Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Data consumption

Frequent Visitor

Data consumption

On 2 lines I activated, when I did the setup (used wifi for this), I immediately disabled mobile data. When I checked my account online, they immediately showed 0.1GB used. What gives? Where was these data used?

I made test calls. I'm wondering, does VoLTE work even if mobile data is off? And does VoLTE count as data usage?

Contributor

Re: Data consumption

Both of mine show they same useage and I also turned mobile data off. SO I think the date useage is from setting up the phone since both of mine are identical.

Official Employee

Hi, cruzadel. VoLTE will not work if you don't have access to the 4G LTE network, so it would not work if mobile data is disabled. VoLTE would count as data usage as it utilizes the 4G LTE network. If you made test calls with VoLTE enabled that may have been where the data was used.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Hi ComcastMax, when I made the call, mobile data is disabled so as you say, VoLTE should also be disabled. So, where was the data used? Is it during power-on when the phone connects to the network and I have not yet turned off mobile data?

Official Employee

What kind of phone do you have?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

I too disabled Mobile Data right away and activated my phone using the web (via my computer) and over wifi. In the Mobile Data section of my phone (LG X Charge) I can see mobile data continues to be consumed by Android OS (which includes usage by several call related services).

Frequent Visitor

Hi ComcastMax,

I have an LG X-charge and a Note 8. Both show data usage of 0.1GB currently. Both have mobile data off.

Official Employee

It sounds like the data usage is due to the Android OS as per the example SunnyRadGal provided.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Problem Solver

Even if your phone has used 1bit of data (0.0001G of data, Xfinity rounds up, so it will show up as 0.1GB.  

Frequent Visitor

How does shared data work?

If I have 3 lines, does this mean I have 3GB total to share? So, how does Xfinity charge for this? Does Xfinity add up the data usage from the 3 lines and then determine the $12/GB charge, not charging each line individually?

Official Employee

Please stop creating new threads and post all of your questions or concerns here, cruzadel. Please visit https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/221764027/how-does-by-the-gig-work for information regarding how our By the Gig data usage plan works. The data usage is shared so you will be charged $12 per GB used (rounded up) across all of your lines that aren't unlimited.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

The way it was explained to me is on the Xfinity Mobile account page it shows the .1gb used and your "Bill So Far" as $0.00 (as a previous poster mentioned this is because they round up).  The 100mb is per account, not line. So yes the 3 phones usage will all go towards that 100mb.

When you go over the 100mb allowed, the "Bill So Far" will change to $12.00.

So basically you need to check your phone's system/data usage to keep detailed track, as the account page is kind of after the fact.  I set my phone to alert when I get to 90mb.

You can also set an account alert in Xfinity Mobile to email/txt as well but not sure if it notifies you are getting close or after you've hit the next level.

I used up 13mb right off the bat because I didn't think/was aware to set up wifi before. But I turned off mobile data and since setup have only used 2mb of data.  That was 2 weeks ago.

Regular Contributor

For those of us on the per Gig plan, granularity of .1G is pretty inadequate, especially when they round up. I'd like to know, for my 3 phones, does Comcast use the sum of the rounded up values to calculate my bill, or the sum of the actual data used?

Regular Visitor

I have 2 LG X Charge. For both of them the steps taken for activation was:

1) Remove Sim

2) Turn power on

3) Turn on wifi

4) Power off

5) Put Sim back in

6) Turn off data (need sim pluged in to turn of data)

7) Activate online

For one phone it shows 0.1G usage and another shows 0 G usage for data. How is it possible if mobile data is off?  I had IM'ed about it, and was told it is a known problem, but no other explanation, and was told not to worry.  With 0.1G offered shared between phones, how does one actually be able to really utilize the data without being charged for bogus usage?

As pointed out previously as the website only reports in 0.1G basis, one cannot tell how much data is still left before being charged at the next tier.

Frequent Visitor

volte doesn't count as against your data according to xfinity site...not that I trust anything from xfinity
Official Employee

Matt1925, You’ve got unlimited talk and text with XFINITY Mobile, so VoLTE voice calling is included at no additional charge.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

ComcastKenF wrote:

Matt1925, You’ve got unlimited talk and text with XFINITY Mobile, so VoLTE voice calling is included at no additional charge.

Message 3 from ComcastMax contradict this. So which is it?

Official Employee

VoLTE is included with service. However, apps running in the background during the call will be subject to data usage and will incur a charge (as necessary) for those folks with by the gig data. 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.