Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Cannot activate valid IMEI with XFINITY Mobile

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Cannot activate valid IMEI with XFINITY Mobile

I've been into the XFINITY retail store now eight times with no resolution in sight.

When the associate lookes up the IMEI number it initially said "MBD 500 Server error" now, after a week, it says my device is incompatible.

It's an unlocked iPhone 6S on Verizon, thus should be valid. The only issue I can see is that the phone was replaced by Apple under warrantee while I was with Verizon. I have confimed with Apple the device is still unlocked and confirmed a the IMEI is correct with Verizon.

XFINITY has called support and escalated numerous times. There's an open ticket for over a week now and no updates. This has been extremely frustrtating. 

A check on every IMEI verification site shows it as all-clear. Not blacklisted, not locked etc.

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot activate valid IMEI with XFINITY Mobile

Thank you for the feedback. I was able to eventually activate with Xfinity Mobile. The device was purchased through Apple not Verizon, and still worked.

1) A device enrolled in Apple’s Public Beta must be in unenrolled.

2) Wait 24 hours after removing the profile from the device and unenrolling.

3) Restore the device to a non-beta version before activating with Xfinity Mobile.

4) You can restore the backup of your beta version after its activated on Xfinity.
View answer in context
New Poster

I have been having the same problem the last couple days I've tried going in there with my unlocked at&t iphone 6s.

Regular Contributor

If the 6s is model A1633 it is for ATT/Tmobile and it is GSM system. 6s model A1688 is for Sprint/Verizon and is CDMA system. XM rides on Verizon therefore is CDMA so only the A1688 will work.

Regular Contributor

After some more research I came across this:   "Apple started selling a SIM-free, unlocked iPhone that works with “any supported carrier worldwide, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint in the United States.” Hidden inside a text link titled “Learn more about the SIM-free iPhone,” Apple notes that the SIM-free iPhone 6s is model A1633 — the AT&T".

This means you have to buy a sim- free A1633 model from Apple that is not attached to any carrier, only this will work for all carriers. Otherwise the A1633 from ATT or Tmobile, unlocked is still GSM only.

Frequent Visitor

The phone model is A1633 and is 'sim-free'. It's currently being used with Verizon. Since XFINITY is an MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) using the Verizon Network, it shouldn't be an issue.

My spouses phone was purchased full price, both with no payment plan, at the same time and will work with XFINITY, mine, however, has the issue of getting past IMEI check. And mine was the only one the was replaced by Apple. There may be no actual connection with the replcement, but it's the only thing I can think of.

New Poster

My issue exactly except with an unlocked iPhone X. Im pretty frustrated with XM that no one seems to have a clue why this is not possible and is not willing to research to resolution. Their resolution is to keep calling back and maybe it'll eventually work. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Regular Contributor

A 1865 sprint/verizon for the X, that is the CDMA.

Official Employee

dtshaw82, is your iPhone a part of the iOS beta tester program? If so, your IMEI won't work with XFINITY Mobile until you remove your IMEI as a beta tester. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Indeed, it was part of the Apple Beta Tester program. I have removed the profile from the device and removed my account from the program through Apple.

I did go into a retail store today but still had the same issue, however it was only about 24 hours from unenrolling (I was in the area). I assume it may take some time for the IMEI to be cleared again? Is this an automated process through a clearinghouse of sorts?

I'll visit the store again after a few business days to try again. I also assume the actual iOS version on the physical phone would not matter?
Official Employee

dtshaw82, 

Cool. I do not know the passage of time that needs to take place. All I know, from other forums users, that if you are in the beta program, the IMEI won't be accepted. When they went back to activate (didn't specify timing), they were able to do so without issue. 

KenF

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I've still had no success with Comcast... Xfinity's Retail 360 system still says my device, an iPhone 6s (A1633), Unlocked on Verizon, not enrolled in the Apple Beta Program, has an invalid IMEI. I've contacted Verizon and the correct number is in their system, active with no issue. I've even tried to begin the enrollment process with my device on Verizon as a new customer, just to check the IMEI and it said it was eligible (valid and not blacklisted etc.)

The problem appears to be Retail 360, which all Xfinity agents have agreed and two tickets have been opened. One ticket has been open for over three weeks and the associate has yet to reply when I ask what the status is. I assume they haven't fixed it so she's ignoring me.

Most Comcast staff have been very unhelpful, only saying 'I don't know' with no willingness to actually TRY to figure it out or pick up the phone to call support. They just say I should buy a new phone from them, despite my device meeting the specifications and having nothing wrong with it.

Official Employee

dtshaw82, I've opened tickets for forums users regarding this issue and XFINITY Mobile support isn't equipped to resolved BYOD issues. That can only be done in store. 

If the device wasn't purchased from Verizon, (let's say it was brought from Apple and then used on Verizon), it doesn't qualify. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the feedback. I was able to eventually activate with Xfinity Mobile. The device was purchased through Apple not Verizon, and still worked.

1) A device enrolled in Apple’s Public Beta must be in unenrolled.

2) Wait 24 hours after removing the profile from the device and unenrolling.

3) Restore the device to a non-beta version before activating with Xfinity Mobile.

4) You can restore the backup of your beta version after its activated on Xfinity.
New Poster

Don’t feel bad, I bought my phone from Comcast mobile and they blacklisted on accident. I’ve called over ten times to try to get it resolved and they always tell me 48 hours and yet it’s been over a month. So I stopped paying the bill for that phone.
Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation