Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Data usage when there should be none

Frequent Visitor

Data usage when there should be none

This started with the first day I had my iPhone 7. I followed the instructions on setup by setting up wifi first on my phone before putting the SIM in. Activated it on the website while transfering my number from verizon. put the SIM in and boom there is now 100MB of data usage on my phone according to the xfinity mobile site. 0.1GB usage

Odd, I checked my phone's settings for cellular data it says 0MB used.

figured must be a fluke, but it wasn't somehow I used 100MB before the phone was even active.

used the phone some to test it out, kept it under 400MB the first month, didn't use the phone the entire last week of the month and had it powered off with cellular data on it turned off (Use cellular data toggle off in iPhone settings) come the 1st of the next month when they roll the data over, when I woke up checked the usage meter to make sure it was at zero....... no it was 0.2GB used! somehow over night it thinks I used 200MB on a phone that was powered off AND had use cellular data turned off... the previous month listed at 0.5GB total used so it did reset the counter, but reset it to already in the pay for the first gigabyte range....

right now I have my phone completely off, cellular data is disabled, I reset the cellular data statistics for the phone so everything is at 0, I'm betting when September 1st comes around somehow I'll once again be in the pay for the 1st GB range again with zero real usage...

what in the world is going on? I got this because I never use data! I have it also configured to use the xfinity hotspots and at home to use my wifi network. xfinity hotspots should not be counted as cellular data, and since the phone was off when the last problem happened that makes even less sense.

(By off I mean I powered it down, not put it to suspend or turned off the screen, on the iphone held the button, and swiped to turn off)

btw: I'm at home on my wifi network 90% of the time, so I should never be using cellular data as it is! I've never seen my phone not show a wifi connection when I have it on.

Problem Solver

Re: Data usage when there should be none

Each month always shows "100 MB" even when it's zero. Even 1 MB will show as 100. 101 MB will show as 200, etc.
Frequent Visitor

not what I'm seeing, you use one MB and I automatically jump to the $12 payment... 101MB for me tells me I have $12 due.....

Frequent Visitor

also like I said above last month I somehow used 200MB as soon as the month rolled into the new month, 200MB with the phone completely off (shut down, not just sleeping) and cellular data turned off in IOS... should of been 0MB on the 1st of the month, not 0.2GB used and since the phone was off for days before that happened, it's not like there was a timing issue, there was zero activity for days before the 1st of last month

Problem Solver

brianiup wrote:

not what I'm seeing, you use one MB and I automatically jump to the $12 payment... 101MB for me tells me I have $12 due.....

Yes, and it will stay at $12 due as long as you stay below 1GB for the month.

Frequent Visitor

you completely missed the point of what was said...

1st of month comes, it immediatly says I used 100MB, should say ZERO... 

I use 1MB it says 101MB used, I am now charged $12... for ONE MEGABYTE the first 100 was never used! it's just adding the "free" 100 MB onto it as usage whcih that should be no usage + 1MB and still be a charge of $0

Most Valued Poster

When I initiated my LG phone 2 months ago It used about 6MBs during the set up process. I then quickly turned the data usage off and monitored the phone every few days and saw that although data was off my data usage was increasing by .10 MB every few days. It seems when checking for O/S software updates it used the data feed. That was the only item that showed increase in data usage.  Topped out at a little over 9MB's for first month and this month almost at an end and usage is 1.77MBs. 

Have you verified data usage with Xfinity mobile phone app to verify the readings you are getting are real?

Frequent Visitor

I was just told that xfinity automatically will switch you off Wi-Fi to data if it thinks the data signal is better...it was a shock to learn that you don't stay connected to your home Wi-Fi if xfinity decides for you that you should be using data instead..
Most Valued Poster

Matt1925 wrote:
I was just told that xfinity automatically will switch you off Wi-Fi to data if it thinks the data signal is better...it was a shock to learn that you don't stay connected to your home Wi-Fi if xfinity decides for you that you should be using data instead..

That has not been my experience.  My data is turned off for months and the only data use in that time is a couple of MB's  used by the O/S to check for software updates to the O/S. Otherwise if I can't get a wifi connection I just get a message saying no network connection.

New Poster

This may be true, but if you have mobile data switched off, there is NO way that xfinity should be able to force anything through the device. If they have a backdoor trickle going to devices then that is cause for someone to step in and take a look - especially when they bill for service by the GB. For me, I used 53MB during setup and then turned off Mobile Data. I haven't seen a spike yet for anything, but I've only had the phone a week now. I have noticed a few times that mobile data has turned itself back on, but that sounds like more of a glitch in the LG X Charge than anything else. 

I'm watching this like a hawk though as I don't need data on either line that I have with them and the hotspots provide me with more than enough coverage where I live to get by if I need to look something up or do an update. 

***** UPDATE *****
So I double checked some settings and found that the Data Saver feature allows for Xfinity Voice Mail, WiFi Settings and Google Play Services all had access to background data even when Data Saver or other modes were turned on. All three of these can be turned off without any issue and should stop the data trickle from happening.

Settings > Mobile Data > Menu > Data Saver > Unrestricted Apps = uncheck all (this may delay Voicemail until you are on wifi)

Most Valued Poster

Ron_Lunsford wrote:

This may be true, but if you have mobile data switched off, there is NO way that xfinity should be able to force anything through the device. If they have a backdoor trickle going to devices then that is cause for someone to step in and take a look - especially when they bill for service by the GB. For me, I used 53MB during setup and then turned off Mobile Data. I haven't seen a spike yet for anything, but I've only had the phone a week now. I have noticed a few times that mobile data has turned itself back on, but that sounds like more of a glitch in the LG X Charge than anything else. 

I'm watching this like a hawk though as I don't need data on either line that I have with them and the hotspots provide me with more than enough coverage where I live to get by if I need to look something up or do an update. 

***** UPDATE *****
So I double checked some settings and found that the Data Saver feature allows for Xfinity Voice Mail, WiFi Settings and Google Play Services all had access to background data even when Data Saver or other modes were turned on. All three of these can be turned off without any issue and should stop the data trickle from happening.  

I can't address security issues. But I tracked my data usage for the first two months I had the phone. After initial set up (11M any increase has come exclusively by the O/S. I tracked the changes every couple of days. My mobile data has never turned itself on as far as I can see and I also watched it very closely b/c I was worried about being charged for data. I also check my wifi data usage and use about 10Gb's of data each month which really shocked me but I see the breakdown and it looks about right to me as far as which app I am using. As far as if they are recording more data usage than necessary I don't know. I run the Ookla speed test and it looks like it uses a lot more data than needed for a speed test. But i can't tell. 

Frequent Visitor

Hope that is true just passing on what I was told...never had to turn off mobile data with Verizon to keep Verizon from switching off from my home Wi-Fi while I was in range...xfinity indicated their phone will move off your WiFi if phone thinks data has a better connection
Most Valued Poster

xfinity indicated their phone will move off your WiFi if phone thinks data has a better connection

I think that refers to if you are using wifi and move away from it AND have the mobile data turned on. It won't happen if the mobile data is turned off.

Frequent Visitor

Nope just learned there is a smart switch setting that will autoswitch you based on which signal it thinks is better...only learned this by telling a supervisor to go check as he had said that he believed such a feature didn't exist...but lo and behold when he actually looked he found there was one. Got to love the answer first then see if answer is right later mentality of xfinity....have to wait till my wife is back with phone to confirm if I can turn this feature off as I was told I could
Most Valued Poster

Matt there is a switch that will tell your phone to prefer wifi as long as it has a signal. But it won't select mobile data if you have your mobile data turned off.  It only works if both mobile data and wifi are both enabled. Nothing will turn your mobile data on if you have it shut off.

Problem Solver

My reply may not apply to your phone.
I have an android phone, after turning off Moblie Data in Settings, 
I also needed to click on each of the apps at the bottom of the Mobile Data page.
One the individual app page I needed to turn off "Background Data" for each and every app.

How to track your data using Xfinity Mobile app.

Contributor

Matt1925 wrote:
Nope just learned there is a smart switch setting that will autoswitch you based on which signal it thinks is better...only learned this by telling a supervisor to go check as he had said that he believed such a feature didn't exist...but lo and behold when he actually looked he found there was one. Got to love the answer first then see if answer is right later mentality of xfinity....have to wait till my wife is back with phone to confirm if I can turn this feature off as I was told I could

If such an "autoswitch" exists, it's highly unlikely XM would defaut that to on for all the phones it ships out. 

XM's entire business plan relies on OFFLOADING your data usage to WiFi where avaliable so that it does not incur more cost to supply you with Verizon backgone celluar data. Whenever you use celluar data, XM is paying money to Verizon. Just because one is on an unlimited plan with XM and can use as much data as one wants from XM doesn't mean XM is getting unlimited free data from Verizon. XM still pays Verizon, albeit highly discounted wholesale rate, for each megabyte of data one uses. Therefore, XM's entire business plan relies specifically on offloading your data usage from Verizon celluar data to wifi whenever possible, weather it be your own home wifi or, when outside, onto Xfinity's public wifi hotspots. They do not want you on celluar data if at all possible. 

If XM phones actually did what you suggest, it would cost XM more money each time a phone is onloaded to Verizon celluar data from wifi hotspots. Therefore, its highly unlikely this is the given default state for the phones XM ships. 

Contributor

I have 4 phones on our account including 1 that has not been activated and 1 that is totally unusable anymore. All phones have data useage turned off. All phones showed .1 gb the first month immediately affter setup. New month shows 0gb used on all phone. I seldom use mine and my son uses his all the time both at home and out and about. As far as I can tell, when we are at home, the home network is what the phones use.

Most Valued Poster

And as you probably understand that unlimited plans are not what you think. If you look in the fine print of an unlimited plan most providers will give you a specific amount of mobile data at 4G LTE speeds then it will drop down to 3G or 2G after you exceed a certain limit so paying for unlimited data doesn't give you unlimited 4G LTE data. 

But you can tell your phone to prefer mobile data or wifi data when available as long as both mobile data and wifi are turned on. The phone won't turn on either if you have it shut off.

Frequent Visitor

It seems Comcast round up the data usage to 100MB.  My second billing cycle started yesterday, and my three phone lines just used between 3MB to 20MB.  But they all show 0.1GB data usage.  If each phone only uses 301MB this month, Comcast will round up tp 400MB on each phone.  400MB x 3 = 1200MB, then I have to pay for the 2 GB even it is less than 1 GB in actual usage. This is not good!

Most Valued Poster

siudimsum wrote:

It seems Comcast round up the data usage to 100MB.  My second billing cycle started yesterday, and my three phone lines just used between 3MB to 20MB.  But they all show 0.1GB data usage.  If each phone only uses 301MB this month, Comcast will round up tp 400MB on each phone.  400MB x 3 = 1200MB, then I have to pay for the 2 GB even it is less than 1 GB in actual usage. This is not good!

You should get one of the Comcast techs who help on this forum to check to make sure that isn't an error. Because that would be very unfair.

Frequent Visitor

It doesn't seem it is error.  Last billing cycle, three phone lines used around 250MB, 50MB and 10MB.  But Comcast shows it used 0.3GB, 0.1GB an d 0.1GB.  It shows 0.5GB in total.

Most Valued Poster

siudimsum wrote:

It doesn't seem it is error.  Last billing cycle, three phone lines used around 250MB, 50MB and 10MB.  But Comcast shows it used 0.3GB, 0.1GB an d 0.1GB.  It shows 0.5GB in total.

I see. I know that Comcast says if you go over the 1Gb by .001 they will charge us for 2Gb. But I always assumed, and I think it is only fair, that they don't round up each phone usage but add up the real usage and not a rounded up number.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast should mention each phone data usage will be round up to nearest hundred MB.  

Contributor

siudimsum wrote:

If this is indeed what XM is doing, then it seems ripe for a class action lawsuit. I have my doubts that XM is really rounding each individual line to the nearest 100MB then adding the total. If what you're saying is correct,  If each line used just 1MB, then 3 lines would incur a $12 charge for the month because it would be counted as 100mb + 100mb + 100mb = 300mb. 

XM specifically advertises that all lines have 100mb to share each month for free. If they calculated as you suggest, no one would ever be able to use even 1 mb of that 100mb free allocation each month if they didn't want to pay $12. 

Bottom line: does not compute.

Contributor

siudimsum wrote:

Comcast should mention each phone data usage will be round up to nearest hundred MB.  

I don't believe XM rounds to nearest 100MB for actual calculations. It may show increments of 100mb on the XM website, but I don't believe for actual billing that they round to the nearest 100mb. You can bet there will be a lawsuit if XM rounded up to the nearest 100mb for each line. 

Frequent Visitor

Here is the screenshot  from my phones:

If you don't see the image,  click here

Here is the screen show from Comcast billing statement:

if you don't see the image, click here

My service started on August 25, but Comcast billing cycle shows Aug 24 - Sep 24. 

Comcast rounded up all the lines to the nearest hundred.  0.3 GB + 0.1 GB + 0.1 GB = 0.5GB .  After it took out 100MB shared data, it still shows 0.4 GB.

Contributor

siudimsum wrote:

My service started on August 25, but Comcast billing cycle shows Aug 24 - Sep 24. 

Comcast rounded up all the lines to the nearest hundred.  0.3 GB + 0.1 GB + 0.1 GB = 0.5GB .  After it took out 100MB shared data, it still shows 0.4 GB.

My billing period is also off by 1 dayn too. Phones arrived to me on 9-19 and I activated two of them on 9-19, but online it shows service billing period as 9-18 to 10-18. I didn't particularly like that either. 

As for your .3 + .1 +.1 usage, I'm still not convinced XM calculates data usage the way you suggest. Your specific case doesn't clarify for us as your iphone used 280MB+; so regardless whether your other phones used 1mb or 500mb or 0 mb, you'd still have been billed $12. I still think if all 3 of your phones combined used less than 100mb in total, then I don't think you'd have been charged the $12. But we won't know given your iphone usage of ~280mb. 

I'll wait to see someone's bill who actually had less than 100mb data usage combined with all of their phones -- and if they are charged $12 when all of their lines used less than 100mb combined, then I'll believe XM is calculating data usage as you suggest. 

Problem Solver

Lakino wrote:

siudimsum wrote:

My billing period is also off by 1 dayn too. Phones arrived to me on 9-19 and I activated two of them on 9-19, but online it shows service billing period as 9-18 to 10-18. I didn't particularly like that either. 

As for your .3 + .1 +.1 usage, I'm still not convinced XM calculates data usage the way you suggest. Your specific case doesn't clarify for us as your iphone used 280MB+; so regardless whether your other phones used 1mb or 500mb or 0 mb, you'd still have been billed $12. I still think if all 3 of your phones combined used less than 100mb in total, then I don't think you'd have been charged the $12. But we won't know given your iphone usage of ~280mb. 

I'll wait to see someone's bill who actually had less than 100mb data usage combined with all of their phones -- and if they are charged $12 when all of their lines used less than 100mb combined, then I'll believe XM is calculating data usage as you suggest. 

It definitely looks like comcast rounded up each phone. on siudimsum's pic of bill it say 0.3, 0.1, & 0.1 for a total of 0.5, but above says 0.4. Therefore they subtracted the first 0.1. The screen shots of phones show 0.281, 0.522, & 0.896 for a total of 0.3422, if you subtract the first 0.1 that makes 0.2422. 0.2422 is less than half the 0.5 on the bill. How can they claim 0.4 was used after the first 0.1 if they didn't round up each phone?

Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:

Lakino wrote:

siudimsum wrote:

It definitely looks like comcast rounded up each phone. on siudimsum's pic of bill it say 0.3, 0.1, & 0.1 for a total of 0.5, but above says 0.4. Therefore they subtracted the first 0.1. The screen shots of phones show 0.281, 0.522, & 0.896 for a total of 0.3422, if you subtract the first 0.1 that makes 0.2422. 0.2422 is less than half the 0.5 on the bill. How can they claim 0.4 was used after the first 0.1 if they didn't round up each phone?

Yes I can do all that math and I did. But does it change the $12 charged to dimsum? It does not. Dimsum would be charged $12 if he used 0.101 to 0.999. 

Until I see someone with a combined total line usage of less than 100mb being charged $12, I will stick to my position. I don't believe XM is rounding up for each line when calculating the $12/GB. 

Problem Solver

Lakino wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Yes I can do all that math and I did. But does it change the $12 charged to dimsum? It does not. Dimsum would be charged $12 if he used 0.101 to 0.999. 

Until I see someone with a combined total line usage of less than 100mb being charged $12, I will stick to my position. I don't believe XM is rounding up for each line when calculating the $12/GB. 

Of course it doesn't change the $12 charge  that's not what we are talking about - we're talking about rounding per line or not. The bill states the useage for each line and the resolution is only 0.1G. If calculations are actually done with more resolution then the total used data after the first 0.1 was subtracted should be 0.3 not 0.4 as stated on the bill. I believe from what is shown on the bill they are rounding up each phone to the next 0.1G. We'll just have to wait until a comcast rep can clarify or more people post.

Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:

Lakino wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Of course it doesn't change the $12 charge  that's not what we are talking about - we're talking about rounding per line or not. The bill states the useage for each line and the resolution is only 0.1G. If calculations are actually done with more resolution then the total used data after the first 0.1 was subtracted should be 0.3 not 0.4 as stated on the bill. I believe from what is shown on the bill they are rounding up each phone to the next 0.1G. We'll just have to wait until a comcast rep can clarify or more people post.

Then it's all irrelevent. Some people just like to cause more drama in their life. Until someone provides proof that they've been charged more $$$ (actual money) than they should have, I will give XM the benefit of the doubt. How XM displays its rounding doesn't matter much. What matters is what one is actually charged. 

Problem Solver

Lakino wrote:

Then it's all irrelevent. Some people just like to cause more drama in their life. Until someone provides proof that they've been charged more $$$ (actual money) than they should have, I will give XM the benefit of the doubt. How XM displays its rounding doesn't matter much. What matters is what one is actually charged. 

Most people would like to know how their bill is calculated before the fact rather than after. When evidence shows that something is not as expected, they will question.

Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:

Lakino wrote:

Most people would like to know how their bill is calculated before the fact rather than after. When evidence shows that something is not as expected, they will question.

Evidence thus far shows that XM is charging customers $12 for combined usage under 1GB. That's what I've seen to date. To suggest anything else is purely conjecture and causes needless anxiety for people who shouldn't need to worry about putative overcharging by XM due to rounding. 

You can question all you like but don't spread rumors that XM is miscalculating data consumption and insiutating that XM is overcharging when no such evidence of overcharging has been shown here. What has been shown is that XM lists data consumption in increments of 0.1GB on bills. What has not been shown is that XM ultimately overcharges when computing the final $ amount charged due to rounding. 

Problem Solver

Lakino wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Lakino wrote:

Evidence thus far shows that XM is charging customers $12 for combined usage under 1GB. That's what I've seen to date. To suggest anything else is purely conjecture and causes needless anxiety for people who shouldn't need to worry about putative overcharging by XM due to rounding. 

You can question all you like but don't spread rumors that XM is miscalculating data consumption and insiutating that XM is overcharging when no such evidence of overcharging has been shown here. What has been shown is that XM lists data consumption in increments of 0.1GB on bills. What has not been shown is that XM ultimately overcharges when computing the final $ amount charged due to rounding. 

The bill showing 0.5G being used instead of the actual of 0.34 is evidence that rounding was used in the calculation of used data. Just because it doesn't change the final outcome of what is owed doesn't nullify the fact.

Also, no one is spreading rumors, we see something that is inaccurate on a comcast bill and we are questioning it, we (siudimsum and I) wrote "it seems" & "looks like", if a comcast rep chimed in to clarify, great, that's why we bring dependencies up. We are trying to find out if "overcharges when computing the final $ amount charged (is) due to rounding" will happen before it actually happens if it does, ie.before the fact rather than after. We want to know the rules we're playing with before playing the game......

Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:

Lakino wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Lakino wrote:

The bill showing 0.5G being used instead of the actual of 0.34 is evidence that rounding was used in the calculation of used data. Just because it doesn't change the final outcome of what is owed doesn't nullify the fact.

Also, no one is spreading rumors, we see something that is inaccurate on a comcast bill and we are questioning it, we (siudimsum and I) wrote "it seems" & "looks like", if a comcast rep chimed in to clarify, great, that's why we bring dependencies up. We are trying to find out if "overcharges when computing the final $ amount charged (is) due to rounding" will happen before it actually happens if it does, ie.before the fact rather than after. We want to know the rules we're playing with before playing the game......

You just don't get it do you?

Since XM chose to show data usage as increments of 0.1GB, let's use a real world example:

You have 5 lines. For those 5 lines, you decide to be cheap and basically use no data on any of those lines, but a tiny bit of data leaks through each phone so you get:

Real life usage:

Line 1: 0.023GB

Line 2: 0.011GB

Line 3: 0.005GB

Line 4: 0.015GB

Line 5: 0.009GB

How does XM itemize each of these lines? 

XM shows:

Line 1: 0.1GB

Line 2: 0.1GB

Line 3: 0.1GB

Line 4: 0.1GB

Line 5: 0.1GB

If the billing shows 0.1 for each line and they provide you a total or 0.1GB, does that make sense? Of course not! Because they show 0.1GF for each line, they must show 0.5GB as the total. Otherwise it's mathematically incorrect for them to show 0.1GB as the total. 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 does not = 0.1. It = 0.5GB. XM correctly shows 0.5GB. 

However, I'm going to strongly suggest that in determining the actual $$ charged to that account, it would be $0 + taxes/fees, not $12 + taxes/fees. It is my strong belief that XM uses the total of the acutal consumption of data per line, not rounded up data, in determining monthly charges. 

If this ultimtely turns out not to be the case -- which I highly doubt -- then yes, I can see lawsuits being filed. Such is not the case for dimsum's billing statement. 

Problem Solver

Lakino wrote:

You just don't get it do you?

Since XM chose to show data usage as increments of 0.1GB, let's use a real world example:

You have 5 lines. For those 5 lines, you decide to be cheap and basically use no data on any of those lines, but a tiny bit of data leaks through each phone so you get:

Real life usage:

Line 1: 0.023GB

Line 2: 0.011GB

Line 3: 0.005GB

Line 4: 0.015GB

Line 5: 0.009GB

How does XM itemize each of these lines? 

XM shows:

Line 1: 0.1GB

Line 2: 0.1GB

Line 3: 0.1GB

Line 4: 0.1GB

Line 5: 0.1GB

If the billing shows 0.1 for each line and they provide you a total or 0.1GB, does that make sense? Of course not! Because they show 0.1GF for each line, they must show 0.5GB as the total. Otherwise it's mathematically incorrect for them to show 0.1GB as the total. 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 does not = 0.1. It = 0.5GB. XM correctly shows 0.5GB. 

However, I'm going to strongly suggest that in determining the actual $$ charged to that account, it would be $0 + taxes/fees, not $12 + taxes/fees. It is my strong belief that XM uses the total of the acutal consumption of data per line, not rounded up data, in determining monthly charges. 

If this ultimtely turns out not to be the case -- which I highly doubt -- then yes, I can see lawsuits being filed. Such is not the case for dimsum's billing statement. 

How can you make a statement like this - "Since XM chose to show data usage as increments of 0.1GB" ? You have no proof that this is just "show data", it may be they are rounding up.

Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:

How can you make a statement like this - "Since XM chose to show data usage as increments of 0.1GB" ? You have no proof that this is just "show data", it may be they are rounding up.

What I said is factually true.  Look at the data estimate on the website or your bill; It's always in increments of 0.1GB. XM shows data usage in increments of 0.1GB. That is a factual statement. 

What you've failed to prove -- and that's why I assert you purposely want to bring drama and start rumors -- is that XM is actually billing customers by calculating the bill using the roudned off data. I assert that XM calculates your final $$ charged based on actual data used, not the rounded data that you see online or listed in the bill. 

You start rumors when actual data does not support your allegations. I give XM the benefit of the dobut until I see actual proof that they are billing customers based on rounded up data. 

Problem Solver

Lakino wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

What I said is factually true.  Look at the data estimate on the website or your bill; It's always in increments of 0.1GB. XM shows data usage in increments of 0.1GB. That is a factual statement. 

What you've failed to prove -- and that's why I assert you purposely want to bring drama and start rumors -- is that XM is actually billing customers by calculating the bill using the roudned off data. I assert that XM calculates your final $$ charged based on actual data used, not the rounded data that you see online or listed in the bill. 

You start rumors when actual data does not support your allegations. I give XM the benefit of the dobut until I see actual proof that they are billing customers based on rounded up data. 

The 0.1 increments could be due to rounding, there is no way to tell. You're willing to live blind to the possibility, I'm not, I would like clarification from comcast.

ComcastKenF are you out there???

Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:

Lakino wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

The 0.1 increments could be due to rounding, there is no way to tell. You're willing to live blind to the possibility, I'm not, I would like clarification from comcast.

ComcastKenF are you out there???

I'm not opposed to clarification. I just don't like rumors started. 

I hope ComcastKenF indeed chimes in to provide some details of how XM actually calculates the bill. 

Problem Solver

Lakino wrote:

I'm not opposed to clarification. I just don't like rumors started. 

I hope ComcastKenF indeed chimes in to provide some details of how XM actually calculates the bill. 

Questioning is not starting rumors

Most Valued Poster

My billing period ends at midnight on Oct 6. This is the first month I have two phones activated with the mobile data turned off. Currently on phone 1 the mobile data is 1.88MB and phone 2 that was activated this month has 12.52MB. So we will see how it is billed.

Contributor

WindsurfMaui wrote:

My billing period ends at midnight on Oct 6. This is the first month I have two phones activated with the mobile data turned off. Currently on phone 1 the mobile data is 1.88MB and phone 2 that was activated this month has 12.52MB. So we will see how it is billed.

Thanks WindsurfMaui for offering your bill as an emperical data point to assess how XM is actually calculating the final amount charged for By The Gig data usage. It'll be quite illuminating. I'm sure you'll be up in arms too if XM ends up charging you $12 if your two lines continue to add up to less than 100MB of combined usage. Please do update this thread once you have your next bill. 

Frequent Visitor

My biilling cycle began on Sept. 25. So far there are around 30MB data usage of three phone lines combined.  However, Comcast online billing already shows $12 charge for the first one gigabyte.

Contributor

siudimsum wrote:

My biilling cycle began on Sept. 25. So far there are around 30MB data usage of three phone lines combined.  However, Comcast online billing already shows $12 charge for the first one gigabyte.

If that's the case, call XM or contact a Comcost employee here and contest it. I certain would if I were billed $12 if we only used 30MB in total for 3 lines. 

Most Valued Poster

My billing period ends in 4 days. So far phone 1 has used 2.33 MB and phone 2, that was turned on this month has used 12.84 MB. When I look at my current status on the XfinityMobile website it shows phone 1 as 0.0 GB usage and phone 2 as 0.1 GB. To me 0.1 GB looks like 100MB so technically 0.1 GB plus 2.33 MB is over 100 MB. It will interesting to see what the bill will be in 4 days.

Frequent Visitor

Just chat with the agent, the system shows my primary phone use 105 MB instead of 24MB according from my phone.  The agent can't pull data usage from my other two phones.  

Official Employee

Hello all. I see you all have been discussing data usage here for some time. Apologies for my absence. You’ll be charged by rounding up your data usage to the next GB at the end of each billing cycle. This means that if you use 2.2 GB of data, you’ll be charged for 3 GB, or $36. Each month, you start fresh.

I haven't come across info that we round up to the nearest 100th MB. I do know that the first 100MB is free and if you go above that amount, you will be charged for the first Gig of data. I encourage you all to take a look at apps that run in the background. Also check for settings that prioritize the best internet connection whether it be wi-Fi or data. I have an LG device and it prioritizes whatever connection is best. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

(not sure if this is exactly what the other users are talking about)

When first activated, my phone used about 7MB of data. OK, no big deal.

But then, every day it uses about 0.2 MB of data.

I have all data turned off, including turning off data for each app listed in Settings > Mobile Data.

The offender seems to be "Android System".

Most Valued Poster

Dan_472 wrote:

(not sure if this is exactly what the other users are talking about)

When first activated, my phone used about 7MB of data. OK, no big deal.

But then, every day it uses about 0.2 MB of data.

I have all data turned off, including turning off data for each app listed in Settings > Mobile Data.

The offender seems to be "Android System".

Yes that is the O/S checking for updates. Not sure if it will use mobile data or wifi when there is an update b/c we haven't received an update yet b/c the phones are so new!!  :>)