Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Auto-Download Message Content

Regular Visitor

Auto-Download Message Content

In the past I did not download inline pictures in my Comcast email but I did want to see my text. Before, I saw my message text and no images. I did this to protect myself from VIRUSES which may download in an image or to prevent SPAM or PHISHING sites from capturing my info because my email downloaded a picture from their server. I DO WANT to see the message text in order to decide if it is SPAM OR NOT. I DO NOT WANT pictures to load automatically. Additionally, forcing images to download uses way too much disk space on my devices. I understand why other people like the ability to automatically see pictures but I want it separate. This setting "Auto-Download Message Content" is now all or nothing. Very poor design. Please bring back the ability to turn off inline images.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Auto-Download Message Content

Annahums wrote: ... or to prevent SPAM or PHISHING sites from capturing my info because my email downloaded a picture from their server. ...

That doesn't happen with inline images because the image data is sent as part of the email. There is no reference out to any external servers.

... Additionally, forcing images to download uses way too much disk space on my devices. ...

Note that the data for inline images is typically downloaded whether the images are displayed or not.

If you have the new Open-Xchange "Appsuite" webmail ("connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/..."), there doesn't seem to be a way to block inline images. You can block external images by clearing the check box for the "Allow pre-loading of externally linked images" preference under

(gear icon) / Settings / Mail / Mail Settings / Common / Display /

Regular Visitor

Re: Auto-Download Message Content

Clear communication is a must for technical issues. Since I am not debugging the issue for Comcast I left some key info off and I must have used the term inline incorrectly per your reply. I am exclusively talking about external images (which download from the senders server) when you view them in an email. I am not talking about attached images or pictures inserted into an email. I definitely meant the externally linked images. I am reporting this issue for Android and Apple iPad and not for Windows PC. I have never displayed these images on my mobile devices and had a choice before the latest updates.

Open your latest Home Depot email or some other major retail store email. Virtually all of the "pictures" are externally linked. My understanding is these images download in real time to a temporary location on my device when I view the email and have the checkbox activated to show the images or I clicked the option to "Show Pictures" in the header of each email if I viewed. 

On my PC (connect.xfinity.com/appsuite), I have the "allow pre-loading of externally linked images" option unchecked and with the new software as of today, 1/18/18, I now see the text "Display images to see real-time content" in a grayish box instead of the external images in my Home Depot email. Before the latest update an empty box displayed for each image. To see the images I clicked "Show Pictures" - which btw has this warning next to it "External images have been blocked to protect you against potential spam!" The same email on my Android now says "Display images to show real-time content" and yesterday it just showed the images. To see images I click "Show Pictures". The same email on my iPad displays the actual external images - no choices given. There is no consistency between the PC, Android and iPad. I should have the same choices on my mobile devices which are more vulnerable!

• PC
    • Settings, Mail, "Allow pre-loading of externally linked images" UNCHECKED
    • Email displays text "Display images to see real-time content"
  • ANDROID 7.1 or .2 Connect App
    • Settings, Message Preferences, "Auto-Download Message Content" is ENABLED
    • Email displays text "Display images to show real-time content"
  • iPAD ios 11.1, Connect App
    •  Settings, Message Preferences
      • "Load inline Images" DISABLED,
      • "Auto-Download Message Content" ENABLED
    • Email displays external images
Forums Tips and Tricks: