Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

new online tv guide

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 39

no favorites option

only a 1 1/2 hour window

1 1/2 hour window movie listing-icons only, no text only option

crappy black background

No choice to use older format

Fire the marketing idiots who consider this a better interface

38 REPLIES
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 39

drosera wrote:

no favorites option

only a 1 1/2 hour window

1 1/2 hour window movie listing-icons only, no text only option

crappy black background

No choice to use older format

Fire the marketing idiots who consider this a better interface

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings    a joke...  try :  http://www.zap2it.com     or     http://www.tv.com/listings/

Both require some setup, and there's no connection to DVR, but at least they're readable.  White background..  Smiley Wink

ciao, bj

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 3 of 39

I agree, drosera,  the new format stinks. It takes about 30 secs to log in, and if you leave the page for awhile you have to log in again!

And, why do I need to name my device each time as well? I am on a PC only. The creep of smartphones is too much. Newer doesn't mean better, just ask Microsoft customers.

Please, for the love of God,  Comcast/Xfinity -Restore the old website format, for us without smartphones and who liked it much better before without having to sign in, I mean we are already on Comcast for the last 15 years, why not at least allow the customer to pick which format to use? Or allow a cookie to be saved indefintely once one has signed in.

I resent having to sign in to find out what is on the high priced cable I rent from you.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 4 of 39

biffreznik wrote:

I agree, drosera,  the new format stinks. It takes about 30 secs to log in, and if you leave the page for awhile you have to log in again!

And, why do I need to name my device each time as well? I am on a PC only. The creep of smartphones is too much. Newer doesn't mean better, just ask Microsoft customers.

Please, for the love of God,  Comcast/Xfinity -Restore the old website format, for us without smartphones and who liked it much better before without having to sign in, I mean we are already on Comcast for the last 15 years, why not at least allow the customer to pick which format to use? Or allow a cookie to be saved indefintely once one has signed in.

I resent having to sign in to find out what is on the high priced cable I rent from you.

For your log out problem, have you tried this: log out, goto http://my.xfinity.com and log in clicking the keep me logged in box, then click on the tv icon to get to the listing page.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 5 of 39

Thanks, BlueJay.  Zapit is even better than the old Comcast guide

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 6 of 39

You're very welcome, drosera..  Smiley Happy    I agree, love the 6 hr window..  

ciao, bj

Posted by
New Poster

Message 7 of 39

Not only should the marketing people be fired, but so should the techies who scoped out and created the web page.

1) It does not work with Ubuntu because this OS does not allow Flash Player beyond version 11 and Xfinity wants version 15 or greater.

2) Why does Ubuntu not allow new versions of Flash? Could it be because Flash has had so many security flaws in the past? Anyone recommending Flash on a new web page is personally a security risk or a dolt.

3) After creating a VM to run Windows with Firefox and a current version of Flash, I brought up the tv guide and scrolled down to channels in the 400 range. I wanted to see what was on later in the afternoon. Clicking on the arrow showed a later time period. It also reset me to channel 2.

I can't even get Comcast to admit it won't work with Ubuntu. Way to go, Comcast.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 8 of 39

I wish I'd seen this forum first before I had spent 2 hours "chatting" with a Comcast expert! They kept trying to get me to set up my "favorites" on my TV. That's not what I wanted, I wanted to do that using the new guide on the computer! The first person could not comprehend that so she sent me to tech support. That person tried to do the same thing and when I told them again what I wanted he said he had to check something first and then he came back and said that he fixed the problem and that I had to log off for an hour. so I did.............................WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST TELL ME IT WASN'T POSSIBLE ON THE NEW GUIDE? Did they think I would get nasty with them? I wasn't on the phone with them, I can't scream at them and call them idiots! Next time Comcast, just tell the truth.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 39

Comcast, do you guys read these forums? I just wanted to add my voice that the new TV guide is beyond anything I've ever seen! All the people who implemented this monstrosity would have had to do to see how utterly broken this new format is, is to use it for 15 seconds. It is only a half step better than handing us stone tablets to use for this function. Not only is the new format visually unappealing, but also totally non-functional. The old format may have appeared to be somewhat pedestrian to you, but it WORKED, something no one will ever accuse this new format of. Not only did you take away the ability to filter the listings by your favorites, but then just to make it fair, you narrowed the viewing window to 2 hrs, and then to add insult to injury, you made the listings to go back to the top everytime you try to advance the time window. Imagine trying to review one of your favorite channels to select shows to record on your DVR that happens to be way down the list of channels. As soon as you advance the time window, the TV listings go back to the beginning, requiring you to once again scroll WAY down the list to get to your favorite channel.

I've been a software engineer for most of my life, and never have I seen such a blatant example of software implementation malpractice.

Comcast, if you're listening, please do something about this!!!!!   Either incorporate all the useful features from the old site that you so unceremoniously dropped on the floor with this new version, or just bring back the old site. I apologize if I sound somewhat frustrated, but I am!

If you're listening, please do something about this.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 10 of 39

Thank you Primafacie!!!  I couldn't have said it better!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 11 of 39

Primafacie, I agree with everything you said, especially with the listings moving back to the top every time you switch the time window.  The channels I watch the most are in the 200s through 900s, so that is a lot of needless scrolling (by the way, I tried to give your post a "kudo", but that doesn't work either -- big surprise  Smiley Wink ).

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 12 of 39

Primafacie wrote:

Comcast, do you guys read these forums? I just wanted to add my voice that the new TV guide is beyond anything I've ever seen! All the people who implemented this monstrosity would have had to do to see how utterly broken this new format is, is to use it for 15 seconds. It is only a half step better than handing us stone tablets to use for this function. Not only is the new format visually unappealing, but also totally non-functional. The old format may have appeared to be somewhat pedestrian to you, but it WORKED, something no one will ever accuse this new format of. Not only did you take away the ability to filter the listings by your favorites, but then just to make it fair, you narrowed the viewing window to 2 hrs, and then to add insult to injury, you made the listings to go back to the top everytime you try to advance the time window. Imagine trying to review one of your favorite channels to select shows to record on your DVR that happens to be way down the list of channels. As soon as you advance the time window, the TV listings go back to the beginning, requiring you to once again scroll WAY down the list to get to your favorite channel.

I've been a software engineer for most of my life, and never have I seen such a blatant example of software implementation malpractice.

Comcast, if you're listening, please do something about this!!!!!   Either incorporate all the useful features from the old site that you so unceremoniously dropped on the floor with this new version, or just bring back the old site. I apologize if I sound somewhat frustrated, but I am!

Comcast is listening. Favorite channels, a more compact grid view, quick channel finder, and a filter to hide the channels to which you don't subscribe are all on the roadmap.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 13 of 39

ComcastDan wrote:

Primafacie wrote:

Comcast is listening. Favorite channels, a more compact grid view, quick channel finder, and a filter to hide the channels to which you don't subscribe are all on the roadmap.

The ROADMAP should have been determined and printed PRIOR to the trip, NOT during and as ROADBLOCKS are encountered.        Just sayin'

ciao,, bj

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 14 of 39

Comcast, thank you for your reply. It's good to know that you're at least aware of these problems and how frustrating it is for us users out here. Since we have no idea how long your roadmap extends until it covers the TV Guide "do-over", I was curious about one thing. Approximately 3-4 weeks ago, I was able to at least select a channel way down the list, and have it remain showing that channel even after advancing the time window. While the 2 hour window was still a major pain, at least I could "crawl along" to program my DVR in advance. Then (again about 3 weeks or so ago) this behavior changed to what it is now (i.e. no matter which channel is being viewed, everytime the time window is advanced it returns the channel listing back to Channel 2. In the interim while we're all awaiting with bated breath these new improvements you've alluded to, would it be possible to "un-do" whatever change you made about 3 weeks ago so advancing the time window doesn't return the channel listings back to Channel 2?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 15 of 39

ComcastDan wrote:

Primafacie wrote:

And how about a visable indication of "new" shows? Without that I will still have to use a third party guide to browse for shows as I'm not going to click on every show to see if it is new. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 16 of 39

my sentiments entirely. Fire the useless person who messed up a perfectly wokable system. Apparently use of bad words is not permitted, what person decided on what is a bad word?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 17 of 39

Comcast. I just want to say thank you for making the minor fix to the TV Guide. While I'm still ooking forward to you returning many of the previous features that were dropped from the new version (i.e. favorite channels, a larger time window, showing whether or not a show was already scheduled for recording), I wanted to make sure to thank you the small change you recently made of not automatically returning the listings back to channel 2 whenever you advance the time window. I just tried it and it appears to stay with the channel listings that were displayed on prior to advancing the time window. Thank you!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 18 of 39

If you use Chrome, you can use my extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hide-tv-listings-htvl/emahdgfobodhknccbigjmnhpgihmmjbf

It allows you to mark favorites, hide channels, and create custom filters.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 19 of 39

Primafacie wrote:

Comcast. I just want to say thank you for making the minor fix to the TV Guide. While I'm still ooking forward to you returning many of the previous features that were dropped from the new version (i.e. favorite channels, a larger time window, showing whether or not a show was already scheduled for recording), I wanted to make sure to thank you the small change you recently made of not automatically returning the listings back to channel 2 whenever you advance the time window. I just tried it and it appears to stay with the channel listings that were displayed on prior to advancing the time window. Thank you!

Thank you for noticing and for the feedback.  I'll send your comment to the team. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 20 of 39

The new online guide is a piece of junk.  The designers should be fired.  If they have alraedy been fired they should be rehired so that they can be fired for this.  To make matters worse Scamcast will not resapond to questions about fixing this disaster.  I will not be renewing with Scamcast.  Based on Scamcast's response to problems in about 2 years they will have no subscribers.  YAY CORDCUTTERS!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 21 of 39

So glad you addressed this problem. This is my situation too and it's so unnecessary. Naming my divice's every time i log in! What's the purpose for that for pete sake? I forgot the last name i used so i just make up something every time!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 22 of 39

I continue to suspend belief that Comcast would continue to tolerate the abomination that the newly designed web interface for TV Guide and Movies on Demand has become. It violates just about every precept of good web design. Based on the severity of these design defects, I'm surprised that Comcast hasn't considered this an emergency and addressed it before now. Even just bringing back the old interface would be a vast improvement over the current mess. Comcast, this is a window into your brand, and it is suffering greatly because of it. I find myself getting increasingly annoyed everytime I use it to program my DVR. You are driving customers away with this mess. Please do something about this, other than just say it's on your roadmap. If something is done quickly, your alienation of your current customers will result in significantly fewer users. Haven't you ever heard the addage that it is more expensive to get a new customer rather than keeping a current customer.

Please listen to the frustration expressed by so many people. Again, if nothing else, just bring back the old format until you get this new one replaced

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 23 of 39

Primafacie wrote:

I continue to suspend belief that Comcast would continue to tolerate the abomination that the newly designed web interface for TV Guide and Movies on Demand has become. It violates just about every precept of good web design. Based on the severity of these design defects, I'm surprised that Comcast hasn't considered this an emergency and addressed it before now. Even just bringing back the old interface would be a vast improvement over the current mess. Comcast, this is a window into your brand, and it is suffering greatly because of it. I find myself getting increasingly annoyed everytime I use it to program my DVR. You are driving customers away with this mess. Please do something about this, other than just say it's on your roadmap. If something is done quickly, your alienation of your current customers will result in significantly fewer users. Haven't you ever heard the addage that it is more expensive to get a new customer rather than keeping a current customer.

Please listen to the frustration expressed by so many people. Again, if nothing else, just bring back the old format until you get this new one replaced

I appreciate the feedback and will share it with the team. It is not technically feasible to bring back the old interface. The TV Go website was an entirely different code-base and the underlying systems that powered it can no longer be supported. 

Features will continue to be added to the new experience and the user interface will continue to be optimized based on user research and feedback from passionate customers like yourself. Specificity in feedback is particularly useful rather than terms like "abomination" which are hard to translate into design changes. If you've already communicated your specific requests in the forums, rest assured they have been capture and communicated to the appropriate teams.

Best,

ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 24 of 39

ComcastDan wrote:

Primafacie wrote:

I appreciate the feedback and will share it with the team. It is not technically feasible to bring back the old interface. The TV Go website was an entirely different code-base and the underlying systems that powered it can no longer be supported. 

Features will continue to be added to the new experience and the user interface will continue to be optimized based on user research and feedback from passionate customers like yourself. Specificity in feedback is particularly useful rather than terms like "abomination" which are hard to translate into design changes. If you've already communicated your specific requests in the forums, rest assured they have been capture and communicated to the appropriate teams.

Best,

ComcastDan

Did one of us give you feedback saying they wanted a new way to select a future date and time on the guide that takes up to 11 clicks to do that, or did your guys come up with that all on their own? And why was that given priority over the the feedback for changes that would actually make the web site easier to use? And where is the sense of urgency to make these changes in the months since you started getting feedback? I can't believe Comcast lacks the resources to do that more quickly.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 25 of 39

swanda wrote:

ComcastDan wrote:

Primafacie wrote:

Best,

ComcastDan

Did one of us give you feedback saying they wanted a new way to select a future date and time on the guide that takes up to 11 clicks to do that, or did your guys come up with that all on their own? And why was that given priority over the the feedback for changes that would actually make the web site easier to use? And where is the sense of urgency to make these changes in the months since you started getting feedback? I can't believe Comcast lacks the resources to do that more quickly.

Yes, the feedback was that users wanted a quick way to jump to primetime and future dates. 

Thanks,

ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 26 of 39

ComcastDan wrote:

swanda wrote:

ComcastDan wrote:

Primafacie wrote:

Best,

ComcastDan

Yes, the feedback was that users wanted a quick way to jump to primetime and future dates. 

Thanks,

ComcastDan

Come on Dan, who tested those changes though? They made the date picking interface worse than it was previously by requiring extra mouse clicks to get to the future date (see this post).

Also a quick way to get to Primetime wasn't tested correctly. I live in Central time, and clicking "Evening" for me takes me to 8 PM. Primetime for me starts at 7 PM. Even the old TV Go website was able to get to the correct primetime for my time zone.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 27 of 39

ComcastDan wrote:

swanda wrote:

ComcastDan wrote:

Primafacie wrote:

Best,

ComcastDan

Thanks,

ComcastDan

Then they utterly failed to do that. Try it yourself, and see how many clicks it takes to go to a future date and time. Then go to Zap2it's guide and see how they do it in 2 clicks. And that still doesn't answer why that was a priority rather than Favorite Channels or a more compact guide with more than 2 hours or designation of new shows. 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 28 of 39

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

ComcastDan wrote:

swanda wrote:

ComcastDan wrote:

Primafacie wrote:

Best,

ComcastDan

Thanks,

ComcastDan

Come on Dan, who tested those changes though? They made the date picking interface worse than it was previously by requiring extra mouse clicks to get to the future date (see this post).

Also a quick way to get to Primetime wasn't tested correctly. I live in Central time, and clicking "Evening" for me takes me to 8 PM. Primetime for me starts at 7 PM. Even the old TV Go website was able to get to the correct primetime for my time zone.

Yes, and I appreciate the overall feedback and specific issues in the Central time zone. I replayed it to the technical team on Friday and suggested they add additional logic about an offset for primetime in central time. They are also aware of the concerns about number of clicks and complexity.

Please keep the feedback coming. It helps us prioritize improvements and make the products better for all. 

Cheers,
ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 29 of 39

Chrome users can use this:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hide-tv-listings-htvl/emahdgfobodhknccbigjmnhpgihmmjbf

It allows you to create favorite channels, as well as customizable filters.  I am uploading a new version now, please allow about an hour.  The new version is v2.2.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 30 of 39

devhl wrote:

Chrome users can use this:

It allows you to create favorite channels, as well as customizable filters.  I am uploading a new version now, please allow about an hour.  The new version is v2.2.

devhl, thanks for the fix to your extension. Works like a charm. Maybe Comcast should pay you to fix their website.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 31 of 39

Appreciate your feedback and looking forward to functionality being added back. Some things, that are found in every TV listing ever, such as Favorites, should have been in the original release. Why would the developers thing that scrolling through 897 channels was a good idea? 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 32 of 39

Dear ComcastDan,

I appreciate that you follow this forum. I also appreciate the fact that when I use words like abomination, it doesn't supply you with details but rather just displays my continued frustration with design aspects of this site that are just basic

ComcastDan wrote:

Primafacie wrote:

Best,

ComcastDan

violations of good web design 101. Therefore, here are a few specifics (some of which I and others have mentioned before).

1. provide better filtering for the TV Guide (i.e. allow me to select "my favorite channels" like in the old interface. Out of the 100+ channels listed, it would be nice to filter down the list when trying to do some advanced DVR programming to just a few handful of channels that I'm interested in. This allows me to view the programming on all of my selected channels at once when advancing the time periods. (like the old interface)
  2. On the TV Guide view, indicate those shows that I already have scheduled to record so I don't have to "open up" the show to see if I have recording set (like the old interface)
  3. Allow me to increase the time window for the view (i.e. it currently only shows 2 hrs at a time while with the old interface I could increase the time window to show up to 5 hours per view)
  4. The current white lettering on black background is more difficult to read than the older black on white display

While I have your attention, can I also provide you with some feedback on the On-Demand screens?

1. WHenever I click on the button to get more info on a movie, clicking the return function goes back to the previous list of movies, but not where I was at (i.e. it goes to the top of the list.
  2. If you want to see a much better design for your on-demand movies (or TV programs) interface, just go to Netflix. They offer simple hover text so you can quickly traverse the list. Also, when you click into a movie to get more details, you can go back to the original list simply by "x'ing' that window and it quickly returns to the previous view without taking you to a new window.
  3. When i go to see all of the movies for a specific category, you go to this list view that provides "NO" information about the movie except for its title. When you click on a movie title to get more info on the movie and try to return to the list, you go right back to the top of the list, even though you may have been down towards the bottom of the list (You had this same problem with the TV Guide whenever you advanced the time - you would go back to channel 2 no matter which channel listing you were viewing at the time - but you guys fixed that - Thanks)
  4. You have plenty of screen real estate in the movie list view to provide info about that movie thus not forcing me to click into each title just to see what it is all about.

What surprises me is that the old comcast web interface was maybe a little dated, but it functioned much better that the current one. Is there any chance of simply going back to the old interface that at least had the "Work Option" incorporated into it, rather than the current interface. While I may have missed it, I don't recall seeing one posting of where someone thinks the new interface is an improvement. I've seen these complaints for months and months now with very little progress towards fixing them.

Well, enough of me venting my spleen. I do appreciate you, ComcastDan for looking at these posts, and these frustrations are not directed towards you. I'm just glad that you're in here and actually read these postings.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 33 of 39

Primafacie wrote:

Dear ComcastDan,

I appreciate that you follow this forum. I also appreciate the fact that when I use words like abomination, it doesn't supply you with details but rather just displays my continued frustration with design aspects of this site that are just basic

ComcastDan wrote:

Primafacie wrote:

Best,

ComcastDan

violations of good web design 101. Therefore, here are a few specifics (some of which I and others have mentioned before).

1. provide better filtering for the TV Guide (i.e. allow me to select "my favorite channels" like in the old interface. Out of the 100+ channels listed, it would be nice to filter down the list when trying to do some advanced DVR programming to just a few handful of channels that I'm interested in. This allows me to view the programming on all of my selected channels at once when advancing the time periods. (like the old interface)
  2. On the TV Guide view, indicate those shows that I already have scheduled to record so I don't have to "open up" the show to see if I have recording set (like the old interface)
  3. Allow me to increase the time window for the view (i.e. it currently only shows 2 hrs at a time while with the old interface I could increase the time window to show up to 5 hours per view)
  4. The current white lettering on black background is more difficult to read than the older black on white display

While I have your attention, can I also provide you with some feedback on the On-Demand screens?

1. WHenever I click on the button to get more info on a movie, clicking the return function goes back to the previous list of movies, but not where I was at (i.e. it goes to the top of the list.
  2. If you want to see a much better design for your on-demand movies (or TV programs) interface, just go to Netflix. They offer simple hover text so you can quickly traverse the list. Also, when you click into a movie to get more details, you can go back to the original list simply by "x'ing' that window and it quickly returns to the previous view without taking you to a new window.
  3. When i go to see all of the movies for a specific category, you go to this list view that provides "NO" information about the movie except for its title. When you click on a movie title to get more info on the movie and try to return to the list, you go right back to the top of the list, even though you may have been down towards the bottom of the list (You had this same problem with the TV Guide whenever you advanced the time - you would go back to channel 2 no matter which channel listing you were viewing at the time - but you guys fixed that - Thanks)
  4. You have plenty of screen real estate in the movie list view to provide info about that movie thus not forcing me to click into each title just to see what it is all about.

What surprises me is that the old comcast web interface was maybe a little dated, but it functioned much better that the current one. Is there any chance of simply going back to the old interface that at least had the "Work Option" incorporated into it, rather than the current interface. While I may have missed it, I don't recall seeing one posting of where someone thinks the new interface is an improvement. I've seen these complaints for months and months now with very little progress towards fixing them.

Well, enough of me venting my spleen. I do appreciate you, ComcastDan for looking at these posts, and these frustrations are not directed towards you. I'm just glad that you're in here and actually read these postings.

Thanks for the specific feedback - it is very helpful. I've shared your comments with the design team and can confirm that a couple of the requested items are already being developed (favorite channels and the ability to view more time-periods in the Live TV section). I'm not sure about the status of the other requests but will continue to provide updates as I have information. 

Keep 'em coming!

-ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 34 of 39

Dear ComcastDan,

I just wanted to say thank you for listening!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 35 of 39

Primafacie wrote:

Dear ComcastDan,

I just wanted to say thank you for listening!

You're very welcome!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 36 of 39

Dear ComcastDan,

Since you appear to be one of the few Comcast employees that actually read and respond in these forums, I was wondering if you could clear something up for me. I like the fact that the new cloud storage for my DVR recorded shows allows me to access these shows on-line, even when I'm away from home. However, there is a huge downside to this new cloud storage. Mainly, my DVR can store significantly more content than I'm allowed in cloud storage (for example, when my cloud storage is at 37%, my DVR is at 22% with up to 5-times the amount of content. What is frustrating is that there is no way to by-pass cloud storage when scheduling recordings. Even when I scheduled a recording from my DVR and not through the web-site, it shows up on Cloud storage. While I used to be limited only by the capacity of my DVR for the amount of records that I could keep, I'm now limited by the individual cloud storage capacity. It would be nice to have a function that would delete the content from my cloud storage only, but leave it on my DVR unless I specifically deleted it from there. Am I missing something here?

Again, thank you for your previous responsiveness to my posts. I look forward to your feedback.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 37 of 39

Primafacie wrote:

Dear ComcastDan,

Since you appear to be one of the few Comcast employees that actually read and respond in these forums, I was wondering if you could clear something up for me. I like the fact that the new cloud storage for my DVR recorded shows allows me to access these shows on-line, even when I'm away from home. However, there is a huge downside to this new cloud storage. Mainly, my DVR can store significantly more content than I'm allowed in cloud storage (for example, when my cloud storage is at 37%, my DVR is at 22% with up to 5-times the amount of content. What is frustrating is that there is no way to by-pass cloud storage when scheduling recordings. Even when I scheduled a recording from my DVR and not through the web-site, it shows up on Cloud storage. While I used to be limited only by the capacity of my DVR for the amount of records that I could keep, I'm now limited by the individual cloud storage capacity. It would be nice to have a function that would delete the content from my cloud storage only, but leave it on my DVR unless I specifically deleted it from there. Am I missing something here?

Again, thank you for your previous responsiveness to my posts. I look forward to your feedback.

Thank you for the great question and feedback. Eventually, Cloud DVR will 100% match what is on your physical DVR. The infrastructure is still being optimized, which necessitates the 60 hour limit.

There are a couple options for you in the meantime.  The (somewhat) expensive one is to get a 2nd physical X1 DVR which doubles your cloud storage to 120 hours and makes it less likely you'll hit limits at home or on the go.  The other feature which may be useful is to change recording options for shows that are important to you to "Keep for 1 year" so they don't get deleted from either the Cloud or local DVR.  I know neither of these give the flexibility you are asking about but could buy some time until we're 1 to 1 with storage. Another great benefit of this is that if your physical DVR needs to be replaced, you'd still have all your recordings stored in the Cloud and can play them back through your set-top box.

Here's the Cloud DVR FAQ if you haven't seen it:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

Best,

ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 38 of 39

Hi ComcastDan,

Thank you again for your quick reply. That is good news that the online cloud storage will eventually be increased to match what is on my DVR at home. Thank you too for the link to the FAQ. There was one note here that I'd like to clarify with you. One of the notes states:

• Only the most recent 60 hours of recordings are available for X1 Cloud DVR functionality. The availability of content on your mobile devices and computers may be slightly less than that on your TV. If you exceed the 60-hour limit, the oldest recordings will drop off for any new recordings. These recordings may still be available for viewing on your TV.

The last sentence in this note appears to imply the following: When I exceed my 60 hours on the cloud, the oldest recordings are dropped off in the cloud, but still are on my DVR (in other words, while I can't view them online, I can still access them from my TV through my DVR). Is this correct or am I reading too much into that last sentence??

Again, thank you for your responsiveness.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 39 of 39

Primafacie wrote:

Hi ComcastDan,

Thank you again for your quick reply. That is good news that the online cloud storage will eventually be increased to match what is on my DVR at home. Thank you too for the link to the FAQ. There was one note here that I'd like to clarify with you. One of the notes states:

• Only the most recent 60 hours of recordings are available for X1 Cloud DVR functionality. The availability of content on your mobile devices and computers may be slightly less than that on your TV. If you exceed the 60-hour limit, the oldest recordings will drop off for any new recordings. These recordings may still be available for viewing on your TV.

The last sentence in this note appears to imply the following: When I exceed my 60 hours on the cloud, the oldest recordings are dropped off in the cloud, but still are on my DVR (in other words, while I can't view them online, I can still access them from my TV through my DVR). Is this correct or am I reading too much into that last sentence??

Again, thank you for your responsiveness.

You are very welcome!

That is correct. Cloud DVR storage is limited to 60 hours while your physical DVR storage is 500GB (over 100 hours but depends on SD versus HD and other factors such as video compression).  So, what happens is the oldest recordings not marked as "Save for 1 year" become unavailable via the apps/website when you hit 100% but are still available on your physical DVR.  You will also notice that the "% Available" won't match between Cloud (as seen in the Stream app) and physical DVR (as seen on your set-top box) because the base storage doesn't match.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.