online now

discussions

100MB free + $12 per gig confusion

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 11

Assuming a single line on the By-The-Gig plan, after 100MB of free data is used, a $12 charge will be added to the account.

Question:  When will the account be charged a second $12?  After 1GB of usage, or 1.1 GB of usage?

To put it another way, does the first $12 charge give 1Gig of data, or just 900 megabytes?

10 REPLIES
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2 of 11

I don't know the official answer but I think it is safe to assume you will be charged for the second GB after you pass the 1.0 mark.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 3 of 11

The official answer is that the first 100mb per billing period. Not per gig. So you essentially won't get a $12 charge until you pass that 100mb. Seriously that WILL be hard to not pass. You should turn off roaming data for starters  It's under the cellular tab in your phone settings. Then find roaming and set it to voice only. I use just under a gig each month so I pay for just my $12 but I still need to turn it on from time to time. They have WiFi everywhere but not "everywhere" I go.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 4 of 11

That wasn't my question.  I'll try to re-phrase it:

During one billing cycle, after being charged for the first gigabyte,  when are we charged for the SECOND gigabyte on a single-line plan?  Is it after passing 1 gigabyte or 1.1 gigabytes? 

I'm looking for assurance that when we pay that first $12 charge we are indeed getting a full gigabyte, not just 900 megabytes.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 5 of 11

Yes keep data services off if you don't want to pay for data. I was just looking at my monthly wifi usage and I used 10GB's in a month. 4 GB's running the speedtest.net alone!!! And only 2 GB's on Youtube.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 11

To OP, I understand your concern and this is what Xfinity Mobile has not been clear about. I played a bit with their plan charges as compared with other carriers on this page: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/plan . I fugured out that as soon as we pass the 100MB free data mark, XM will start to charge us $12 for the 1st GB which includes the free 100MB. As soon as we pass the 1GB mark, and NOT 1.1GB, we will be charged for the 2nd GB, which will bring the total we've got to pay for data at this point to $24 (2 x $12/GB ). Note that there will be no partial refunds, meaning we will pay $12/GB even though we might not use up the extra 1GB.

Unless XM reps have something to say differently about this, that's what/how I believe XM is charging us on the By the Gig plan.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 7 of 11

Yes I think you have that exactly right. The first 100MB isn't actually free but on loan. If you don't use more than 100MB no extra charge. But if you go over the 100MB mark then that 100MB is part of the first GB.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 8 of 11

Assuming a single line on the By-The-Gig plan, after 100MB of free data is used, a $12 charge will be added to the account.

Question:  When will the account be charged a second $12?  After 1GB of usage, or 1.1 GB of usage?

To put it another way, does the first $12 charge give 1Gig of data, or just 900 megabytes?

Hey everyone. 

The XFINITY Mobile plan comes with 100MB built in. Meaning, if you stay at 100MB or below, you will not have a service charge (just pay the cost of the phone +taxes if applicable). Otherwise, it is $12 per Gig of data. If you use 1.1 GB of data, for example, you will be charged an additional $12 for the additional gig (we round up to the nearest Gig).

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 11
Solution

So, $12 just adds 900 megabytes to the free 100 megabytes, and then after that adds a full gigabyte for an additional $12.

I recommend this be made more explicit, so customers know that the 100 "free" megabytes is counted as usage against the first gigabyte charge.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 10 of 11
I got charged $12, it said I used 0.2GB which is 200mb. so as soon as you go over 100mb you get charged $12.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 11 of 11

above3000 wrote:
I got charged $12, it said I used 0.2GB which is 200mb. so as soon as you go over 100mb you get charged $12.

Correct.  That's exactly what I understood and expected from XM's terms of service.