New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Text message problems with Connect app

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 5

I am re-posting this because it WAS NOT solved.

When I send text messages using the Xfinity Connect app, I experience the following problems:
1. Sometimes the text keeps getting sent over and over. My son complains that he gets the same text many times.
2. The text gets broken into 2 or more texts and are incomplete.

Also, I went to the help in the connect settings and it said I was denied permission, I attached a screenshot of the error message.IMG_0781.PNG

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 2 of 5

Regarding your #2 statement about a text message getting broken into 2 messages, it seems that a single text message has a maximum of 160 characters.  I found this out by starting to type a message and noticing that as soon as I hit the first character, at the far right of the input line for the text a small numeric display is presented where the first set of numbers is the number of characters that I type and the second set of numbers after the / mark initially reads 160.  If I type more than 160 characters, the first character beyond the 160 limit causes the first set of numbers to show 161 and the second set of numbers now shows 320 and there appears below them the number 2 in paranthesis to indicate that it will se sent as two text messages.  

On the receiving end of the test message, where I sent it to after exceeding the 160 character limit, the way it came over was that the message that started with the 161st character was displayed first and then the message that had the first 160 characters was displayed beneath it which would give the impression that the message was incomplete.

If I compose one message of 160 characters or less and send it, and then immediately compose a second message of up to another 160 characters and send it, then on the receiving end where I sent the message the first message comes through with the second one immediately beneath it so that it looks as you would expect it to and can continue reading from one message to the next so that it looks complete.

So you might want to give a try at keeping each individual text message to 160 characters or less and hopefully your mobile device screen will show the sets of numbers to help make keeping track of that easy and see if that improves things.

Regarding your #3 item, I too get the same screen as you do when selecting the Help option in the Connect app.  Comcast likely has some incorrect link set in that option.  But what you can do is on the line that reads Xfinity Help and Support Forums with the / Access Denied, if you click on the Xfinity Help and Support Forms link part of that line it will take you to the main Help and Support Categories screen from which you can select the Mobile Apps option and from there select the Connect App option to get to this same area.

Hope this helps you out.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 3 of 5

leftturn61 wrote:

I am re-posting this because it WAS NOT solved.

When I send text messages using the Xfinity Connect app, I experience the following problems:
1. Sometimes the text keeps getting sent over and over. My son complains that he gets the same text many times.
2. The text gets broken into 2 or more texts and are incomplete.

Also, I went to the help in the connect settings and it said I was denied permission, I attached a screenshot of the error message.IMG_0781.PNG

How did you attach the screenshot? I have been trying to find a way to attach a picture to a text message from my tablet using Xfinity connect and can't find a way

Posted by
Contributor

Message 4 of 5

The screenshot is not from a text message. It is from this forum's form. It has a photo selection button.

As far as I know, you can't add a picture to a text message. That ticks me off.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 5 of 5

leftturn61 wrote:

The screenshot is not from a text message. It is from this forum's form. It has a photo selection button.

As far as I know, you can't add a picture to a text message. That ticks me off.

Thanks for the sanity check. Hard to believe in this day and age that we can only attach pictures to texts on cell phones and even that is awkward at best.