Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

feedback on tv app for iphone

Regular Contributor

feedback on tv app for iphone

I loaded the tv app on my new iphone so I could watch video on the phone. What I did not expect was to have all of my cable boxes immediately have banners pop up, identifying them with names, and that these banners would not go away even 30 minutes later. I had to go to each box, one by one, and turn of the banner. Some of them are setup to only receive an ir blaster command, so this was not an easy task.

First, that banner should turn off after 30 seconds. If someone needs it again, they can test the tv again. 30 minutes is ridiculous.

Second, the banners should not appear on all of the tvs when you log in. They should only turn on when you hit the test button.

Third, controlling a tv should not be an automatic feature when you log in. You should have the option to turn that on or off. I do NOT want to control any of my tvs with my phone. I have remotes for that. I only want to watch video on my phone. Having to worry about these banners popping up every time I log in means that I will be afraid to use the app when I am not home to turn them off (some boxes feed to personal DVRs). I want to log in and go right to PLAY. I don't care what tv I am currently controlling because I don't want to control any of them. I want to turn that off so I don't mess anything up by mistake.

This app has potential, but it should be designed so that the user has more control over what it should do. Controlling tvs should not be the primary function.

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: feedback on tv app for iphone

controlling tv is not the primary function, you should just stay logged logged in.  What you are descdribing does not happen on my phone with that app.  If you click the tv tab top of the page here then the wheel bottom right of next page under cables boxes you can disable tv control.  What you describe is not how it works so something is wrong in your set up.

Regular Contributor

On an iphone app? I don't have tabs. I have TV lilstings, OnDemand, Play and Settings on the bottom. Even after setup, when I open the app again, the first thing it tells me is what TV I am controlling. I would LOVE to be able to turn that all off.

Silver Problem Solver

When you go into the app click more on the bottom right then click settings, at the top it says the tv you are currently controlling, click that tv's name in there on the bottom it says welcome back screen, turn that to off if you do  not want to see what tv your controlling when you use the app. 

Regular Contributor

Thanks. I actually don't have "more" but have "settings" on the far right bottom. I turned off the welcome screen. BUT how to I turn off control of any of my boxes from the app. That is what I really want. I don't want that app doing anything to my setup.

Silver Problem Solver

you have to go to the tv tab top of this page, then click the wheel on the next page in the bottom right corner, in the manage cable box section where it says allow remote control make sure you click no. 

Regular Contributor

I still cannot find what you are talking about, but would love to.

Within settings, I can either choose which TV to control (and turn off the welcome screen) or choose TV settings to assign /rename all of my boxes (and that is it). Whether I am in either of these pages or the general settings page, there is no wheel except for the gear symbol that is for settings. If I press that it takes me to the same settings page. I do not have a manage cable box section within settings. I have Channel Lineup, Fav Channels, Parental Control, History, Applications, Feedback, About and FAQs (and sign out). My app version is 1.10.1.1203232. Maybe you have an older version?

Silver Problem Solver

I am not talking about on your phone, you have to do this on your computer, you main settings are not on the app.  Please follow the previous instructions on your computer. Yes I mean the little gear on the bottom right of the page click there then go to manage cable boxes and dvrs in there you will see tv control, click the off radio button.  Again this is on your computer not in the app.

Regular Contributor

My whole post was about the iphone app, so I had no idea you were talking about the website.

So, I found that page on the website. All of the my devices per renamed per the iphone app setup, but all are already set to not allow tv control. So, I guess that blue screen was just the initial setup, although it happened a few times.

I tried to change the channel with the phone, to make sure I could not, and the app gave an error message. What would be better is if it told you that you have to turn on control in your web account since I am sure some people want this.

I even looked in a family member's account to see if her's were on or off, and they are also off by default. Comcast needs to provide instructions for this. Whenever I looked up how to solve these issues, the instructions and faq links always led me to a page on cable boxes.

Thanks for your help. If I would have known you meant the webpage initially, I would have not had so many questions. I did not realize how linked they were.

Silver Problem Solver

No problem, glad it works better for you now.  The only way I found any of this out was just trial and error and just looking around.  There should be some instructions but there are not.   enjoy

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation