Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

forced to watch commercials

Frequent Visitor

forced to watch commercials

Each day you force us to watch commercials in order to see news articles.  29 seconds of hogwash to see what we have already paid to see with our costs to see your product.

Why do you force us to do that?

Regular Contributor

Re: forced to watch commercials

It would help if anyone knew what you are talking about.  Commercials are part of it.  They always have been.  I have never paid for cable service and obtained a completely commercial free service.  Fo that you have to order a premium channel like HBO.  And then it only applies to those channels.

Problem Solver

Cable has been using commercials within a few years after first starting by promising "No commercials" if we paid for their service.

That would put it around 1977.  Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

Dear NotAnyone/Klawdek,

Even on comcast not every news spot forces you to spend 14 to 29 seconds on a commercialbut when they do comcast recieves money from you and I {We pay comcast for the Internet Service don't we NotAnyone/Klawdek} plus the company who pays them for the commercial.

So the question is why do we pay and not have a choice or as many advertisers do - have a chance to skip it after 3/4 seconds?

So comcast please answer the questions - why are you taking advantage of us and why not offer some ways to avoid spending time we will never get back in this lifetime.

Official Employee

Baynor wrote:

Dear NotAnyone/Klawdek,

Even on comcast not every news spot forces you to spend 14 to 29 seconds on a commercialbut when they do comcast recieves money from you and I {We pay comcast for the Internet Service don't we NotAnyone/Klawdek} plus the company who pays them for the commercial.

So the question is why do we pay and not have a choice or as many advertisers do - have a chance to skip it after 3/4 seconds?

So comcast please answer the questions - why are you taking advantage of us and why not offer some ways to avoid spending time we will never get back in this lifetime.

I'm not certain I understand your question. Are you referring to the short-form "Today in Video" clips on http://my.xfinity.com/video ? If you feel taken advantage of by watching those, I strongly encourage you to stop watching them. They are optional but many subscribers enjoy warching them and appreciate the care our editorial team takes in curating them. Perhaps a $15/month subscription to YouTube Red would suit you better.

Or are you asking why most full-length television shows contain commercials? The industry is split into advertising supported networks (ABC, NBC, ESPN and etc.) and premium networks (HBO, Showtime, Starz and etc.). Most premium networks have few if any commercials but come at increased cost to subscribe. Ad-supported networks include commercials to offset the production costs for the content. 

I see from your account info that you are an X1 subscriber with multi-room DVR. That makes you eligible for our Cloud DVR product at no additional cost. With the Cloud DVR, you can watch all your DVR content on the XFINITY TV portal (https://tv.xfinity.com) or via the XFINITY TV app for iOS and Android. The X1 Cloud and regular DVR allows you to skip any commercials you'd like. If you're interested, please call us at 800-XFINITY and request that the "Cloud DVR rate codes" get added to your account.

I hope this will help make more efficient use of your time and reduce any frustration.

Best,
ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Dearest comcast dan,

I am on a computer in a room that doesn't have a dvr so your solution doesn't work does it.  

So it comes down to making a choice in many regards: Do I suffer through an oppresive company who doesn't care - who literly says tough luck Baynor - nice CSI danny.

Me thinks comcast is much like a monopoly who doesn't care what their clients think.  Once again nice customer relations danny boy.

Meanwhile you didn't answer my question - Why not allow an opportunity to cancel watching a commercial after 3 or 4 seconds as most responsible companies do?

Official Employee

Baynor wrote:

Dearest comcast dan,

I am on a computer in a room that doesn't have a dvr so your solution doesn't work does it.  

So it comes down to making a choice in many regards: Do I suffer through an oppresive company who doesn't care - who literly says tough luck Baynor - nice CSI danny.

Me thinks comcast is much like a monopoly who doesn't care what their clients think.  Once again nice customer relations danny boy.

Meanwhile you didn't answer my question - Why not allow an opportunity to cancel watching a commercial after 3 or 4 seconds as most responsible companies do?

My previous recommendation was meant to be helpful and I appologize if it wasn't' taken that way. Cloud DVR recordings can be watched from anywhere within the USA, including in rooms without a DVR. You can learn more here: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

Commercials typically can't be skipped because they are required by the content creators/distributors as a means of offsetting production costs. These commercials are inserted into the programming by the programmers. The outlet I'm familiar with that allows users to skip commercials after a few seconds is YouTube, where the vast majority of content is user-generated. 

I'll share your request to allow skipping of commercials with our content team. 

Best,

ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Dear Dan - are you saying that the news agencies like Rieters, Associated Press, etc pay you to run their news releases? I don't think so. Yet you force us to get through 14 to 29 seconds to see what they provided you.  Why is that?

Frequent Visitor

Once Again - Dear Dan,

I just tried to watch a video on a spider wandering into a bee hive and was forced to watch a 29 second commercial.  The video was offered without advertising by the Weather Channel but comcast forced me to watch a commercial by another company to watch the freebie from the Weather Channel.

This isn't the way you said it had to be due to the company offering the video had expenses thus we had to watch the commercail - this clearly wasn't the case was it?

Your response please - soon.  And Still waiting for your response to my last question.

New Poster

Why do I have to watch a 30 second comercial before every news video? Isn't there a way to skip them and just see the news?

Service Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Oh I so agree!  I was looking to see if other people were getting frustrated with watching commercials.  I'm referring to working on my computer and looking at the 30 second video clips of news stories for the day.  I'm forced to watch a 15 to 30 second commercial before the video comes on.  OK, so then if I click on another video clip, I'm forced to watch another commercial, and so it goes on ...commercial, video, commercial video..sometimes I'm seeing the same commercial over and over again.  This is ridulous..I'm paying for internet.  TOO MANY ADS with xfinity..how did it get like this...why do we accept everything they throw at us?  Well what I've learned to do is click the video, open a new tab and do something else for 30 seconds until it's finished and go back and watch the video.  For 1/2 hr of viewing video clips, I'm watching 1/2 of commercials...even more than you get watching TV.  Do you remember when cable was suppose to be commercial free?  Yeah sure!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for all the support.

Almost as bad as being forced to watch commercials is comcasts refusal to answer my questions.  real customer satisfaction at work - NOT!