Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can't text to AT&T

ANSWERED
New Poster

Can't text to AT&T

Anyone else having trouble texting people that are on AT&T?  My wife and I both have Samsung S8s, and people we text that have AT&T are not receiving our messages. MMS messages seem to work fine, only text/SMS messages are the problem.  Not receiving any sort of 'delivery failed' message either.  People just simply are not receiving our texts.  Texting to other Xfinity Mobile or Verizon phones works perfect.

I've tried texting both with WiFi on and off to possibly rule out WiFi vs cellular network.  This made no difference.  Additionally, geographic location doesn't seem to make a difference either.  Messages to AT&T will not be received whether we're at home or work.  Home and work are both far enough apart that I'm certain we are connected to different towers.  We're both just using the stock Samsung texting app.  There's nothing special or different about either of our phone configurations--never touched the network settings other than adding wireless networks.  Finally, my cell signal seems perfectly adequate at all locations.  No weak signal, no trouble with any phone calls.

I'm hesistant to call into support about this since their first resolution is to always "Reset network settings" which will erase all previously-connected to wireless networks and bluetooth devices.  That, and both of our phones have the exact same issue--if in fact it actually has anything to do with our phones, which I very much doubt.

So, anyone have any ideas?  Think this is an Xfinity issue, Verizon issue (since Xfinity uses their network), AT&T issue, or my problem that just happens to affect both phones?

EDIT: Should also add, no trouble at all RECEIVING texts from AT&T phones whatsoever. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't text to AT&T

aj5150, I've had customers do this before for text message errors--usually a back end provisioning issue. Glad to hear you're seeing improvement though. 

I personally, don't use my native text message app (I have an LG G6). I use an app called Textra which is pretty great. Maybe try that out and see if you're getting the same problem?

KenF

View answer in context
Valued Contributor

I have no experience with Samsung phones but out of curiosity I did a little internet research. The problem you are experiencing seems to be one variety of known texting issues between Samsung and AT&T. You may want to play around with the Advanced Messaging feature (see the second link) and see if it improves anything.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/galaxy-s8-missing-texts/

https://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Advanced-Messaging-Issue/td-p/5296523

Official Employee

aj5150, have you  tried suspending and then reactivating your account via the XFINITY Mobile site? 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

@SunnyRadGal

Thanks very much for your reply.  I had no idea what Advanced Messaging even is.  After reading up on it, it seems like it's only an AT&T thing.  I don't even have those options on my phone.  Thank you for the reply though!

@ComcastKen

Thank you for your reply.  I don't see a easy way to toggle on/off my account to suspend it.  I only see a customer service number to call into under that option.  May I ask what that would actually do to resolve the texting issue?

The problem seems to have resolved itself within the past week or so.  People on AT&T that my wife and I text have recieved all of our messages to the best of our knowledge.  We both tried using the stock Samsung Messaging app and Chomp SMS (I had used Chomp for years without really any problems like this).  In the end, messages sent to AT&T using the stock Samsung app seemed to be more reliable than Chomp, although the problem DID exist using the stock app as well.  Over the past several days, all messages have been delivered (at least we think...)

Any ideas as to why are still welcome.  If this by chance is anything I can prevent from happening again I'm happy to do it!

Thank you both again.

Official Employee

aj5150, I've had customers do this before for text message errors--usually a back end provisioning issue. Glad to hear you're seeing improvement though. 

I personally, don't use my native text message app (I have an LG G6). I use an app called Textra which is pretty great. Maybe try that out and see if you're getting the same problem?

KenF

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

ComcastKen, thank you again for your reply.  Maybe I'll pursue the suspending/re-provisioning if the problem returns.  You still think that could be the issue though, or would fix it since literally all texts to Verizon and Xfinity people worked fine?

Thanks for the Textra tip.  I just installed it and really like it.  Ironic that it's made by Delicious who also makes Chomp, which I used for probably the past 5 years.  I'll stick with Textra for a while.  Already tested with a few AT&T people and they got my messages.  Like Textra FAR better than the stock app.

Thanks again.

Official Employee

It could be--we won't be certain until it happens it again (crosses fingers that this is not the case). 

Cool. I also love Textra. Super clean look and very customizable. Let me know if you need anything else. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation