New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

100MB free + $12 per gig confusion

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

100MB free + $12 per gig confusion

Assuming a single line on the By-The-Gig plan, after 100MB of free data is used, a $12 charge will be added to the account.

Question:  When will the account be charged a second $12?  After 1GB of usage, or 1.1 GB of usage?

To put it another way, does the first $12 charge give 1Gig of data, or just 900 megabytes?

Accepted Solution

Re: 100MB free + $12 per gig confusion

So, $12 just adds 900 megabytes to the free 100 megabytes, and then after that adds a full gigabyte for an additional $12.

I recommend this be made more explicit, so customers know that the 100 "free" megabytes is counted as usage against the first gigabyte charge.

View answer in context
Regular Contributor

I don't know the official answer but I think it is safe to assume you will be charged for the second GB after you pass the 1.0 mark.

New Poster

The official answer is that the first 100mb per billing period. Not per gig. So you essentially won't get a $12 charge until you pass that 100mb. Seriously that WILL be hard to not pass. You should turn off roaming data for starters  It's under the cellular tab in your phone settings. Then find roaming and set it to voice only. I use just under a gig each month so I pay for just my $12 but I still need to turn it on from time to time. They have WiFi everywhere but not "everywhere" I go.

Frequent Visitor

That wasn't my question.  I'll try to re-phrase it:

During one billing cycle, after being charged for the first gigabyte,  when are we charged for the SECOND gigabyte on a single-line plan?  Is it after passing 1 gigabyte or 1.1 gigabytes? 

I'm looking for assurance that when we pay that first $12 charge we are indeed getting a full gigabyte, not just 900 megabytes.

Regular Contributor

Yes keep data services off if you don't want to pay for data. I was just looking at my monthly wifi usage and I used 10GB's in a month. 4 GB's running the speedtest.net alone!!! And only 2 GB's on Youtube.

Valued Contributor

To OP, I understand your concern and this is what Xfinity Mobile has not been clear about. I played a bit with their plan charges as compared with other carriers on this page: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/plan . I fugured out that as soon as we pass the 100MB free data mark, XM will start to charge us $12 for the 1st GB which includes the free 100MB. As soon as we pass the 1GB mark, and NOT 1.1GB, we will be charged for the 2nd GB, which will bring the total we've got to pay for data at this point to $24 (2 x $12/GB ). Note that there will be no partial refunds, meaning we will pay $12/GB even though we might not use up the extra 1GB.

Unless XM reps have something to say differently about this, that's what/how I believe XM is charging us on the By the Gig plan.

Regular Contributor

Yes I think you have that exactly right. The first 100MB isn't actually free but on loan. If you don't use more than 100MB no extra charge. But if you go over the 100MB mark then that 100MB is part of the first GB.

Official Employee

Assuming a single line on the By-The-Gig plan, after 100MB of free data is used, a $12 charge will be added to the account.

Question:  When will the account be charged a second $12?  After 1GB of usage, or 1.1 GB of usage?

To put it another way, does the first $12 charge give 1Gig of data, or just 900 megabytes?

Hey everyone. 

The XFINITY Mobile plan comes with 100MB built in. Meaning, if you stay at 100MB or below, you will not have a service charge (just pay the cost of the phone +taxes if applicable). Otherwise, it is $12 per Gig of data. If you use 1.1 GB of data, for example, you will be charged an additional $12 for the additional gig (we round up to the nearest Gig).

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

So, $12 just adds 900 megabytes to the free 100 megabytes, and then after that adds a full gigabyte for an additional $12.

I recommend this be made more explicit, so customers know that the 100 "free" megabytes is counted as usage against the first gigabyte charge.

New Poster

I got charged $12, it said I used 0.2GB which is 200mb. so as soon as you go over 100mb you get charged $12.
Problem Solver

above3000 wrote:
I got charged $12, it said I used 0.2GB which is 200mb. so as soon as you go over 100mb you get charged $12.

Correct.  That's exactly what I understood and expected from XM's terms of service.

Frequent Visitor

I bought two lines. From one of the cellphones I managed to only use 13MB and the other about 70MB. The total should be less than 100MB. But the current cycle activities shows like this:

1st phone: 0.1 GB

2nd phone: 0.1 GB

and totally charged $12 for 1 GB.

How to explain this? Does that mean if I have two phone then regardless how little I use it will charge 1 GB in default? What if the total usage is greater than 100MB but each phone are consumed under 100MB? Will it be treated as 0.2+0.2 and charge 2GB for both?

Problem Solver

johnwayne98006 wrote:

I bought two lines. From one of the cellphones I managed to only use 13MB and the other about 70MB. The total should be less than 100MB. But the current cycle activities shows like this:

How to explain this? Does that mean if I have two phone then regardless how little I use it will charge 1 GB in default? What if the total usage is greater than 100MB but each phone are consumed under 100MB? Will it be treated as 0.2+0.2 and charge 2GB for both?

You should repost this on this other thread. We have been trying to determine how comcast counts data and are posting our results there.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Data-usage-when-there-should-be-none/td-p/2951284

Official Employee

Yes, if you have two lines on your account and they have both (collectively) gone over the 100MB free limit, your account will be charged the $12 for the first gig of service. The first 100MB is the only part that is free. Anything above that is not. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

I think the question here is why is something less than 100MB being labeled .1GB But I will know the answer to this tomorrow morning b/c my billing period ends tonight.

Official Employee

I see. I can't go off what a device reports for data usage because I can't see those specific numbers. I can only see what our system registers as data use.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

Yes we are just hoping the label is just a rounding as a label and not the actual counting. That the actual counting will be 2.xxMB + 12.xxMB =14.xx MB and so less thahn 100MB and not be billed. But again I will know tonight and will post to the thread tomorrow.

Problem Solver

ComcastKenF wrote:

I see. I can't go off what a device reports for data usage because I can't see those specific numbers. I can only see what our system registers as data use.

Why does your system only have a resolution of 0.1G?

Problem Solver

johnwayne98006 wrote:

johnwayne98006 What brand/model phones do you have?

Official Employee

What do you mean by resolution of .1G? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Problem Solver

ComcastKenF wrote:

When we look at our account, the smallest amount of data that is shown is 0.1G. So at what point does it show 0.1G: 100M, 50M, etc etc. From some reports, it seems that there is some rounding up that is going on. Looking at johnwayne98006's post one of his phones only recorded 13M = 0.013G, so how does that get reported as 100M = 0.1G. Yes some extra data may be used due to data loss that the phone would not record but not that much.

Regular Contributor

In the XfinityMobile app. I have 2 phones. The first phone has used 2.67MB but is listed as 0.0GB under activity. Phone 2 that was activated this month shows 13.04MB but is listed as 0.1GB. So why is 13.04MB listed as 0.1GB? My guess is that the label only allows this rounded number. I would suggest that Xfinity not use a rounded number because it will freak out many customers who are new to the system and those new customers will spent a lot of CSR time calling in frustrated over the potential of being billed in error.

Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

In the XfinityMobile app. I have 2 phones. The first phone has used 2.67MB but is listed as 0.0GB under activity. Phone 2 that was activated this month shows 13.04MB but is listed as 0.1GB. So why is 13.04MB listed as 0.1GB? My guess is that the label only allows this rounded number. I would suggest that Xfinity not use a rounded number because it will freak out many customers who are new to the system and those new customers will spent a lot of CSR time calling in frustrated over the potential of being billed in error.

But if you look at johnwayne98006's post, his current charge is $12 for 83Mb being displayed as 0.2G. How is this report just a display issue? Just doesn't make sense.

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:

When we look at our account, the smallest amount of data that is shown is 0.1G. So at what point does it show 0.1G: 100M, 50M, etc etc. From some reports, it seems that there is some rounding up that is going on. Looking at johnwayne98006's post one of his phones only recorded 13M = 0.013G, so how does that get reported as 100M = 0.1G. Yes some extra data may be used due to data loss that the phone would not record but not that much.

Hmmm, I don't know the answer to that. I'm not sure what the threshold hold is for how data is presented online. Have any of you tried calling to to see if the XFINITY Mobile reps have any insight? If not, I can perhaps open a ticket asking the question to Tier 2 to see what they have to say. 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

I can't explain it. The 100MB free is for all phones on that account so maybe there is another phone that used some mobile data?

Problem Solver

ComcastKenF wrote:
ComcastKenF wrote:

Hmmm, I don't know the answer to that. I'm not sure what the threshold hold is for how data is presented online. Have any of you tried calling to to see if the XFINITY Mobile reps have any insight? If not, I can perhaps open a ticket asking the question to Tier 2 to see what they have to say. 

KenF

Thanks, go for it, your customers should know what the rules are before hand not after we receive a bill. What we see from johnwayne98006's post is that both phones data was rounded up then totaled, this is a second question to pose to tier 2: is each phone rounded then phones totaled. If true, having more than one phone would make it almost impossible to be under 0.1G.

Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I can't explain it. The 100MB free is for all phones on that account so maybe there is another phone that used some mobile data?

DOn't think so. He wrote he bought two lines, so if another phone is using his data, is his data getting hijacked by something/one?

Regular Contributor

I think it's pretty easy to explain the johnwayne98006 $12 bill. The 70MB and 13MB numbers are reported by his phones, not by Xfinity. I am almost certain that if you could see the actual data usage numbers recorded by Xfinity you would see that it exceeds 100MB. For example, if Xfinity recorded 90MB instead of 70MB, then Xfinity would charge $12 for 103MB total.

I've watched the billing carefully on my account, and I saw that when my bill went from $0 to $12, Xfinity must have been tracking actual usage, because the both phones showed 0.1GB before and after the price change. Similarly, I saw my bill increase from $12 to $24 as my actual usage increased. Xfinity display rounding showed my phones as 0.5GB and 0.7GB before and after the price change. If you watch your billing closely, you'll see that those 0.1GB rounded amounts are not how the bill is determined. The problem is that with the display rounding you can't see the actual usage recorded by Xfinity.
Regular Contributor

Also, I don't think the "solution" on this thread is correct. Maybe something has changed since then, but my billing shows that the charges increased from $12 to $24 when usage exceeded 1.1GB. When my usage was between 1GB and 1.1GB, the bill showed $12 (and the rounded up value shown on the bill was 1.1G. So you really do get 100MB free.
Problem Solver

-Mike wrote:
I think it's pretty easy to explain the johnwayne98006 $12 bill. The 70MB and 13MB numbers are reported by his phones, not by Xfinity. I am almost certain that if you could see the actual data usage numbers recorded by Xfinity you would see that it exceeds 100MB. For example, if Xfinity recorded 90MB instead of 70MB, then Xfinity would charge $12 for 103MB total.

I've watched the billing carefully on my account, and I saw that when my bill went from $0 to $12, Xfinity must have been tracking actual usage, because the both phones showed 0.1GB before and after the price change. Similarly, I saw my bill increase from $12 to $24 as my actual usage increased. Xfinity display rounding showed my phones as 0.5GB and 0.7GB before and after the price change. If you watch your billing closely, you'll see that those 0.1GB rounded amounts are not how the bill is determined. The problem is that with the display rounding you can't see the actual usage recorded by Xfinity.

It may be true, but if they are going to show increments of only 0.1G then they should explain it. We saw in the other thread siudimsum  reported 250MB, 50MB and 10MB on phones but Comcast shows it used 0.3GB, 0.1GB an d 0.1GB for a total of 0.5GB. I want to see the answer from comcast before I switch the rest of the house to comcast.

Regular Contributor

I agree that it's frustrating that Xfinity doesn't show actual usage. But if you look again at the bill for siudimsum on the other thread you can see that the total was for 0.4GB not 0.5GB. Actual usage was about 340MB so Xfinity shows that as 0.4GB. That's exactly what I've been seeing. It's not just a sum of the rounded 0.3 + 0.1 + 0.1 numbers.
Regular Contributor

My billing period has ended and I have an answer but not THE answer.

In my July - August billing period I activated Phone 1 and used a total of 13.xx data in the activation and the additional minor data used by the O/S system checking for updates. When that bill came in I was not charged for any data but the bill showed data used by Phone 1 as 0.1GB.

In my August - September billing period I used 4.xx MB of data and the bill showed 0.0GB of data used.

In this latest billing period, September - October  I activated Phone 2. Phone 2 used 11.xxMB of data in the activation. Phone 1 used 3.xx of data in the O/S checking for updates and the bill shows Phone 1 using 0.0GB and phone 2 using 0.1GB of data.

So it looks like if a phone uses single digits of data the bill shows 0.0GB of data but if a phone uses double digits of data, like in the activation period, Comcast rounds it up to 0.1GB of data. But it doesn't answer the real question, if two phones use double digits of data what would Comcast bill?

Problem Solver

-Mike wrote:
I agree that it's frustrating that Xfinity doesn't show actual usage. But if you look again at the bill for siudimsum on the other thread you can see that the total was for 0.4GB not 0.5GB. Actual usage was about 340MB so Xfinity shows that as 0.4GB. That's exactly what I've been seeing. It's not just a sum of the rounded 0.3 + 0.1 + 0.1 numbers.

The bill showed 0.3 + 0.1 + 0.1 for a total used of 0.4 possibly because they subtracted the 0.1 free. If so, the total is the rounded for each phone.

Official Employee

Hey everyone, just following up, I've submitted our questions to Tier 2. I'll post on this thread with their answer. 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

Thanks, KenF. Hopefully that will settle things, and hopefully you can get a quicker response from Tier 2 than some other folks around here Smiley Wink

I'm still convinced that the evidence shows that Xfinity is billing based upon actual usage and not adding the rounded totals for each phone. When Xfinity showed a total of 0.4 for phones of 0.3 + 0.1 + 0.1 it wasn't due to the 100MB free. You can see this if you watch your billing carefully. The overall total does not simply equal the sum of the rounded totals for each phone. The overall total could change from 0.4 to 0.5 while each phone still reports 0.3, 0.1, and 0.1.

Here are some examples of what I've seen reported by Xfinity during the month:

• Overall total = 0.1GB, phone 1 = 0.1GB, phone 2 = 0.1GB, bill = $0 (I assume actual usage 0-100MB, each phone < 100MB )
  • Overall total = 0.2GB, phone 1 = 0.1GB, phone 2 = 0.1GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 100-200MB, each phone < 100MB )
  • Overall total = 0.2GB, phone 1 = 0.1GB, phone 2 = 0.2GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 100-200MB, phone 2 > 100MB )
  • Overall total = 1.1GB, phone 1 = 0.4GB, phone 2 = 0.7GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 1000-1100MB )
  • Overall total = 1.1GB, phone 1 = 0.5GB, phone 2 = 0.7GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 1000-1100MB, phone 1 > 400MB )
  • Overall total = 1.2GB, phone 1 = 0.5GB, phone 2 = 0.7GB, bill = $24 (I assume actual usage 1100-1200MB )
  • Overall total = 1.2GB, phone 1 = 0.5GB, phone 2 = 0.8GB, bill = $24 (I assume actual usage 1100-1200MB, phone 2 > 700MB )

You can see that the billing jumps from 0 to $12 when the overall total crosses from 0.1 to 0.2GB, which does not correspond with any change in the reported rounded totals for each phone. They must be adding up the actual usage of each phone and using that to determine the total usage. You can also see that the billing jumps from $12 to $24 when the overall total crosses from 1.1GB to 1.2GB, which does not correspond with any change in the reported rounded totals for each phone.

Frequent Visitor

To all who had referred my post previously: my bad that my description led to misunderstanding of the numbers. I actually have first phone with 13 MB, and the second phone with about 50 MB, so the total number was rounded to 70 MB, which means each one is far from 100MB reading from phones, though I don't know if there are hidden traffic from OS.

My first phone is LG X-charge, second is iphone 6s.

Regular Contributor

johnwayne98006 wrote:

To all who had referred my post previously: my bad that my description led to misunderstanding of the numbers. I actually have first phone with 13 MB, and the second phone with about 50 MB, so the total number was rounded to 70 MB, which means each one is far from 100MB reading from phones, though I don't know if there are hidden traffic from OS.

johnwayne98006 wrote:

Any O/S use should be listed  and is you scroll down on the mobile data tab it should be listed by use. 

Regular Contributor

johnwayne98006, I think if you contact Xfinity Customer Support (but I understand if you don't want to try) you'll find that they've measured your actual data usage at over 100MB, even though your phones are showing much less. Is your iPhone running IOS 11? I'm pretty suspicious that Apple may have a data usage reporting bug. I saw on another thread that siudimsum's iPhone reported 24MB, but Xfinity Support said it had used 105MB. My iPhones are reporting hundreds of MB less than Xfinity shows. I'm suspicious of IOS because I saw my number suddenly jump up ~50MB after upgrading to IOS 11.0.2, and then it dropped ~50MB after a reboot. It could also be an Xfinity problem, but it's difficult to tell. In any case, I don't think the issue is related at all to how Xfinity displays usage in 0.1GB increments. You just can't trust that the number from your phone will be close to Xfinity's number.

Frequent Visitor

I just checked the iphone 6s, it logged 23 MB on the System Service part. The rest part consumed 20MB+ in summary, and this comprised the 49.5 MB in total on iphone, which still makes sense to me. BTW, I didn't update to OS11since I heard that it is not good for Iphone 6s.

I will do more home work and check with XFinity service. At least I now understand that the 1 GB data is also shared with two phones, which meet my expection.

Frequent Visitor

As the follow up, I've contacted Xfinity Mobile customer service, the agent helped pulled my data usage for my iPhone, the records only contains the detailed usage in KB, so I had to let him read me through the records (total 78 lines of records), and did the calculation offline. To my surprise, the total number added up only to 17MB, which is far less than the number booked from my iPhone 6s (49.5 M. This leaves the 0.1 GB game still not resolved. I will contact them again for the other phone's data.

Regular Contributor

johnwayne98006 wrote:

As the follow up, I've contacted Xfinity Mobile customer service, the agent helped pulled my data usage for my iPhone, the records only contains the detailed usage in KB, so I had to let him read me through the records (total 78 lines of records), and did the calculation offline. To my surprise, the total number added up only to 17MB, which is far less than the number booked from my iPhone 6s (49.5 M. This leaves the 0.1 GB game still not resolved. I will contact them again for the other phone's data.

Kudos for your persistence. I don't know if I'm more amazed that they couldn't give you a total, that the agent actually read off all 78 records, or that you recorded it all and added it up. I'm wagering that when you call back to get the other phone data the agent either will tell you that they don't have access to such records or will simply tell you the total number.Smiley Wink

Frequent Visitor

Okay. I finally got the figures.

Today I called Xfinity Mobile service again. And the agent does have the total numbers in MB for my two phones. It appears from service side the number is higher than phone side:

1) Iphone 6s: 84 MB (49.5 MB reported from phone)

2) LG X-charge: 124 MB (19.5 MB reported from phone)

So it is not accurate reading through phones at all! And since I did use more than 100 MB in last billing period so it triggers By The Gig plan.

BTW, the second phone should read as 0.2 GB but it didn't happen, this is a new myth to me but I won't both with it! 

Problem Solver

johnwayne98006 wrote:

Okay. I finally got the figures.

Today I called Xfinity Mobile service again. And the agent does have the total numbers in MB for my two phones. It appears from service side the number is higher than phone side:

1) Iphone 6s: 84 MB (49.5 MB reported from phone)

2) LG X-charge: 124 MB (19.5 MB reported from phone)

So it is not accurate reading through phones at all! And since I did use more than 100 MB in last billing period so it triggers By The Gig plan.

BTW, the second phone should read as 0.2 GB but it didn't happen, this is a new myth to me but I won't both with it! 

Has anyone seen this kind of data discrepancies with other cell providers?

Frequent Visitor

I hate to admit it but I'm still confused. Now is the first day of my billing cycle + 2 hours. Both of our lines already show 0.1 Mbps used per line. Both phones show 0 of mobile data used. I am either an 1diot or XM thinks that I am.

Regular Contributor

My billing period started on the 6th and so far phone 1 shows .71Mbs, phone 2 shows .44Mbs. But neither registers as any GBs on the billing section. I looked at my last months billing and phone 2 shows .1Gb but the actual use was 13.05Mbs. Phone 1 for the same period 2.69Mbs.

Frequent Visitor

Another follow up call made since I felt the discrepency is too rediculous. This time the agent gave me quite close figure:

1) iphone line had 400+ records and the summary is 75MB (49.5MB read from phone)

2) LG x-charge line had 85 records and the summary is 27 MB (19.5 MB read from phone)

She think the agent in the first call gave the figure of the second line as first line , which at the time was 78 records and 16 MB, which looks reasaonable. But she had no idea why the agent in my second call gave different results(124MB and 84M.

The total thus added to just over 100MB, which end up charging as $12 for 1 GB. Thus it appears some gap between phone and their system, but not that big difference as I reported earlier.

Official Employee

johnwayne98006 thanks for the update! 

It looks like it could be possible that the phones are displaying accurate data usage? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

This is a screenshot of my bill. I used exactly 1.1 Gig. I was billed $12.
Screenshot_20171117-132752.jpg
Official Employee

Hi DanWV, thank you for sharing this image with us I will notify our tier 2 team so that they are aware and include this in their review.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.