Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

xFinity Stream TV Website and Apps now count towards 1TB data plans?

ANSWERED
Contributor

xFinity Stream TV Website and Apps now count towards 1TB data plans?

From: https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan/

"For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage. XFINITY TV and XFINITY Voice services that are not delivered over the Internet and are not received by you using your XFINITY Internet service do not count."

A few months ago, I believe this wasn't the case.  When did Comcast start charging data for StreamTV?

Accepted Solution

Re: xFinity Stream TV Website and Apps now count towards 1TB data plans?

Littlesender wrote:

From: https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan/

"For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage. XFINITY TV and XFINITY Voice services that are not delivered over the Internet and are not received by you using your XFINITY Internet service do not count."

A few months ago, I believe this wasn't the case.  When did Comcast start charging data for StreamTV?

Sorry for any confusion (lawyer language!). There are 2 types of content available via the Stream TV portal and apps.  The content that is only available to watch while connected to your home network does NOT count against any data usage plans in effect (it is deliver over the Comcast managed network - not the Internet).  This includes your full channel lineup (same channel numbers as on your TV) and the same On Demand content you watch on your set-top box.

The content which is labeled "TV Go" which can be watched anywhere in the USA does count against data usage because it is delivered over the Internet.  There are a bit over 200 "TV Go" live channels (depending on your subscription package) and a large overlap with the "in-home" On Demand. There is also some content which is only available via "TV Go" such as ESPN3 and some On Demand shows. Just look for the "TV Go" badge on the content of the "Data charges may apply" overlay as the video starts up.

But don't worry too much, 1TB is enough to watch 600-700 hours of HD content for most content and connection speeds.  With the old "TV Go" website and apps, we only offered the "Data charges may apply..." type of content.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

-ComcastDan

View answer in context
Official Employee

Littlesender wrote:

Sorry for any confusion (lawyer language!). There are 2 types of content available via the Stream TV portal and apps.  The content that is only available to watch while connected to your home network does NOT count against any data usage plans in effect (it is deliver over the Comcast managed network - not the Internet).  This includes your full channel lineup (same channel numbers as on your TV) and the same On Demand content you watch on your set-top box.

The content which is labeled "TV Go" which can be watched anywhere in the USA does count against data usage because it is delivered over the Internet.  There are a bit over 200 "TV Go" live channels (depending on your subscription package) and a large overlap with the "in-home" On Demand. There is also some content which is only available via "TV Go" such as ESPN3 and some On Demand shows. Just look for the "TV Go" badge on the content of the "Data charges may apply" overlay as the video starts up.

But don't worry too much, 1TB is enough to watch 600-700 hours of HD content for most content and connection speeds.  With the old "TV Go" website and apps, we only offered the "Data charges may apply..." type of content.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

A tip is .. if it says  IN-HOME for the program you are streaming using the Xfinity Stream App. it does NOT count towards data.  If it says TV GO in that little box , it DOES count . So you can watch On Demand programs in binge mode using the xcfinity stream app on a mobile and as long as it says IN HOME.. its NOT using your data limits. But always good to check as CC do tend to change the rules when we are not looking.

New Poster

Where does one find this 'TV Go badge'? In browsing live TV and on-demand content on tv.xfinity.com I see no indicator as to which content is included in the monthly cap or "free".

The FAQ at https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/live-tv-streaming/ is also not clear. How do I discern between content that will/won't count against my data usage? This is extremely vague and misleading to consumers.

Will live TV and/or XFINITY On Demand streaming on the XFINITY Stream app or XFINITY Stream portal count against my XFINITY Internet data usage plan?
When you are in your home and connected to your in-home XFINITY network, streaming video to the XFINITY Stream app and portal is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's managed cable network, not over the Internet, so it will not count towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TV Everywhere programming through the XFINITY Stream app, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and will count towards any usage thresholds that may apply.

Official Employee

ElJuggernaut wrote:

Where does one find this 'TV Go badge'? In browsing live TV and on-demand content on tv.xfinity.com I see no indicator as to which content is included in the monthly cap or "free".

The FAQ at https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/live-tv-streaming/ is also not clear. How do I discern between content that will/won't count against my data usage? This is extremely vague and misleading to consumers.

Will live TV and/or XFINITY On Demand streaming on the XFINITY Stream app or XFINITY Stream portal count against my XFINITY Internet data usage plan?
When you are in your home and connected to your in-home XFINITY network, streaming video to the XFINITY Stream app and portal is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's managed cable network, not over the Internet, so it will not count towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TV Everywhere programming through the XFINITY Stream app, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and will count towards any usage thresholds that may apply.

We will automatically select the in-home version of content if it is available for the selected program and you are in your home, connected to your home XFINITY network. This is a fairly new feature which is available in Settings (looks like a gear icon) and called "Best Option to Watch". If you prefer, you can turn this off and select from the various options within On Demand. Typically, the ones near the bottom of the list will have a "TV Go" badge (similar in size to an HD badge).

For the Live TV channels, the "TV Go" versions are at the bottom of the list.  You can use the "Find" (search) feature at the top of the Live TV section and type in "CNN" or "FOX" and you will see that there are multiple choices available.  Again, the TV Go versions are usually near the bottom of the list.

With "Best Option to Watch" turned on, we will automatically play the in-home version when we can. For customers with X1 Cloud DVR, we'll play the DVR recording if available (in-home this also doesn't count against data usage).

Finally, any time we play a version which is "TV Go" there is a text overlay on the video screen at show/movie startup that says "TV Go. Accessing the Internet. Data charges may apply".

If you are concerned about your data usage, you can view your status here: https://dataplan.xfinity.com/

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Thanks Dan, it seems maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe there's something wrong with my account.

If I do as you suggest and search for "CNN" I see different options, some with the tiny TV Go logo, some without.

If I try to watch e.g. Outlander on Starz, I do no see the "tv go" logo in the listings, but when I start an episode I do see the "accessing the internet. Data charges may apply." message.

If I go to live tv and search for MLB network, there is no TV GO icon next to any of the listings, but if I try to watch, I get the message "To watch MLBHD, you'll need to connect to your home WiFi."

Not sure why this comes up, I am definitely connected to my home wifi network.

Lastly, if I try to check my usage using the link you provided, it takes me to the "Devices" page on my account, and all I see are my two X1 boxes, there is no internet usage or cable modem shown. I just had service activated about a week ago does it take a while for things to "sync up"? Maybe this is why things aren't working as expected?

Thanks!

Regular Visitor

what to i do to start doing the stream????? HOW do i set up or whatever???