Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

control my DVR from computer

Frequent Visitor

control my DVR from computer

What happened to the TV guide grid for my favorites and the ability to control my DVR from my computer?  The new guide giving me the ability to watch programs from my computer is not what I need.  This was certainly NOT a beneficial change for many of us.   Are the old features still available somewhere I have not found?

Official Employee

Re: control my DVR from computer

WoodridgeGuy wrote:

What happened to the TV guide grid for my favorites and the ability to control my DVR from my computer?  The new guide giving me the ability to watch programs from my computer is not what I need.  This was certainly NOT a beneficial change for many of us.   Are the old features still available somewhere I have not found?

You can mange your DVR from the XFINITY TV Remote app available for iOS and Android.  X1 users can still schedule recordings from the XFINITY TV website and apps.  X1 is a free or low cost upgrade (depends if you have "Anyroom DVR" on your account already).

Best,
ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

As is par for the course, the question was completely misunderstood and the answer is 100% irrelevant to the question Dan.

The "TV Listings" page (which no longer exists) allowed X1 users to browse the program grid from their desktop and laptop computers, and change the channel on the X1 box with a single click on the channel name on the left of the page, or the "Watch on TV" button included on the drop down program description.

This function was available for Apple, Android, and (most importantly) WINDOWS PCs because it was a simple web page, NOT an app!.

The app you recommend (The Xfinity TV Remote App) isn't compatible with Windows and, in fact, is only available at Google play for Android, and iStore for Apple devices.

So in short Dan, what you are recommending is that we load the TV portal to find the programs we want to watch (on our X1Box), and then pick up the Android, or Apple mobile device and load the "Xfinity TV Remote App" and change the X1 channel with only a short four or five clicks.
I have tried numerous times to explain how the company has RUINED your web presence alltogether for those (millions) of us who still use Windows and Linux (and other NON APPLE OR ANDROID) computers, but I have yet to find anyone at Comcast who is even familiar with the page referenced. If you would like to see a reasonable facsimile of that page click over to https://archive.org/web/ , and search for http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings.

Your company in their zeal to migrate to the bugeoning mobile markets, has abandoned millions of loyal customers who still use desktop and laptop computers in their homes.

Thay have discarded a very popular product, and in my opinion have shown that my satisfaction is of no importance at all, in spite of my many years as a customer.

Forgive me if I'm being a bit condescending with you, let's just chalk it up to my frustration with trying to communicate this issue to your co-workers.

Official Employee

mrstephenlee123 wrote:

As is par for the course, the question was completely misunderstood and the answer is 100% irrelevant to the question Dan.

The "TV Listings" page (which no longer exists) allowed X1 users to browse the program grid from their desktop and laptop computers, and change the channel on the X1 box with a single click on the channel name on the left of the page, or the "Watch on TV" button included on the drop down program description.

This function was available for Apple, Android, and (most importantly) WINDOWS PCs because it was a simple web page, NOT an app!.

The app you recommend (The Xfinity TV Remote App) isn't compatible with Windows and, in fact, is only available at Google play for Android, and iStore for Apple devices.

So in short Dan, what you are recommending is that we load the TV portal to find the programs we want to watch (on our X1Box), and then pick up the Android, or Apple mobile device and load the "Xfinity TV Remote App" and change the X1 channel with only a short four or five clicks.
I have tried numerous times to explain how the company has RUINED your web presence alltogether for those (millions) of us who still use Windows and Linux (and other NON APPLE OR ANDROID) computers, but I have yet to find anyone at Comcast who is even familiar with the page referenced. If you would like to see a reasonable facsimile of that page click over to https://archive.org/web/ , and search for http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings.

Your company in their zeal to migrate to the bugeoning mobile markets, has abandoned millions of loyal customers who still use desktop and laptop computers in their homes.

Thay have discarded a very popular product, and in my opinion have shown that my satisfaction is of no importance at all, in spite of my many years as a customer.

Forgive me if I'm being a bit condescending with you, let's just chalk it up to my frustration with trying to communicate this issue to your co-workers.

Thank you for clarifying your concerns and I appologize if my coworkers have had difficulty understanding the functionality your are referencing. Customer satisfaction is very important to Comcast and your feedback is helpful to understanding the variety of customer needs.

The main feature your mention above is called "Remote Tune" (or "rTune" internally) which allows subscribers to initiate playback of live, On Demand or DVR content on their televisions. As you properly noted, this is not currently offered on the new XFINITY TV website but was in the former XFINITY TV Go website.

The new XFINITY TV website and app's primary mission is to allow streaming of content on the device (watch your full lineup, thousands of On Demand titles and X1 customers can stream their DVR recordings from anywhere in the USA). The XFINITY TV Remote (iOS and Android) apps' mission is to remotely control the television's set-top box to tune or schedule recordings.  The former TV Go website combined these into a single experience while the new website does not and is, instead, aligned with the capabilities of the XFINITY TV app (and there's no separate web experience that is equivalent to the TV Remote app).

I'll share your feedback with the technical team and appreciate your loyalty over the years. 

Happy New Year,

ComcastDan

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your rapid, and intellegent reply Dan. I understand completely that capturing a larger share of the mobile market is high on the list for Cmcast, but I don't understand why it was necessary to decommision the TV listings page with the "rTune" capability in order to implement the TV Portal and TV App for the mobile market. It seems to me that the the TV Listings page could operate autonimously without affecting the other web services. I appreciate you talking to your superiors about my issue, but if you could explain why it was necessary to remove my beloved TV listings page perhaps it would ease my sence of loss and growing animosity towards Comcast. I don't like it when my toys are taken away!

Happy New Year.

S. Lee

Official Employee

mrstephenlee123 wrote:

Thank you for your rapid, and intellegent reply Dan. I understand completely that capturing a larger share of the mobile market is high on the list for Cmcast, but I don't understand why it was necessary to decommision the TV listings page with the "rTune" capability in order to implement the TV Portal and TV App for the mobile market. It seems to me that the the TV Listings page could operate autonimously without affecting the other web services. I appreciate you talking to your superiors about my issue, but if you could explain why it was necessary to remove my beloved TV listings page perhaps it would ease my sence of loss and growing animosity towards Comcast. I don't like it when my toys are taken away!

Happy New Year.

S. Lee

Hi S. Lee,

The former TV Go website was built over 7 years ago and the underlying technology could no longer be supported given the advances to modern web browsers. In the industry we call this "tech debt" and it is very difficult to continually band-aid things to maintain compatibility. In addition, the source of metadata (i.e. descriptions of shows, titles, TV listings and etc) needed to be switched across the entire company which was a nearly year-long undertaking. The conversion to this new source occurred in November which necessitated the miteration from TV Go to the new XFINITY TV site with a hard deadline. Finally, the same technical team was tasked with keeping the former TV Go afloat while also building the new experience - diverting resources instead of allowing them to focus and build for the future with the new experience.

The team is far from done - they roll out enhancements at least monthly and have an extensive roadmap intended to close many of the gaps in features. The primary mission of the site, however, is for streaming of live TV, free On Demand, purchased/rented content, and Cloud DVR recordings (available for X1 DVR subscribers), rather than remote control of the television which is better handled by the iOS/Android TV Remote app. Data revealed a consistent shift from web to mobile for this functionality with remote tuning and remote DVR scheduling a tiny fraction (single digits) on web versus mobile. It isn't so much that Comcast is attempting to "capture a larger share of the mobile market" and more that we're trying to meet our customers where they are (or will be shifting to in the coming years based on macro trends). 

I hope this helps explain the rationale and that you grow to enjoy and appreciate the new experience as it continues to evolve into the best streaming TV service on the market.

Cheer,

ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Hello again ComcastDan. It seems we MAY still have a communication breakdown.The URL for the page I'm refering to was http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings, NOT the currently redirected site https://tv.xfinity.com/listings A few incarnations can still be found in the "Wayback Machine". This link ( https://web.archive.org/web/20151229133125/http://tvgo.xfinity.com/tv-listings ) will land you on an example of that page from 12/30/2014. Please note the "Watch on TV" option near the top of the page. This is the control we are missing. Would it maybe be possible to place a "Watch on TV" option in the TV Portal page that would allow us to control our X1 boxes with the rTune command? If you say that this can't (or won't) be done, and the only way I can access the rTune function is by using the Xfinity TV Remote app (which isn't even available for Windows) I will quit badgering you about this. Maybe you could take that up with "the team". I know this issue is probably becoming a pain in the neck, and I want to mention that I very much appreciate all your patience and efforts on our behalf.

Listings example.JPG

Frequent Visitor

I too, am a Windows user so cannot download any apps... Also, why am I being told I have to PAY for an upgrade to Cloud DVR if I already have the X1 services?  They are also telling me they need to send out a new box for $14.99 yet I cannot find ANY of that information on the website.  I miss the Manage My DVR option, if you upgrade your systems you need to also upgrade your customer's equipment/services to match.. AT NO CHARGE!!

Frequent Visitor

If you use Chrome, you can use my extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hide-tv-listings-htvl/emahdgfobodhknccbigjmnhpgihmmjbf

It restores the favorites functionality.  I used to use rTune as well.  If anyone can tell me how to send commands to the box, I will restore rTune.

Official Employee

mrstephenlee123 wrote:

Hello again ComcastDan. It seems we MAY still have a communication breakdown.The URL for the page I'm refering to was http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings, NOT the currently redirected site https://tv.xfinity.com/listings A few incarnations can still be found in the "Wayback Machine". This link ( https://web.archive.org/web/20151229133125/http://tvgo.xfinity.com/tv-listings ) will land you on an example of that page from 12/30/2014. Please note the "Watch on TV" option near the top of the page. This is the control we are missing. Would it maybe be possible to place a "Watch on TV" option in the TV Portal page that would allow us to control our X1 boxes with the rTune command? If you say that this can't (or won't) be done, and the only way I can access the rTune function is by using the Xfinity TV Remote app (which isn't even available for Windows) I will quit badgering you about this. Maybe you could take that up with "the team". I know this issue is probably becoming a pain in the neck, and I want to mention that I very much appreciate all your patience and efforts on our behalf.

Listings example.JPG

Thank you for the additional information. Currently, the only way to remotely tune your X1 or non-X1 set-top box is with the XFINITY TV Remote app. I will have to take this up with the technical team and share your feedback. I'm not aware of any short term plans to add that feature but understand the utility for you and others.

We appreciate all feedback - no pain in the neck at all!

-ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

EssOh wrote:

I too, am a Windows user so cannot download any apps... Also, why am I being told I have to PAY for an upgrade to Cloud DVR if I already have the X1 services?  They are also telling me they need to send out a new box for $14.99 yet I cannot find ANY of that information on the website.  I miss the Manage My DVR option, if you upgrade your systems you need to also upgrade your customer's equipment/services to match.. AT NO CHARGE!!

If you already have X1 with DVR there should be no additional charge for the Cloud DVR feature. You simply need to call and ask to have "the cloud DVR rate codes" added to your account. 

-ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.