Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

BYODi Bring your own iphone

ANSWERED
New Poster

BYODi Bring your own iphone

K. hoping someone can help me for a bit.

I have been a customer already for 3-4 months.  Service and price have been great, customer service has not really been needed but the one or two times I have called it has been fine.

I originally bought two LG Charge Android phones.  When they arrived I swapped the sim to my 2 unlocked iphone 8+, they worked fine except for Visual Voicemail (use Youmail) and Personal Hotspot.

Now that bring your own iphone is supported I went to a store, explained the situation and asked to have my phones that area already "on" xfinity mobile be put on xfinity mobile. lol.

They weren't able to help but I did leave with two new SIM cards.  I have switched one of the phones over to the new SIM card, but still do not have visual voicemail or hotspot.

The problem as I see it, is that my account still thinks I have two LG Charge that have a IMEI # that is NOT the same as my iPhone's IMEI number obviously.  But my iphone IMEI number has not been added to Xfinity so none of the iphone specific features and bits have been provisioned to my account / device yet.

How do I get my IMEI added to the system?  This is what bring your own iphone means right? If I was not already a customer how would they do it?

Thanks!  Again not really a complaint, the service has been great and is saving me tons of money over VZW direct.  But I would love to use the Hotspot features of my iphone if it is possible.  Hopefully without closing and opening a new account or something crazy like that.  Please help me provision my phones.

Accepted Solution

Re: BYODi Bring your own iphone

kgibso01, glad to hear your experience has been good. 

The current BYOD program is only for new lines of service-- that is to say, "new activations". The current BYOD program does not extend to preexisting lines of service. 

View answer in context
Official Employee

kgibso01, glad to hear your experience has been good. 

The current BYOD program is only for new lines of service-- that is to say, "new activations". The current BYOD program does not extend to preexisting lines of service. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Highlighted
New Poster

k so can I "close" my account and open new lines of service.

Or are you saying I can bring my phone number along with me and byod?

Contributor

Chances are if you look under devices under the mobile app  you’ll see the IMEI number is  the correct number for the phone you are currently using .  However, it seems that Xfinity mobile maintains an “equipment” list of IMEI numbers  representing those of phones sold.

If your iPhone is not on the sold list -enhanced Voice LTE, Voicemail and  personal hotspot ( not sure if anything else)  are disabled .  It often takes a few weeks for these features to be turned off.

No one on this site can understand why Xfinity Mobile doesn’t enable compatible iPhone devices.

Official Employee

kgibso01, If you want to take part in the current BYOD trial, the iPhones must be a new line of service/activation. Porting a number over an existing number doesn't make it a new line of service. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

thanks for the time and reply have a good day.

Regular Contributor

wpaulo wrote:

Chances are if you look under devices under the mobile app  you’ll see the IMEI number is  the correct number for the phone you are currently using .  However, it seems that Xfinity mobile maintains an “equipment” list of IMEI numbers  representing those of phones sold.

If your iPhone is not on the sold list -enhanced Voice LTE, Voicemail and  personal hotspot ( not sure if anything else)  are disabled .  It often takes a few weeks for these features to be turned off.

No one on this site can understand why Xfinity Mobile doesn’t enable compatible iPhone devices.

wpaul, one more to add to your list. Our MMS also doesn't work for our iPhone 7 Plus. SMS works. I did extensive testing. I'm pretty sure MMS doesn't work for iPhones not purchased directly from XM.

edited: MMS works when "Celluar Data" is turned ON. If Celluar Data is turned OFF -- even if you have WIFI connection -- MMS will NOT work.

Frequent Visitor

Just did the testing today on newly activated iPhone 7 Plus BYOD and the MMS is perfectly working. It will not work if the DATA (LTE) is tuned off. When I toggle it (Cellular Data) On, the MMS sent successfully.

Official Employee

wpaulo wrote:

wpaul, one more to add to your list. Our MMS also doesn't work for our iPhone 7 Plus. SMS works. I did extensive testing. I'm pretty sure MMS doesn't work for iPhones not purchased directly from XM.

Lakino, did you try this with cellular data turned on like sgdodin suggested?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

ComcastKenF wrote:
wpaulo wrote:

Lakino, did you try this with cellular data turned on like sgdodin suggested?

Wow. Learn something new all the time with Verizon/CDMA/XM. Yup, as sgdodin said, turn on Celluar an MMS worked. It has to be celluar data. Even if you have WIFI connection but have celluar data turned off on the iPhone, MMS will not work. Celluar Data has to be turned on for MMS to work. Wow! Crazy stuff. Thanks.

Official Employee

Lakino, cool glad that works. 

Cheers, 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation