Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

xfinity app not working on ipad 2 when on comcast network

New Poster

xfinity app not working on ipad 2 when on comcast network

When I try to "play now" on the comcast app, i get the preview / splash screen for hbo/stars/etc, but the playback of the actual video does not work. I get a black screen and nothing else happens.

When I am on a different network, i.e. sprint/att/etc, the playback works immediately. this problem is across the iphone 4s, ipad 2, ipad 1.

I tried contacting support but i keep getting told that it's a problem with apple...

HELP!!!

Customer Expert

Re: xfinity app not working on ipad 2 when on comcast network

Is your router using the Comcast DNS or something else? It needs the Comcast DNS.

I don't know if that will fix your problem, but it's one thing to check first.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

abus500 wrote:

When I try to "play now" on the comcast app, i get the preview / splash screen for hbo/stars/etc, but the playback of the actual video does not work. I get a black screen and nothing else happens.

When I am on a different network, i.e. sprint/att/etc, the playback works immediately. this problem is across the iphone 4s, ipad 2, ipad 1.

I tried contacting support but i keep getting told that it's a problem with apple...

HELP!!!

I can tell you a few things.  Before the current app update it use to work great, now I can only watch half of what I use to. 

Also part of your post is a little strange.  the playnow portion of the app only works in Wifi, but your saying sprint att it works, so what exactly do you mean by that? 

does this just happen on hbo/starz or anything else.

New Poster

When I am set up hot spot off my sprint phone, it works, if i am on att's uverse or dsl, it works as well.

As for DNS, i doubt that it should be a problem, being that the app works on other networks...

It seems to blank out on hbo, stars, showtime, encore, and even the basic non network specific stuff like cbs/nbc tv shows. (i have almost every package for cable...)

It used to work perfectly, but doesnt seem to do so lately... this is very frustrating as contacting support via phone leads to "talk to apple because it's an apple product issue and our network and app is perfect..."

Silver Problem Solver

I have the exact same problem, before the app was updated no issues, now I can barely watch anything on it, it is a problem with the app in my opinion.  I changed nothing on my iphone except update the app and now it does not work.  It does not work at my home on wifi or my job on wifi.  I have delted the app, reinstalled, cleared cache and cookies i just get the spalsh screen and then it goes black.

New Poster

App only displays the black screen as described above on iPhone 4 and iPad 2 with latest iOS when at home with xfinity cable modem and using wifi. App works fine when connected to another network including sprint and VZ hotspots as well as when at the local coffee shop. PC works fine viewing video on Comcast.net.
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation