members

online now

discussions

Activation issues

SOLVED
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 11

Last week I ordered a Galaxy S7, an S7 edge,  and two LG X Charge phones. The LGs were on backorder, just now shipping, but we received the Samsung phones today. I ordered the Samsungs over the web, and told the system that I planned to activate them using new numbers. However, after the order was placed, I decided I wanted to port another number from a StraightTalk  phone to the S7 edge. So I called support and was told this was no problem, that I would be given the chance to choose during the activation process.

So, after receiving the phones I proceeded to the activation page. I immediately noticed the warning that once activation was begun with a new number I wouldn't be able to port an existing number instead.  There is also a link that says 'Keep your current number', and a button that says ' Start Activation'. Because I only want a new number on it, I began with the regular S7, and clicked the start activation button. Everything seemed to go well, and I came to a message telling me to wait a couple of minutes for an email telling me what to do next to complete the process.

While waiting I went back to the account page and clicked the link by the S7 edge to keep my current number. That took me to a screen with a prompt to enter the number being ported and select the company it is being ported from. After entering the number and selecting StraightTalk, I clicked on the continue button. After a second or so the page flashed some text on the button and then it returned to saying continue. The same two fields, still containing my phone number and StraightTalk, we're shown. Nowhere was I prompted for the account number and pin number that I expected. Hitting continue again only resulted in the same thing happening. 

At this point I still hadn't received the email for the other phone, even though I'd spent 30 minutes or so messing with the port page to no effect. So I called the support number, and after a short wait got a live person (!). This person could only tell me that both phones showed as pending activation, even though I never managed to enter the additional info needed to complete the port. After a few minutes I was told that I would be transferred to someone else who might be able to address the porting problem. Unfortunately, I was instead placed back in the queue for regular support. The second person transferred me again, and finally the third person claimed to be ready and able to help fix whatever was wrong. 

After much reentering of information, it was disclosed that NEITHER of the two phone activations was going anywhere, and that nothing we tried had changed anything. I was then told that a ticket was being created for tier 2 support, my contact number was taken, and I was given the ticket number. 

So here I am with two phones, neither of which has been (our apparently IS being) activated, and I don't know if or when to expect a callback. Interestingly, my account page shows 'In progress' below the Start Activation buttons for each of the two phones now. 

I think this is going to end badly for me. .  :-(

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 11
Solution

The frustrating part is that while I now at least have the old number back, it's on the wrong phone. . Smiley Sad

I'm glad to hear you were able to get your number ported, USA1fan. The phone number is attached to the sim card. If you swap the sims, you can have whichever number on whatever phone. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
10 REPLIES
Highlighted
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 2 of 11

I have 3 Xfinity Mobile lines, 2 ported from another carrier and 1 with a new number. At the time I placed the orders, I was asked if I wanted to keep my current number or just get a new number. When I chose to keep the current number, I was aked to enter the current phone number I wanted to keep and select the current carrier from the drop-down menu. Then in the order confirmation email, there was a link for me to get to my XM account to enter the account number, PIN... for the port. I believe you must decide whether you want to port your number or just get a new number at the time you place the order. I don't think you can change this option after you've placed the order because XM already chose a number for the line I ordered with I want a new number option when I activated it. I am interested to learn what the XM agents have to say about this.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 11

That was my understanding of how it worked when I initially placed the orders, which is why I called (twice) and asked. I was prepared to cancel the new order before it was processed so that I could place the order again using the port option. But I was assured by both representatives that I could still port the number when I got the phone. 

Anyway, it appears that those representatives were wrong, as were the ones I was working with last evening. My activations DID go through, but both phones got new numbers. So now I have the fun time of updating all the contacts that I've given the old number to.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 4 of 11

Yup, when you ordered a line with the new number option, you would not have the options to do anything when you click the button Activate. A new number had been chosen for this line by XM. I have a line with new number option that I forwarded my favorite Google Voice number to so I didn't care which number XM would give me.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 5 of 11

Same here, when I ordered my wife's LG I selected new number.  Today, I got the order confirmation from XM via email.  There was a button to press to start the number porting process so for grins and chuckles I pressed it to see where it would lead.  The answer is nowhere.  It did not take me anywhere to start the process if I had wanted to.  Moral of the story, if you select new number when you order, the die is cast.  End of story the way I see it.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 11

Now I'm really confused and more than a little frustrated. We received the two LG X Charges today. Both of these were ordered for new numbers. I activated the first using the web site, and had an email and activation in under a minute from starting the process.  Fast! 

Here's the confusing part- I called in to activate the second phone, avoiding the web site altogether. I told the agent that I wanted to port my old number to the phone, so he took my information and started the process. We waited for around an hour, checking three times to see if porting had completed. Finally he took my callback number and told me he intended to call me back a few hours later to see if the porting and activation had gone through. Half an hour later I powered on the phone again and successfully connected to xfinity mobile with my old number on the new phone! 

So it's definitely possible to port a number to a phone ordered with the new number preference, but apparently not through the web site. I think my port attempt yesterday failed because I first attempted it through the activations portal web page before calling in. 

The frustrating part is that while I now at least have the old number back, it's on the wrong phone. . Smiley Sad

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 7 of 11

It's good to know that's possible.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 8 of 11
It is possible because I did it, but not thru the website. I did it with an agent on chat. Port went through fine, in about 30 minutes, from Sprint to XM.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 11

Super confusing considering some people were sent a whole new phone with the ability to port in their number just because the "system didn't allow them to port on a device that was chosen a new number initially...". It's hard to believe anything anyone says... Every rep is like talking to a different company with different policies.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 11
Solution

I'm glad to hear you were able to get your number ported, USA1fan. The phone number is attached to the sim card. If you swap the sims, you can have whichever number on whatever phone. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 11 of 11