Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity home security android 4.0 / ics

Regular Visitor

Xfinity home security android 4.0 / ics

Any idea when the xfinity home security app will be compatible with android 4.0 / ics?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity home security android 4.0 / ics

I dont think anyone here has any idea.  none of the comcast apps really work for android.

Let me ask you this, I assume you are asking because you have the service.  How do you like it?  I am interested in getting some opinions.

Regular Visitor

I am thinking about getting the service; though if it wont work on my galaxy nexus any time soon; then i will wait
Silver Problem Solver

way behind seriously?   I saw their add, they offer cameras and viewing on your iphone,  turn on and off our lights from your phone etc.   If you  have better info please post it, I am in the market for a home security set up.

New Poster

I was somewhat shocked that the app isn't available for recent versions of android - according to the website, all you need is 1.6 or greater (http://xfinity.comcast.net/learn/internet/mobile-android/)!  Anybody from Xfinity have any comment as to when we might be able to expect this? 

New Poster

I just got the home security service with the understanding it would definitely work with any new Android. Obviously, it does not. I really need the app to be able to utilize the service I expected and signed a 3 year contract for.
Silver Problem Solver

Regular Visitor

I was wondering when the app will be updated too.  I loved the old app and I love the alarm system.  Hoepfully we get some feedback. 

New Poster

Nope app says not compatible with this version
Valued Contributor

I would question just how "trained" the CSRs are and whether the installers are bonded, to say nothing of whether or not it works with an app.

Likelihood of system maintenance/downtime?

If it works like other security systems, the system notifies police or fire personnel:  will the Xfinity calls be answered promptly?

If the system has problems, will subscribers be told to "power cycle" their security system box?

Sorry for butting in, but IMHO I'd wait til more reviews/evals are in.  Bit like not jumping for the latest MS Windows version when it's first available and has glitches.

The tech support is ridiculous! No one gives you a straight answer and people dont call you back. WHEN IS ICS going to be supported? You say ALL Android phones, get your s**t together Comcast, we are paying for services that are promised but yet not fulfilled!

New Poster

I totally agree. Just got the service under the same understanding and am pretty torqued that it is not everything as promised especially since having a useable app was very important. Just release an ics version and everyone will be happy.
New Poster

I for one really like the program...just need 24hr or more video recording option plus ics app for my galaxy nexus. Works great on my iPad.
Frequent Visitor

I loathe the fact that I can't use the app on my Galaxy s3.

Also, has anyone else noticed, if you set up a rule for your thermostat, it'll kick it into "Fan On" instead of "Fan Auto" causing your fan to run all day long?

And the fact that you can't snap pictures from the camera when motion is detected? What good is taking pictures when the door trigger is tripped when that person is halfway through the door already? Makes no sense.

I'm HIGHLY upset at my system. I've contacted the Attorney Generals office for false advertisement reasons, and 72 hour lock in when the website is branded with 30-day money back guarantees.

New Poster

I'm a computer developer by profession.  My main focus is Microsoft, but, I've done some Android development in my spare time.  My son installed the Android app on his Gingerbread EVO3D and then upgraded to ICS without any issues.  If someone from Xfinity is monitoring this thread, could I suggest simply re-building the app in API level15 (4.0.3)?  I have an ICS EVO3D without the app currently installed and would be very willing to beta test.  I understand that the number of ICS phones have probably not made this much of a priority, however, this is rapidly changing and you will have more upset customers.  We've been very happy with the service, and would like this issue taken care of.  Thanks.

New Poster

I hope this is addressed immediately. I find it disturbing that no Comcast person has jumped into this conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Exactly. There's zero knowledge on the development stage? I find that hard to believe unless they truly aren't concerned with ICS 4.0

Problem Solver

Update-

This version of the Android App supports Android versions 2.2, 2.3, 3.1, 4.0, 4.0.1. This release includes new support for Android tablets and supports the same functionality as previous mobile app releases. The next version of the app will support these versions. I will update once we receive news around this.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Larry, what version.. where is a link for the 4.0 ice version you are referring to? Not in the android marketplace. The one I can get to says incompatible with my s3.
New Poster

This is pathetic and unsat! I dont know of one single device that runs 4.0 or 4.0.1. all devices upgraded to ICS are typically 4.0.3 or 4.0.4. ICS isn't even the current version! Jelly Bean is at 4.1.1 already.  as of today ICS accounts for 24.7% of Android phones. Jelly bean is at 1.8%. This means that Xfinity doesn't care or support roughly 26.5% of it's users. way to alienate a large chunk of customers.Try to think of any other company that has that high of a percentage of unsupported customers. Bet ya cant.

http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/story/70/00/005096/02-10-2012-08-46-35.jpg

Problem Solver

Everyone-

I'm looking into the correct version as I communicate with my engineer team. I will update this thread shortly.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I can't find the app in the Google Play App store.  Can you send me a link.

Thanks

Rick Wise

Problem Solver

The current version works on gingerbread (2.x). The new version (support for ice cream sandwich, 4.0) should be available soon. If I get additional information I will update this thread. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I am really sorry I purchased Xfinty Home Security..not only do the not support the android app. they supply little to no information on the security system itself. You buy the equipment, but restricted from adding devices. I have a radio thermostat and have requested how do I go about purchasing the Zigbee Usnap HA module....told I would need to buy xfinity's thermostat (radio thermostat CT30) and pay an activation charge in order to communicate to/from thermostat via the xfinty system, seems like a lot of BS.

New Poster

I was very disappointed to find out about this as well.  I am scheduled to have xfinity home installed this saturday and was hoping to be able to use the app on my phone.  However, when I found out the app wasn't available because I am running ice cream sandwich, it kind of made me not want to get the system.  However, after seeing Larry's response it kind of made it a little better. Although, saying it should be available soon is a really poor response and generic answer.  Why can't we get a better timeframe and how difficult is it to update the app?  ADT's app is available, yours should be too.  Get with the program Comcast!

New Poster

Xfinity Home was a huge pia for me.  The installation took like a month because they did not have all the equipment available then the motion sensor kept falling off the wall and triggering false alarms.  Finally I had to suggest to the tech who was clueless that maybe the sensor should be screwed to the wall, so he did.  I still got false alarms.  Seems the cat was jumping up on the table and setting off the alarm.  UGH! I was told by the salesman (Who vanished off the face of the earth as soon as the sale was made)  that cats COULD NOT set off the motion detector because of their size.  So another service call to relocate the motion detector and again I had to instruct the tech of where to put the #@!$ thing cause he had no idea. 

Oh when they finally got my cameras in and installed them, The tech plugged the power source into my outdoor gfi where any criminal or mischievous teen could just unplug it.  Also the camera uses an AC adapter that has a CAT5 connector and none of this equipment is for outdoor use so he slopped silicon on it and took off.  I called and demanded they correct this and another tech shows up and HUH! Claimed he did not have the equipment to reroute the connection so had to reschedule.  Next appoint he shows up to relocate and did not bring a new adapter so tried to use the old one which by now the CAT5 connector is getting rusty and the next day I had no outdoor camera.  Another appointment to replace the power adapter.   UGH!!!  And now I upgrade my phone to the Atrix HD and find out the the HOME SECURITY App that they brag about on the ads.... IS NOT compatible with the ICECREAM SANDWICH version of android software.   Now I can not access my account unless I am on my laptop.  THIS SUCKS!!!  Main reason I chose this was the fact that I could use my phone

I had around 15 service calls trying to get the system installed and working.

New Poster

I have been waiting for almost 2 months! Continuing to pay my bill because that is my resposibility but one of the biggest reasons to switch was due to the fact of the mobile app. If it does not come out soon due we all get a discounted price since comcast is not living up to there end of the deal. it sure sounds like they are in breach of there contract.

New Poster

When is soon? Soon to me is a week which it's already been since the soon comment! Give a real time frame not some complete BS that wouldn't even be enough for my 2 year old to believe. Oh and since my last post android 4.1.2 has been announced so you have another version not supported!
Frequent Visitor

You would think Larry the cable guy would have some input by now. I at one time considered going with the xfinity cable TV, that will not happen now. The biggest problem I have is the three year contract....you can get out of it, but it would cost me around $1,000 to $1,200. Once it's up there will be no comcast in this household!

New Poster

m posting this under my mothers account but I will be closing on a house in about a week and I have scheduled to have my appliances delivered shortly after but I was really planning on getting this security system before. However...the fact that I am now finding out that ICS is not support currently is DIRECTLY effecting my decision. I know that many people are in my same situation and I would really like someone to let me know when this is expected to be supported, ASAP..

New Poster

And not only that...I will want to know when support for Jelly Bean will be expected as well, just so I dont get the service and run into the same issue

Frequent Visitor

Its unfortunate to see that someone else has had a bad experience with this horrible security system. I have had this piece of doo doo since June.  1st they was suppose to breakup my installation into 3 payments. They screwed that up. They kept promising to fix it however they didn't and stopped my service even though I was paying the bill as it was suppose to be billed. So I paid the entire installation fee to get my service back.  The tech forgot to the lighting module during the install.  I can't arm the alarm because the motion detector keep giving false alarms.  I HAVE NO PETS. Tech has already been out twice but I still have false alarms because of the motion sensor. So I had another appointment to the tech this week. I also have problems with the web portal and cameras. Cameras always loose connection and the portal is always out of sync. I recently upgraded my OS to ICS and now the app is not compatible with ICS. THIS SYSTEM SUCKS AND I'M STUCK WITH IT FOR 2 YEARS.

Problem Solver

Everyone-

I've contacted the engineer team and shared all of your concerns in this thread with them. I should have an update later today that will address some of your issues.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I so far like it but am running into the same problem with my EVO3D.

Frequent Visitor

Any update as to when the app will be available for ICS/Jelly Bean???

Frequent Visitor

Went to live chat and asked about an updated version of Xfinity Home Security App. this was the response:

Reina May: We are proud of our Customer Guarantee, which includes being here for you, 24/7! Let's take a look at what's going on with your service and get that resolved for you. I do hope that you did not wait too long in the queue and that your day is going well.

Patrick: My Issue: mobile app is not compatible with adroid 4.0 when will this problem be resolved?

Reina May: I understand that you have issues with the mobile application which you want to have in your Android device.

Reina May: My apologies for the frustration this issue has caused you.  Do not worry. You have reached the correct department. I'm going to do everything I can to resolve this with you today.

Reina May: May I know which mobile application are you referring to?

Reina May: Is it the Xfinity Connect mobile application?

Patrick: Xfinity Home Security

Reina May: Thank you for clarifying, Patrick. Would you mind waiting for a minute or two while I check my resources for information about the supported devices for the Xfinity Home Security as well as check if there is any update on this?

Patrick: ok

Reina May: Thank you.

Reina May: While you are waiting did you know you can watch many of your favorite TV shows and movies online at no additional cost with Comcast.  Check out www.xfinitytv.com to watch the latest TV shows, relive a favorite television moment, or just relax with a movie.

Reina May: Thank you for waiting patiently!

Reina May: I have double checked my resources and I see that at this time, only Android 2.3 up to Android 2.3.7 is compatible with the Xfinity Home Security application, Patrick.

Patrick: When will it be updated if ever?

Reina May: Do not worry, Patrick, our product team is constantly working on improving our services to make the best experience possible. There is no definite date on when any update on the application will be available or ready for public use.

Reina May: Rest assured that you will be notified as soon as this becomes possible.

Frequent Visitor

This is what comcast advertises:

Download the XFINITY Home app   

Updated        5/2/2012 3:58:07 AM        by         Comcast Expert   
Email

CloseEmail this

A link to "Download the XFINITY Home app" will be sent via email.

Recipient's name:

Required

Recipient's email address:

Required

Your name:

Required

Your email address:

Required

Send me a copySecurity Code:
reCAPTCHA challenge image
Get a new challengeGet an audio challengeGet a visual challengeHelp

or                Cancel           

We hate spam. The information you've entered will not be shared or sold.

Introduction           

Note: The XFINITY Home app is only available for the following devices:

• iPhone
  • iPad
  • iPod touch
  • Android mobile devices, NOT Android tablets     

It’s easy to start using the XFINITY Home app—just follow these simple steps.           

How to get started:

iPhone / iPad / iPod touch

1. Access the App Store from your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad and search for XFINITY Home Security. You will be given two options: Houston, TX Only: XFINITY Home Security (for customers in Houston, TX  that ordered prior to 11/16/11), or XFINITY Home Security (for all other areas).
  2. Select application that applies to your given location.
  3. Click Install.
  4. Once the app is installed, click the application icon and sign in using your primary Comcast.net email address and password.

Android mobile devices

Note: This Android app is currently only available for Android mobile devices, not Android tablets. 

1. Access the Google Play from your Android device and search for "XFINITY Home".
  2. Click Install.
  3. Once the app is installed, click the application icon and sign in using your Comcast.net email address and password.

The Android app is supported by Android versions 2.2 and up. 

This not a true statement as we all know now.

Frequent Visitor

THE XFINITY HOME SECURITY APP WORKS ON ANDROID 4 PHONES. If you upgraded your phone's OS to Android 4 and had the app already installed before upgrading.

For users purchased a Android 4 phone and wants the app there is a way to get the xfinity securtiy app to work on android 4.0.  However it requires knowing someone who already has the app install or someone how has an older android os who can install the app.

Using the TouchPouch Lite app, a user who has the xfinity security app can transfer the app to another person who has an android 4 phone and then install it.  I did this on my android 4 phone today and it works.

Frequent Visitor

Have have both the droid 2 and droid 4 neither have an app called TouchPouch and can not find one on Google Play. Was this app installed on your phone when purchased?

Frequent Visitor

Sorry for the bad info on the app name, the name of the app is TapPouch Lite

New Poster

I just downloaded that app on my phone and my wife's and successfully transferred the app to my phone.  Works great!  Thanks for letting us know about this!  Guess this will have to be a temporary fix until comcast gets their act together.

Frequent Visitor

Copied from the wife's Samsung Galaxy to my Droid 4 and it works......thanks, maybe you should work for comcast!

New Poster

Is it later today yet? Larry are you there?

New Poster

Does NOT work on Samsung Galaxy Note
Frequent Visitor

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note and it works for me

New Poster

Thanks for the info.  Installed Tap Pouch on my wifes Photon and my Galaxy SII and then I was able to transfer the app from her phone to mine and it works great.

New Poster

I just used the tap pouch with my wife's evo and my evo 4g lte and it works perfect!

Regular Visitor

My wife has a Droid Razer using 2.1 and I have a Razer using 4.0.  We used the Tap Pouch and the transfer was easy and I now have the app.  Thanks for the advice!!!!

Frequent Visitor

I have a Droid 4 and was unable to get the Xfinity Home app - until today!!!  I was actually looking for the Tap Pouch lite, and the Home Security listing was still in my history.  Much to my surprise, it came up and is now downloaded on my Droid 4 that runs ICS. 

I really do like the Xfinity Home security system.  It does have its glitches, and I'm not certain they should enforce the 3 year commitment with the issues people are having, but, it does give me the comfort and security of knowing that I can watch my property from vacation, and that I can turn on the lights and such.  Like anything, the kinks have to be worked out, but I really like the system. 

Problem Solver

The new version of the XH android app has been released. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats