New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

something upgraded -- broke XfinityTV on Linux

ANSWERED
New Poster

something upgraded -- broke XfinityTV on Linux

I'm not sure what changed.  I used to be able to watch XfinityTV on my Linux laptop, but suddenly I can't.  

If I try to watch in Chromium or Firefox, I'm told that Flash 11.8 is required, but the latest version of Flash for Linux is 11.2.  

The workaround for this is to install Chrome for Linux, which does not give me the error message, but only shows a page that says "Loading Video", with the channel name and three dots.

Accepted Solution

Re: something upgraded -- broke XfinityTV on Linux

Unfortunately, on another post somewhere, a Comcast person said that Linux is no longer supported by the Xfinity web site, even if you install the Chrome browser.  The Flash version in Chrome is a Google-customized version caled "Pepper" and apparently is just different enough that it will not work with Comcast's web site.

Comcast is probably not willing to invest the programming expense to support Linux, and honestly you cannot blame them. I bet that less than one percent of their customers use Linux in any way, much less as a consumer platform.  

View answer in context
Problem Solver

Unfortunately, on another post somewhere, a Comcast person said that Linux is no longer supported by the Xfinity web site, even if you install the Chrome browser.  The Flash version in Chrome is a Google-customized version caled "Pepper" and apparently is just different enough that it will not work with Comcast's web site.

Comcast is probably not willing to invest the programming expense to support Linux, and honestly you cannot blame them. I bet that less than one percent of their customers use Linux in any way, much less as a consumer platform.  

New Poster

that's what I figured, but it's just very sad.  Because having the ability to watch programs remotely was a big part of my decision to go with Comcast.  

Problem Solver

I don't use Linux myself, but I understand that you can install a copy of Windows in a VMWARE container. Of course you'd have to have a Windows CD and license to install, but you may want to investigate it further.  It may not be worth the effort or expense just to watcch TV, but if might help with other Windows software you may want to use.

New Poster

now that I try it out, it means that XfinityTV just doesn't work in Chrome on Windows either.

Regular Visitor

This is unacceptable, flash is being phased out everywhere but comcast (Linux, android...) Iinux is a viable(free) alternative to Microsoft and needs to be supported.

New Poster

This is a problem from the developers. Someone decided to force users to have the most current version of flash installed, yet the failed to inspect the User-Agent to see what type of computer was connecting. This is just poor development of a website.

New Poster

I have tried all the work arounds...watching comcast/xfinity online is a no go as of just a few days ago.  We are comcast users, but watch mostly online.  I'm having to watch most of everything I normally watch on the "H" website.  Considering the over a hundred dollars for comcast per month vs less than ten a month for the "H" plus site, I'm thinking my money and linux are of no value to comcast.  It's sad that we were not even given notice that we linux users would be ousted.  Our schedules don't allow us to watch prime time tv when the shows are aired, and enjoyed the flexibility of catching our shows online.  Looks like we'll not be missed by comcast.

Frequent Visitor

There is a fix I posted a wile back follow this link there is a version for most Linux distros. It will install Windows Flash into your Linux Browser.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Please-Support-Linux/td-p/1297301 Look at Post #43

Frequent Visitor

If you're still looking for a way to resolve this, I wrote up a little guide on how I fixed it. The URL to the forum post is posted below;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Guide-How-to-play-Xfinity-TV-on-a-Linux-PC/td-p/21027...

New Poster

...Then they should educate their employees.

I called to upgrade my Internet service to include the TV  ***ONLY*** for the online streaming capability. I don't need boxes in every room. I EXPLICITLY asked if there were any compatibility issues with linux or linux browsers. The answer was "No. They all play fine." .

So I get the order pushed through and try it out: nothing commercials black screens (no actual video).

Looks like I'll be cancelling and using the 30-day money back guarantee.

Reminds me why it's been 10+ years since I've had to use comcast for TV service. 

Get with the program Comcast:

HTML5 Video = safe, compatible, configurable, no 3rd party tricks

Flash = security vulnerabilities, compatibility issues, 3rd party treachery, dwindiling support

Call me, Comcast, my development rates are fair and I'll fix this issue for you...

Frequent Visitor

I totally agree with you. But if you what to view Comcast content on a linux browser here is the only fix for now.  http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html

Service Expert
Moved:

Please Don't:

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Service Expert

1+ Year Old Thead being Closed

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon