinity promised us 100MB  and they can't short change us with rounding errors.

Official Employee

Based on the data you posted, johnwayne98006 it looks like you've used 200mbs of data which is greater than 100mbs so you would be charged for 1 Gig. I'm sure phone manufacturers have different ways on how data is calculated when used. The best bet is to go by what's reported via the XFINITY Mobile website. I've requested Tier 2 to clear up how the specific data usage is rounded (I know it's rounded to nearest Gig, but don't know how that works if you're under 1 Gig) and how that is reported online. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Most Valued Poster

Thanks Ken everyone will feel better if we understand how Xfinity calculated data usage.

Official Employee

Agreed. I'll update this thread as well with the answer I receive. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

Just for reference, below is what I posted on another thread. I think it gives a pretty good idea of how usage is calculated. Hopefully the update from KenF will eliminate any doubt:

Here are some examples of what I've seen reported by Xfinity during the month:

• Overall total = 0.1GB, phone 1 = 0.1GB, phone 2 = 0.1GB, bill = $0 (I assume actual usage 0-100MB, each phone < 100MB )
  • Overall total = 0.2GB, phone 1 = 0.1GB, phone 2 = 0.1GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 100-200MB, each phone < 100MB )
  • Overall total = 0.2GB, phone 1 = 0.1GB, phone 2 = 0.2GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 100-200MB, phone 2 > 100MB )
  • Overall total = 1.1GB, phone 1 = 0.4GB, phone 2 = 0.7GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 1000-1100MB )
  • Overall total = 1.1GB, phone 1 = 0.5GB, phone 2 = 0.7GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 1000-1100MB, phone 1 > 400MB )
  • Overall total = 1.2GB, phone 1 = 0.5GB, phone 2 = 0.7GB, bill = $24 (I assume actual usage 1100-1200MB )
  • Overall total = 1.2GB, phone 1 = 0.5GB, phone 2 = 0.8GB, bill = $24 (I assume actual usage 1100-1200MB, phone 2 > 700MB )

You can see that the billing jumps from 0 to $12 when the overall total crosses from 0.1 to 0.2GB, which does not correspond with any change in the reported rounded totals for each phone. They must be adding up the actual usage of each phone and using that to determine the total usage. You can also see that the billing jumps from $12 to $24 when the overall total crosses from 1.1GB to 1.2GB, which does not correspond with any change in the reported rounded totals for each phone.

New Poster

why is data usage rounded to the nearest Gig? I've used about 9MB so far, but my xfinity account shows 0.1 GB, which is about 100 MB. Certainly the technology exists to display 0.009 GB on my account.

(granted that there may be small differences when converting MB to GB.)

overall, I'm happy with the phone and the service, but this kind of thing tends to take the edge off the happiness.

Official Employee

why is data usage rounded to the nearest Gig? I've used about 9MB so far, but my xfinity account shows 0.1 GB, which is about 100 MB. Certainly the technology exists to display 0.009 GB on my account.

(granted that there may be small differences when converting MB to GB.)

overall, I'm happy with the phone and the service, but this kind of thing tends to take the edge off the happiness.

Dan_472, we're trying to figure that out. Obviously 9MB is no where close to .1GB. I'm looking to see if what is reported online is similar to what you'd be charged on your bill--or if you're actually being charged for the 9MB used. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

Ken what are you doing working on a Saturday? You need a day off.  :>)

My bill didn't show the 0.1GB used until one phone was into double digits 13.xxMbs. The previous month when the data usage was 9.xxMBs the bill showed 0GBs used.

Official Employee

haha, thanks WindsurfMaui, I work Tuesday-Saturday. 

That's interesting though. Obviously we are tracking double digits MBs as .1GB online. I'm wondering if the threshold online is 10MB+-->.1GB online. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

My data usage in the current billing period (starting Oct 8) is at 0.81MB on one phone and presumably 0 MB on another phone yet to be activated but my account shows usage of 0.1GB in November for the activated line (and 0 GB for the unactivated). The rounding threshold (if exists) is way lower than 10MB. 

Official Employee

My data usage in the current billing period (starting Oct 8) is at 0.81MB on one phone and presumably 0 MB on another phone yet to be activated but my account shows usage of 0.1GB in November for the activated line (and 0 GB for the unactivated). The rounding threshold (if exists) is way lower than 10MB.

SunnyRadGal interesting. In your case it seems as if it is rounding to the nearest 100MB. 

By the way, I haven't gotten an answer yet everyone, but I'll let ya know when I do. 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

First I want to apologize to every one here b/c I gave out bad information on mobile data usage. I believed when we shut off the data usage in the settings that it was a hard wall that only the O/S checking for updates could penetrate.  I thought this b/c I had my phone for a couple of months and the only thing that showed data usage was the O/S. Then I startd to use Google Hangouts. I tried to make video calls and checked the mobile data section to make sure I wasn't messing up and using mobile data. Turns out I was using a very small amount of mobile data even though the mobile data was shut off. So I opened the app and found that buried in that app and every other app was a setting under the data section that says background data, enable the use of cellular data in the background and this is turned on in every app. I'm not sure why  this section over rides the main shut off valve. There must be a way to set all apps as disable with one check mark, but I haven't found it yet so I am opening each app and turning it off one by one.

Frequent Visitor

I was told the same thing when I called customer service. I somehow used 3 GB of data, which I have never done in my life!

I was told that if your WiFi single is week, it will automatically bounce you back and forth to data and WiFi. Even in my own house! They instructed me to turn the cellular data off.

I never had to do that with AT&T. And I never used over 1GB. If I was on WiFi and the signal got weak, it wouldn’t display the website.

Add it to my list of complaints!
Official Employee

I was told the same thing when I called customer service. I somehow used 3 GB of data, which I have never done in my life!

I was told that if your WiFi single is week, it will automatically bounce you back and forth to data and WiFi. Even in my own house! They instructed me to turn the cellular data off.

I never had to do that with AT&T. And I never used over 1GB. If I was on WiFi and the signal got weak, it wouldn’t display the website.

Add it to my list of complaints!

AMcQuiston, I've heard this happen  before for weak WiFi signals. I definitely suggest disabling cellular data if you don't want to use it and clearing the background app data as WindsurfMaui suggested above. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Interesting. Keep posting over your billing period and let us know what happens.

First billing cycle ended. I had data turned off entire time, even before activating (see above). Bill shows 0.0G used, so $0.00 for data, $26.67 for device payment, and $2.24 in taxes and fees. Only thing that doesn't make sense is the $0.60 for state sales tax. State sales tax is 6.25%, so 0.60 / 0.065 = $9.60. Why am I charged sales tax on $9.60?

Untitled.png

Frequent Visitor

I did that, after learning the hard way, and it still shows data being used. I’ll admit, it’s nominal- but shouldn’t there be 0 data used if I have cellular data turned off and toggled every app to off?
Most Valued Poster

Which apps are using the data beside the O/S?

Official Employee

mvenanzi, does your area charge additional taxes for what is considered "luxury" items? Mine does and I get charged additional taxes on my cell phone bill for it. 

AMcQuiston, there is obviously something in the background running data. Did you confirm if your device is checking for system updates? Typically the OS will use cellular data over WiFi to do so. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Problem Solver

ComcastKenF wrote:

mvenanzi, does your area charge additional taxes for what is considered "luxury" items? Mine does and I get charged additional taxes on my cell phone bill for it.

Nothing mentioned on mass.gov website:

"The Massachusetts 6.25 percent sales tax applies to the retail sale or use of telecommunications services in Massachusetts, by individuals or businesses, including small businesses. "Telecommunications services include telephone and other transmissions of information "

Source: http://www.mass.gov/dor/businesses/current-tax-info/guide-to-trustee-taxes/sales-and-use-tax-on-tele...

Official Employee

mvenanzi, The closest explanation I have is the 6.25% sales taxed on the $10 line fee. Because you are an XFINITY internet customer, you are waived the $10 fee every month, but taxes still apply on that fee. When I calculated it, I got $.63 in taxes (rounded). 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

I am a resident of Massachusetts also. But I can't explain the state sales taxes either. The calculations just don't work @ .0625.

When I had only 1 Xfinity phone my first month taxes and fees were:

Month 1 

911 service        $1.00

State sales tax       .60

Fed Serv chge        .52

Xfinity Recov fee    .07

Now I have 5 phones/lines 3 are unactivated but my taxes and fees are 5 times each of these (except when the base amount changes):

Month 2

911 service           $5.00

State sales taxes   3.00

Fed service chge    2.60

Xfinity Recov fee      .35

Month 3

911 Service        $5.00

State sales tax    3.00

Fed service chge 2.85 (this base number increased .05)

Xfinity Recov fee   .35

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, if you notice, the 911 service charge is about $1 per line. In month two, you were being charged the taxes on all 5 lines as noted by the $5 , 911 charge. 

.0625*$50 ($10 line fee per line that is waived for being an XFINITY internet customer)= $3.125

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Problem Solver

ComcastKenF wrote:

WindsurfMaui, if you notice, the 911 service charge is about $1 per line. In month two, you were being charged the taxes on all 5 lines as noted by the $5 , 911 charge. 

.0625*$50 ($10 line fee per line that is waived for being an XFINITY internet customer)= $3.125

KenF

If sales tax were being charged for the $10 waived line fee, it would be $0.63 per line not numbers that are close. I don't believe its the waived line fee, there's something else going on here.

Most Valued Poster

ComcastKenF wrote:

KenF

That is my point $3.00 isn't $3.12 and I guarantee you that Massachusetts isn't rounding down any tax money they think they are owed. Besides, is Xfinity charging for and refunding $10 per mobile line? I find that hard to believe since a land line is only $10 isn't it? I thought they would charge $10 per household if you don't have a house line, not $10 per  mobile line.

Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

ComcastKenF wrote:

KenF

That is my point $3.00 isn't $3.12 and I guarantee you that Massachusetts isn't rounding down any tax money they think they are owed. Besides, is Xfinity charging for and refunding $10 per mobile line? I find that hard to believe since a land line is only $10 isn't it? I thought they would charge $10 per household if you don't have a house line, not $10 per  mobile line.

Both WindsurfMaui and I are from MA and are getting a sales tax charge of $0.60 per line, that's easy to see. What are other's getting charged for state sales tax?

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:

KenF

If sales tax were being charged for the $10 waived line fee, it would be $0.63 per line not numbers that are close. I don't believe its the waived line fee, there's something else going on here.

mvenanzi, I see what you mean. I recommend giving us a call to make sure there aren't any errors there. 

ComcastKenF wrote:

KenF

WindsurfMaui, yes we charge $10 per line for each line of service on XFINITY Mobile ($10 line fee per line). Accounts that are also Internet subscribers receive a $10 credit per line every month. 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Problem Solver

ComcastKenF wrote:

mvenanzi, I see what you mean. I recommend giving us a call to make sure there aren't any errors there. 

KenF

The only time I call in with problems is when it's obvious they need to send someone out for a repair. I have never received useful help calling in otherwise and right now mobile CS phone support sounds useless. I'll wait until more people chime in on the forums. You're one of the reps and you're still waiting on an explaination on the billing rounding to 0.1G.

Official Employee

Fair enough. I'll check in with you later. 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

ComcastKenF wrote:

WindsurfMaui, yes we charge $10 per line for each line of service on XFINITY Mobile ($10 line fee per line). Accounts that are also Internet subscribers receive a $10 credit per line every month. 

KenF

I hope Xfinity never stops the $10 per line subsidy b/c I wouldn't want to pay $50 a month more for this service.

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, same here--but I don't see that happening.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Well I was going to chime in with how much sales tax I pay, but when I checked I see I don't pay any.. I do have to pay a "Tucson public utility fee", even though I don't live in Tucson.. I asked about it and was told, your zip code comes up as Tucson, so you have to pay it..  I still think I was double billed for the taxes on my first months service, but it is not enough to call in about.. Most likely that would cause more headaches then the $4.. Over all I am quite happy with the service and consider myself lucky to have not had the order issues that some seem to have.. 

Official Employee

Hey Everyone, 

I have a response from tier 2 on our question. 

I phrased the question this way: At what point does XFINITY Mobile round to 100MB on display online for those getting free data? Is it rounded to 100MB when customer hits 70MB or 50MB?How is data rounded when you're under 1GB and how is that reported online?

Here is the response: 

"When looking at the online account the data usage meter will always read 0.1GB even when a brand new cycle has begun until the 100mb threshold has been crossed. There is no rounding up of data usage, the internal system will be able to keep track of how much data each line has used when on the By the Gig plan as the lines on on a shared Data usage plan."

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Problem Solver

ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey Everyone, 

I phrased the question this way: At what point does XFINITY Mobile round to 100MB on display online for those getting free data? Is it rounded to 100MB when customer hits 70MB or 50MB?How is data rounded when you're under 1GB and how is that reported online?

Here is the response: 

"When looking at the online account the data usage meter will always read 0.1GB even when a brand new cycle has begun until the 100mb threshold has been crossed. There is no rounding up of data usage, the internal system will be able to keep track of how much data each line has used when on the By the Gig plan as the lines on on a shared Data usage plan."

Well thats not true, my data meter has alwasy shown 0.0G.

Untitled.png

Official Employee

mvenanzi, does it ever go to 0.1GB or does it automatically jump to 100MB when it's reached?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey Everyone, 

Here is the response: 

Thanks Ken! So I guess the big question is does Comcast's meter accurately match/reflect what is shown on a device? For example if my phone says 45.28mb  is that what Comcast's meter shows? (The one that they use to monitor if we go over... not the one we see on our account details.)  

It would matter too much I think for those who use very little data, but would be useful to know for people are usually close to the limit.

Problem Solver

ComcastKenF wrote:

mvenanzi, does it ever go to 0.1GB or does it automatically jump to 100MB when it's reached?

Don't know, I read about discrepancies on forums prior to getting phone, so I have left data turned off until we understand how it works. The image in post shows all of my billing cycles, all 0G