Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

480P MAX VIDEO RESOLUTION AND HOTSPOT SPEED CAP TO 600 Kbps

Frequent Visitor

480P MAX VIDEO RESOLUTION AND HOTSPOT SPEED CAP TO 600 Kbps

Just got an e-mail from xfinity. E-mail states in regards to the unlimited plan, they will be restricting the streaming video resolution to 480p while on the 4G network, if we want up to 720p its an extra monthly fee.

Also restricting hotspot speeds to 600 Kbps. 

I knew i should not have left Sprint for xfinity. What a scam they pulled by advertising the unlimited plan with the only restriction being a slow down after 20 GB used in a month to get people to join and then start these restrictions now. 

If my video gets capped to 480p, as well as hotspot getting capped at 600 Kbps I'm leaving comcast for good and getting all verizon services.

New Poster

Re: 480P MAX VIDEO RESOLUTION AND HOTSPOT SPEED CAP TO 600 Kbps

I’m going to leave Comcast as well
New Poster

Agreed. Infuriating. I just switched to the unlimited option yesterday and received the email today. Tonight I will be laying out my steps to get rid of comcast altogether as well. 

Hotspot really bothers me as I use this for work with some frequency and my children use it for entertainment on our monthly car trips back to see family. Here is xfinity's position based on my review in advance of switching: https://www.xfinity.com/hub/mobile/tethering-hotspots Some excerpts:

Does connecting to a hotspot use data? Yes, tethering uses your cellphone plan data, so if you pay per GB, you’ll want to use it sparingly. If you have unlimited data, tethering is very useful.

Does it cost more? While most cellular carriers have stopped charging extra fees to turn on hotspots (it’s now a feature built into the hardware of all iPhones and Android phones), you may need to be on a higher plan to get a good speed or to get a “data bonus” for your hotspotting activities. Xfinity Mobile doesn’t charge additional fees for using your phone as a hotspot, and you can activate it on either of its plans.

Both hotspots and tethering are excellent ways to stay connected easily and seamlessly wherever you are. Just be aware of the security risks of using an unsecured network, and be sure to opt for a secure network or tethering to protect your personal information.

Now the new position:

If you have the Unlimited data option, your speeds on any device connected to a personal hotspot will not exceed 600 Kbps. At this speed, you'll conserve data so that it takes longer to reach the 20 GB threshold but you'll still be able to do many of the online activities you enjoy.

Want faster speeds when using a personal hotspot? The By the Gig data option will continue to deliver 4G speeds for all data traffic.

Contributor

I've received this email as well, don't care much about video, but 600kb/s per device is draconian limit! I use the hotspot as an emergency network connectivity on the road for work. This really a bad move. How can they call this unlimited? I will somewhat understand limit 3-5 Mb/s per device but can't accept 600kb/s! 

Contributor

Pure bait-and-switch!!!  We have been with Xfinity Mobile for 2 months.  This service had been a bright spot compared with the other areas of Xfinity.   That all changed with this email.  Their justification is just salt in the wound.  I will look to migrate away from Xfinity to a better service.

;-(

New Poster

Would this be considered a change in contract which should allow anyone to cancel without any penalties or fees? 

Contributor

Guys,

It's because Verizon just did the same thing to their unlimited plan. Verizon cant have XM offer better plan.
Screenshot_20180701-135528_Chrome.jpg
New Poster

I disagree entirely. Unless I am mistaken, that Verizon plan has been like that for months (January?). By that logic it would be NBD if xfinity decided to start charging $75/month just to keep up. I agreed to a 20gb limit and I see no reason why comcast should have to dictate how I use it (short of them wanting to make more money). The hotspot limitation effectively eliminates hotspot use from the unlimited plan. 

What else will they change now that they have conned people into leaving their carriers?

Contributor

Yawn. You guys (XM) couldn't actually be good for something? You are literally the worst and it's almost as if you purposely seek out new ways to keep your name on the list of companies with the worst customer experience.
Contributor

Would this be considered a change in contract which should allow anyone to cancel without any penalties or fees? 

Xfinifty does not have contracts and you can cancel anytime with no penalty or fees, unless you owe money on a phone.. You would have to pay the balance due..

New Poster

Is anyone aware if there is a time period that allows people retirm the phone without fulling paying it offor facing penalities/fees? Assuming the phone is undamaged natually. 

Frequent Visitor

The return policy is 14 days from purchase date (used to be 30 days, another sh*tty change they made recently) in order to do a terminal return and get your full refund back. After the 14 days you can still cancel service without penalities as there's no contract with XM. The phone is yours to keep after 14 days, however if you financed a phone you will still be responsible to make your payments.

What a croc of sh*t, their justification is to "conserve data". BS it's 2018 if no one can't manage their data by now then don't own a smartphone it's the customer responsbility. Them telling us how to use how our own data and to pay more is total scam. Especially when I signed up for the unlimited plan on day one few months ago it was no where stated in the terms of service besides after the 20gbs the speeds are reduced until the new billing cycle starts. File a complaint with FCC website, I did and already got a call from the XM corporate dept yesterday, they left a VM and sent an email I will return their call today. This rule should apply for new customers only and we should be considered the "grandfathered unlimited" plan with XM. They need to create a seperate unlimited plan for new customers that includes this garbarge restrctions and leave the ones who had the unlimited plan since they started service the way it is.

New Poster

I wonder how my credit card company would interpret this situation....

New Poster

I remember from years ago, if there's a change to the terms of service created by the celluar company, you have 30 days to cancel without an early termination fee after the change to TOS. I would probably consider new limitation a change to the TOS.
Contributor

Xfinity does not have contracts, hence no ETF's..
Regular Contributor

You can leave at any time, that's another XM bonus. There's always another bus waiting for you if you don't enjoy this ride.
Frequent Visitor

Verizon did do this "throttling" to their customers back in the beginning of the year. (Correction: July of 2017. - https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/22/verizon-throttles-video-for-good-with-its-new-not-so-unlimited-unl...) And that means that since Xfinity Mobile uses Verizon's cellular network, there was internal knowledge of this plan long before even Verizon did it. So Xfinity Mobile was enticing customers to come to XM while the whole time they knew that they were going to soon pull the rug out from under them, and change up the terms - the very same terms that enticed the customers to join in the first place. That is shady, Shady, SHADY.!

I filed an FCC complaint and I suggest that everyone do that. Here; https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us I have already been contacted by Executive Escalations.. Apparently, there is already a lot of push back on this. (No doubt) They're going to "look into it". LOL OK. Still, they probably won't do anything.

Followed up with another call to the FCC just today to file a rebuttal complaint with them,. and the person I spoke to informed me that Xfinity Mobile has not yet confirmed that they have resolved my complaint yet. The FCC rep suggested that I give it a little more time, but that if I am not satisfied with the XM response, to file the rebuttal complaint. I asked him if anything would come of all of this, and he said that if they reach a certain complaint level they will open an investigation. So I asked him if there were a lot of complaints and he said that there were, and that they were growing quickly. I asked what other options were available to me regarding this situation, and he suggested contacting the Federal Trade Commission @ 877-382-4357

I will be doing that tomorrow.

Regular Contributor

The same FCC that threw out net neutrality??? You will have better luck changing XM's mind and them giving you a rebate card for your trouble.
Frequent Visitor

If XM can provide the option to toggle the "data saver" on & off similar to t-mobile (see screenshot) then they can save themselves, until then I left and have no plan on returning.

IMG_20180715_222654_439(1).jpg