New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

problems with TV listings (web browser)

Regular Contributor

problems with TV listings (web browser)

I have two issues with the TV listings app on Windows 7/Chrome:

- I can't choose both "HD" and "Favorites" as simultaneous filters.  I only watch HD, and of course, I'd prefer to see only my favorites, so why can't I choose both a the same time.  If memory serves me right, this can be done on IOS app.

- When I choose some HD channels, such as NBCSN (865), I see the corresponding SD channel listed - even when I have the HD.  In other words, I see 65 and 865 listed as favorites, even when I only picked 865 as a favorite.

The first issue bugs me the most.

New Poster

Re: problems with TV listings (web browser)

Each day, when I display COMCAST TV listings, I always get a location of zip code 19103; I'm in 97405, so I 'change location" to 97405, and click [save]. This works for this day; the next day, same exact thing happens. Is there a way to set the default PERMANENTLY to 97405?

Thanks,

Regular Contributor

Check your cookies setting on your browser.  If you don't accept cookies, delete cookies upon browser exit, or delete cookies (manually or via AV SW), your setting will disappear.

By the way, this has absolutely nothing to do with my issues, so please consider starting a new thread.

Problem Solver

lawnguru wrote:

I have two issues with the TV listings app on Windows 7/Chrome:

- I can't choose both "HD" and "Favorites" as simultaneous filters.  I only watch HD, and of course, I'd prefer to see only my favorites, so why can't I choose both a the same time.  If memory serves me right, this can be done on IOS app.

- When I choose some HD channels, such as NBCSN (865), I see the corresponding SD channel listed - even when I have the HD.  In other words, I see 65 and 865 listed as favorites, even when I only picked 865 as a favorite.

The first issue bugs me the most.

Both of these are very reasonable requests to improve the web site.  A few months ago I asked a similar question regarding multiple channels in the favorites list (SD and HD) an dsomeone from Comcast replied that they were working to correct that.  Apparently, the issue is that the "favorites" are coded by the channel label rather than the channel number and the labels are not unique.  In my case, having ESPN as a favorite shows not only both the SD and HD channels, but also the Spanish equivalents.  Plus, in my area,many stations exist on multiple channel numbers (the same ESPN broadcast takes up eight entries in my list, SD and HD versions of English and Spanish in two number "blocks").

I'm guessing this is a difficult problem (or it would have already been solved). You would think that it would be easy, but I bet it's complicated by the fact that the channel lineups change so often and differ so muchc by market.  I read somewhere that there is a cable industry (?) inititiative to come up with a standard numbering scheme for all channels such that something like the HBO East feed would be channel 1062 for SD and 1063 for HD on every system with new unique labels.  Note this uses four-digit numbers, which would take some getting used to but it sure would make "programming" easier and I bet it would eliminate many billing and setup errors.  I don't know the details and don't know about the progress; I bet it might take a few years to work things out.

Regular Contributor

I have to disagree that it's difficult.  Case in point: I have both "HD" and "Favorites" selected in my IOS app on my iPad.  Not only can I do this - and get only HD Favorites, but I do not have the SD equivalent channels clogging my list.

They are not fixing the web app because they don't want to.  If they don't know how to do it, they need to check with the team that wrote the IOS app.

Problem Solver

I agree that being able to apply more than one :"filter" should not be difficult (simultaneous "Favorites" and "HD").  My comments were directed at your second point:  the ability to define specific channels to the "Favorite" list itself without duplicates.

I wish Comcast had a specific way to make software suggestions, but I'm not aware of such a "suggestion box".  Customers like us only have this web site. Someone from Comcast usually will step in and say that they will "pass our comments to the developers".  We rarely hear anything more than that. 

Regular Contributor

Oh, ok, got it!  Still, I don't get duplicates on my iPad, so someone understands what needs to be done!

We both hope that someone is listening...Alas.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation