Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

xfinity tv on computer. is there a charge

Regular Visitor

xfinity tv on computer. is there a charge

i received a notice on my computer that i can get xfinity tv on my computer.  is there a charge for this?

New Poster

Re: xfinity tv on computer. is there a charge

Yes, there is a charge, but not initially, that I know of.  The charge comes in your DATA use.  Comcast used to be "unlimited", now they are charging for anything you use, over 350 GB per month.  Therefore, if you are streaming any video on your computer, such as Netflix, Xfinity, Youtube, or any other video site, once you go over 350 GB, they may charge you.  I say, "may", because I have gone over a few times, without being charged.  But, I have been a subscriber since 1999, when broadband was first introduced.  At that time, it was unlimited.  I don't know, if that is why they are not charging me, or if there is some kind of roll over.  Good luck!

Gold Problem Solver

doginwoods wrote: ... now they are charging for anything you use, over 350 GB per month. ...

In most areas the "usage allowance" is not being enforced. To check yours see https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/ . Where the limit is enforced it is 300GB, except for certain customers in the Tucson area --  see http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/common-questions-datapolicy

New Poster

You are correct..   I have gone over 3 or 4 times, because I have children, and at this point, I have not been charged.  But, ...  a precedent is being set.  With these listed in your TOS, at any time they can start charging you at will.  I have 2 daughters, who like "youtube".  Before they were old enough to use a computer, I don't think my DATA service was more than 100 gb a month.  Now, it's routinely over 300.  When it approaches 300 (or 350), I get a text message warning me, that I'm approaching the limit and I "could" be charged.  So, you are right Bruce, at this point, I have not been charged, but I do expect in the near future, I WILL BE...  When I first started with Comcast back in 2000, they were the first providers of "broadband".  I paid $40 a month for unlimited services.  Now, I pay $225 a month, but that includes my tv, phone and internet.  I've been exploring the possiblity of internet only services, but they get you there too.  Most companies don't offer internet as a stand alone, because they want you to purchase their television subscription. Some time back, I had my computer connected to my cable, using Windows Media.  Within months, Comcast stopped sending my signal over the cable, without the box.  When I was forced to use the box, I no longer was able to use my computer and Windows Media.  Right now, cable companies have you over a barrel, giving you 250 channels of tv, you don't watch.  Out of all those channels, you may watch 10-15 on a regular basis. If a company came out, that allows me to purchase my tv channels by what I actually select to pay for, I'll buy it!!!!..  Comcast and ATT are a huge conglomerate, who pushs out the competitors, forcing us to pay what ever they want us to pay, but first, they put it in the TOS, not charging you for a while, then one day, you WILL see it on your statement.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation