online now

discussions

"Available to watch in home only" error

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 14

I have been watching local tv channels on my computer and iphone for a while now. But today for some reason I get the message "Available to watch in home only." I am at home on my home network same as always. Are we no longer allowed to watch local channels when we are on our home network? I really liked that feature... kind of dissapointing to loose it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 12 of 14
Solution

Twiho wrote:
I have the same issue in my iPad. Hope I don't have to call support. 

Sorry you're having trouble. We typically see this occur for one of the following reasons:

• A mobile device drops off the home network (even briefly) onto cellular
  • Customers are connected to the public "XFINITY WIFI" network instead of their actual home network
  • The customer's modem has recently renewed its IP address and it hasn't yet propagated to all the required systems. Note that restarting the modem can actually exacerbate this issue if it gets a new IP address.
  • The modem's MAC Address (unique identifier) isn't registered with Comcast. This is more prevalent with customers who own their own modems. 

If the app consistently says you aren't on your home network, it is likely the MAC address issue which requires a phone call to resolve. You can also download the XFINITY My Account app to verify the equipment on your account. This app also allows you to schedule a phone call at your convenience so you won't have to wait on hold.

I hope this helps,

ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
13 REPLIES
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 14

Robrts wrote:

I have been watching local tv channels on my computer and iphone for a while now. But today for some reason I get the message "Available to watch in home only." I am at home on my home network same as always. Are we no longer allowed to watch local channels when we are on our home network? I really liked that feature... kind of dissapointing to loose it.

This may be your problem, from the statement in the first post of the announcement thread:

Why does the app say I need to be on my home network? I am on my home network!
Be sure you are connected to your residential in-home network and not the network called "XFINITY WiFi," which is a WiFi hotspot that guests who are XFINITY Internet customers can use, so you don't need to give out your password. If your modem is provided by XFINITY, the network name is usually on the side or bottom of the modem. If you're not sure, just give us a call at 1-800-XFINITY, and we can walk you through it.

Sure you're on the right network, but it still isn't working? Your experience may be caused by a number of potential factors that we are working to improve. There's also a chance that your mobile device dropped off WiFi and switched to a cellular connection, so you'll want to check that by force-quitting the app and re-launching it.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now-part-o...

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 3 of 14

Feature is still there, since I just tried a local channel. Have you tried watching on ethernet, instead of wifi, in order to see that it at least still works?  If on wifi, are you 100% sure you are connected to your personal wifi network, and not an Xfinity Wifi hotspot? I know you think that could be a dumb question, but sometimes that happens, especially if you have used the wifi hotspot in the past.

Since you said it is happening on both the computer and phone, it could be some Comcast error that is causing this. Also, is it just the local channels, or everything. If just local, then it's definitely a Comcast error, but having them figure what the problem can be might prove tedious. Good luck.

Robrts wrote:

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 4 of 14

I am definitely on my home network and not XFINITY WIFI. In fact my computer is connected via ethernet and not on wifi at all.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 14

My computer is connected via ethernet and it still won't get the local channels. Other channels seem to connect fine. It appears to be only local channels and a few others between 1-29. I guess it must be a Comcast error since it worked fine before today. Maybe I'll try re-starting my modem...

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 14

It's working today. Must have been a temporary problem at Comcast.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 14

same issue here.  I'm in my home, on my home wifi network (which is not called home-xxxxx, instead has been renamed to PQS_Home) 

This sounds like a bug, not an enhancement. 

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 8 of 14

I've had the same issue for about a year or so.  The problem fixed itself after I called several times and spoke to 3 different technicians.  The app was working fine about a week or so ago and now it's back to the same error message.  It's definitely an issue on their side because it works one day and then it stops working the next.  Comcast needs to get this straighten out it's disappointing they provide a service that doesn't work.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 14

Same problem here, it gives my this message...

Looks like you're not on your home WiFi

X1 box is out with no techs until Sunday, 

Now I can't watch at home on my laptop because of this error?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 10 of 14
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 11 of 14
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 12 of 14
Solution

Twiho wrote:

Sorry you're having trouble. We typically see this occur for one of the following reasons:

• A mobile device drops off the home network (even briefly) onto cellular
  • Customers are connected to the public "XFINITY WIFI" network instead of their actual home network
  • The customer's modem has recently renewed its IP address and it hasn't yet propagated to all the required systems. Note that restarting the modem can actually exacerbate this issue if it gets a new IP address.
  • The modem's MAC Address (unique identifier) isn't registered with Comcast. This is more prevalent with customers who own their own modems. 

If the app consistently says you aren't on your home network, it is likely the MAC address issue which requires a phone call to resolve. You can also download the XFINITY My Account app to verify the equipment on your account. This app also allows you to schedule a phone call at your convenience so you won't have to wait on hold.

I hope this helps,

ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 13 of 14

Registering the MAC address of your private modem with Comcast will allow you to play "available in home only" videos over wifi to you iPad or other devices.  This fix really WORKS.  I got on a chat with comcast, registered my modem and instantly videos that I couldn't play on my iPad started playing.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 14 of 14