Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

email app on phone very unreliable

New Poster

email app on phone very unreliable

Email works fine on home computer and on iPad. Have Xfinity app on my phone and it works only intermittently. Often it just spins and spins when I try to open a message, or the screen goes blank altogether. My phone is a Samsung (Sprint), but friends with iPhones and on other networks have told me they have trouble also. When I am out with just my phone, I essentially do not have email.

Official Employee

Re: email app on phone very unreliable

Hi lle49. I can assist with the XFINITY Connect app issues. 

I just need a little more information: 

When the app does not work, are you getting an error message? 

When the app spins and goes blank, is that only in the section trying to view an email?

Thank you. 

New Poster

Same problem on LG V10 Cell. How to fix? Screen goes black, stops.
Regular Visitor

Same problem on my new iPhone SE.  App takes a while trying to refresh, and eventually comes back saying there is no network connection (but there is).  If I shut down the phone and reboot it works okay for a while...then loses the network again.

Pretty frustrating.

Regular Contributor

I’ve had the same problem for months (iPhone 7). I’ll often get error messages, one right after another that says no network connection. I close out all of the error messages and and pull down the screen to refresh mail and it just spins endlessly. Only way to fix it is to shut down the app by swiping it off the screen (no need to turn phone off) and then restart the app and it works okay but just for that one time. Every time I see a new email has come in I have to close out the app completely and then restart it again. It’s extremely aggravating. I started using this app several years ago and it worked like a charm so somewhere along the way either comcast messed up an update to the app or an update was missed. That’s the only conclusion I can come to since both iPhone and non iPhone users are all experiencing the same kind of problems.
Regular Contributor

I should have also added that deleting and adding the app back again does NOT fix the problem.
Frequent Visitor

My wife's Iphone 5S running IOS 10.3 first and  now 11.0.3 has this problem as well. Sometimes it says it can't refresh and other times the emails are visible but she can't access without closing app and rebooting phone. What is the solution?

Regular Visitor

Same issue on iPhone 6S running iOS 11.0.3.

I've also observed that sometimes message in the iPhone Inbox show "No Recipient" with no preview and that when the iPhone app DOES work, the previews are slow to download.

It seems like this issue started right after the recent changes that were made to the Xfinity Connect browser based email.

Regular Contributor

My connect app is very very slow to load new messages or email content upon opening app, and messages often do not load until I open app. Needs to be fixed for sure.
New Poster

Yes, it is very slow to open...download...wait, wait, wait!!!

Contributor

Same exact problem. Been happening for weeks.
Contributor

Same problem here
Contributor

Ditto here
Frequent Visitor

Same issue. Between the error messages, and now the forever spin, this has been going on for months. Fix it, Comcast. It’s unacceptable that your mobile apps have continual problems. It’s unacceptable that they aren’t immediately fixed.
Contributor

Same issues here and I totally agree with you.
Frequent Visitor

Hi - Has there been a fix to this problem? The app doesn’t refresh quickly and I’ve tried to delete the app and reinstall, the same problem persists. You open the app and need to wait until you see the content load underneath the emails that you see in your inbox. If you don’t wait and try to open an email then it just spins until it times out. If this occurs, you have to shut down the app and reopen again and wait until the content loads under the emails that YOU SEE in the inbox. Very very frustrating. Can you assist?
Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

No fix that I’m aware of. Pretty sure the problem resides in the app itself. If that’s the case the only fix would be Comcast making an update to the app and given that this issue has resided for months now it’s obvious to me they could care less about fixing it. The only way the app is useable for me is to swipe it off the screen when running in background then reopen to work with new mail. Once I work with new mail I close the app, swipe it off the screen in background then start all over again the next time I check mail. It’s a complete pain but it’s the only way I can use it. If it not for the phone features in the app I would have deleted months ago.
Regular Contributor

For all of those iPhone / iPad users struggling with this issue I may have found a fix or at least it seems to be working for me anyway. Try this and see if it works for you.

Go in to your device settings. Find the Xfinity connect app in settings. Open those settings up and TURN OFF “Background App refresh” I’ll post a screenshot of the settings page for info.

I was concerned turning this off would also stop mail from arriving but I’m still getting mail without having to open the app and refresh manually. Obviously this is not a permanent fix as you should not have to turn this switch off but maybe this action will better help the Comcast app development team pin point the exact problem with the app.

Good luck all !
140B2FF9-AB49-4285-B4BC-37C296D276B2.png
Frequent Visitor

I will try it. It’s called “Connect” in Settings so folks can search for it in Settings. Thanks!
Regular Contributor

ekap you’re welcome. After doing this my phone now running 2 days without failing to refresh when I open the app and no error messages saying “can’t detect network” hope it works for you. With the app constantly running in the background I think it encounters a conflict of some kind when you actually open the app. This should not happen by design but if this fix works it would appear that’s exactly what’s happening and it may help Comcast release a permanent fix, should they even care LOL!
Frequent Visitor

I'll try this, too. Thanks for doing Comcast's job. Unforunately, it's quite clear they don't care at all. This had been happening for quite some time before I even posted about it, and that was November last year. Comcast doesn't care a bit about issues with their apps, obviously. 

Thanks again!

Regular Contributor

Evie22 good luck. I hope it works for you and all the other folks having problems. If it does maybe I’ll submit an invoice to comcast for technical support services 😉
Frequent Visitor

Two months free!! For what I pay, that'd be a good payday! : )

Frequent Visitor

I did the change and it works!!  Thanks!

Contributor

Same here folks!!
Regular Contributor

ekap you’re very welcome. Glad it worked for you. I did send a PM to a Comcast rep on the forum here making her aware that the app background switch seems to be the problem area and to pass this along to their app development team because we should not have to turn this switch off. We’ll see if they end up deploying a permanent fix but I’m not too optimistic LOL.
Regular Contributor

tomanynames: Glad to hear ! 👍