Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can not leave xfinity mobile for verizon

Frequent Visitor

Can not leave xfinity mobile for verizon

Where to start? I was thinking of switching to verizon or verizon prepaid from xfinity mobile. The reason I have for this:

1.) high ping times compared to Verizon

2.) No Wifi Calling

3.) No number share if I decide to get a gear s3  or for that matter a seperate plan for the gear s3

First thing to do:

1.) get unlock code. So I send a text to Xfinity Support

2.) Hmm no response with unlock code.... better try again

3.) tried again .. no Response .

4.) tried again .. no Response

5.) Its been weeks now so I guess I am gong to have to call...I call and get an unlock code

6.)  Placed Verizon sim in Phone rebooted and entered unlock code  ... phone said successful

7.) contacted Verizon ... gave IMEI number.. opps problem.. that IMEI comes up as an unsupported device..

8.) Called xfinity ... "do you know anything about this?"   they don't 

9.) Called back Verizon .. got a different person same thing about the IMEI unsupported.

10.) Went to level 2 support at Verizon ... still IMEI Issue

What to do?  well I have no idea and why should I?   Is it a Samsung problem... a Verizon problem ... an xfinity problem..  I guess its a me problem for now. 

Any Idea on why this is happening and have others had this issue.... 

A question I have is that since wifi calling is not an option on my s8 under xfinity If I switch to verizon will it suddenly appear as an option or will it always be hidden?

Thanks for reading this. If you got this far any help would be appreciated. 

Contributor

Re: Can not leave xfinity mobile for verizon

Hello Verizon , I want to have cell service with you

Hello Xfinity , I want to discontinue my service 

Frequent Visitor

Oh if only it was that easy ;-)

"Hello Xfinity , I want to discontinue my service"  - that is not the way it works. I imagine if you told xfinity you wanted to stop service you could lose your number.

"Hello Verizon , I want to have cell service with you" I tried that and they said NO not with that IMEI

https://www.verizonwireless.com/bring-your-own-device/#checkDevice  <--- site is to check IMEI for BYOD with verizon. When I enter my IMEI it says call customer service.

Problem Solver

Very strange. I just entered the IMEI for my S8+, and it shows as OK to activate on VZW (although I have no intention).
Frequent Visitor

Thanks cam30era for checking. I have the s8 not the s8+ but that goes a long way to tell me its probably isolated to my phone.  I originally had my phone on a payment plan before just paying it off. I wonder if maybe that is the cause of my issue.  

Problem Solver

Perhaps. Maybe it takes a while for the payed off status to be reflected in your account... FWIW, my S8+ was purchased outright.
Frequent Visitor

I payed the phone off at least 2 months ago.  I wonder if I am the first person to have a payment plan .. pay it off .. then try an switch to verizon? the mystery continues. Comcast feel free to chime in on this :-) . 

Official Employee

jrose78, that's a little strange. Once your device is unlocked, you can use it with other networks, especially if they are CDMA. 

The only time I would guess if a device was unsupported is if the IMEI was blocked. Did you report the device as lost and then find it?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

No, I have never reported my phone lost or stolen.  You are welcome to reach out to Verizon and check for yourself.  Give them my IMEI and watch them go  "ahh thats odd it" then you will hear some clicking from their keyboard and they will say "whats model of phone did you say you have"    ... pause  ... "its coming up as an unsupported device"  (or something to that effect)  :-) . 

I would normally think that maybe I got a new rep who just isn't doing something right but I have spoken to 3 reps about switching to their service and the story is always the same .  

Frequent Visitor

I have a voicemail from verizon saying they can not activate my imei and that I should talk to the company I bought the phone from. I can forward you that voicemail comcast if that helps. 

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Check your IMEI here, and see what it says
Frequent Visitor

I get this. What did you get

cell.PNG

Problem Solver

Quite a bit different:
Official Employee

jrose78, hmm OK. I can take a closer look. Please send me your full name, address and account number via private message. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Its like my phone was never born!!!!! oh noooo!  .  

I sent the info. Thanks for looking into this Ken :-)  and a super thank you to cam30era!

Frequent Visitor

So I am still waiting to hear back on this from Comcast. While waiting I happened upon this article https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp  which I found a great read about GSM vs CDMA. The article mention something to the effect that even though Verizon uses sim cards they still have a network white list .... I thought to myself maybe my phone was never added to that whitelist.   I have been told by ComcastKen that my IMEI looks ok on his end even though it is obviously not.  Verizon has refused to support the phone and also numerous sites where you can enter a IMEI have said there is an issue in some fasion.  I feel bad for someone not technical that has my problem as they would simple not be able to switch carriers.  ComcastKen ... Has level 2 support got back to you on this?  

Note:  cam30era removed his original link . The link was to https://swappa.com/esn so you can check your IMEI #