New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

cannot watch showtime, hbo or starz omline

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

cannot watch showtime, hbo or starz omline

i'm subscribet to all three...showtimw, hbo and starz. when i first view by netwrok, all the premium channels have the orange key. i can click through, choose a show and an episode, but it hangs on the rating screen and will not play videos. i called in on Feb 2 and created a ticket and was told i would receive a call within 72

hours. it has now been 11 days and i still haven't heard anything. after a week, i called in again with the ticket number and was told my probalem had been escalated to enigneering and they would be calling. the person

who took my call even emailed them and they still haven't responded.

i have cleared cookies, tried different browsers and removed the comp from the devices list as well as uninstalling and reinstalling silverlight. still nothing. one of the more honest techs i spoke with said this

wasn't an isolated problem and that other users were experiencing it. prior to Feb 1, i had no problems and could play all videos. when does comcast/xfinity intend to remedy this?

Accepted Solution

Re: cannot watch showtime, hbo or starz online UPDATE

Just wanted to update this as I saw others were having the same problem and I spent a lot of time working on the solution for Firefox. Use MozBackup to back up all your Firefox settings, then create a new profile for Firefox. Restore everything from the backup EXCEPT GENERAL SETTINGS into the new profile. This will include your history, bookmarks, addons, etc. The new profile should work just fine to play videos on Comcast and will retain everything from your original profile.

Alternately, after creating the new profile, backup ONLY the general settings from the new profile. Do a restore to your original profile and replace the general settings with the new ones. This will replace any corrupted files and allow Firefox to play the videos. 

Mods, please mark this as resolved. 

View answer in context
Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: cannot watch showtime, hbo or starz omline

gigmode wrote:

i'm subscribet to all three...showtimw, hbo and starz. when i first view by netwrok, all the premium channels have the orange key. i can click through, choose a show and an episode, but it hangs on the rating screen and will not play videos. i called in on Feb 2 and created a ticket and was told i would receive a call within 72

hours. it has now been 11 days and i still haven't heard anything. after a week, i called in again with the ticket number and was told my probalem had been escalated to enigneering and they would be calling. the person

who took my call even emailed them and they still haven't responded.

i have cleared cookies, tried different browsers and removed the comp from the devices list as well as uninstalling and reinstalling silverlight. still nothing. one of the more honest techs i spoke with said this

wasn't an isolated problem and that other users were experiencing it. prior to Feb 1, i had no problems and could play all videos. when does comcast/xfinity intend to remedy this?

Are you still experiencing this issue? We were having some issues on our end around the time you posted but you should no longer be seeing orange keys.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

i only see the orange keys when i first view by networks. it is still hanging on the parental warning screen for the premium channels i mentioned. i tired setting parental warnings and settting the pin. when i enter the pin at the authorization screen, it then hangs on loading vido. i left it spinning and went to the store and it was still hung when i got back.

Official Employee

gigmode wrote:

i only see the orange keys when i first view by networks. it is still hanging on the parental warning screen for the premium channels i mentioned. i tired setting parental warnings and settting the pin. when i enter the pin at the authorization screen, it then hangs on loading vido. i left it spinning and went to the store and it was still hung when i got back.

Try using a stable version of Firefox or try using Google Chrome or Safari and see if you are having these issues. We are not fully compatible with beta versions of browsers because that are not 100% stable.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

okay, i installed the stable version of firefox (10.0.1) and no orange keys on the network view. i chose showtime and an episode of dexter i had started watching previous to the glitch. i got the option to resume or restart. either choice spins on the starting playback screen, so still no dice.

i prefer not to use google chrome as i have tried it in the past and it uses a huge amount of memory when i checked it in task manager. i am going to try reverting to an earlier version of firefox and will let you no if that works.

Frequent Visitor

here is an update. i went back to firefox 9.0 and had the same result. i reinstalled 10.0.1 and started in safe mode with all addons disbaled except silverlight. the ads at the beginning of the video will play, then i get a black box with a play arrow in the middle that does nothing. this is only on showtime, hbo and starz. regular channels such as ABC will play fine. i did some searching and it seems other people are also having this problem with box and arrow and not playing but ONLY ON PREMIUM channels. it has to be something on your end as there are many people having this problem.

Official Employee

gigmode wrote:

here is an update. i went back to firefox 9.0 and had the same result. i reinstalled 10.0.1 and started in safe mode with all addons disbaled except silverlight. the ads at the beginning of the video will play, then i get a black box with a play arrow in the middle that does nothing. this is only on showtime, hbo and starz. regular channels such as ABC will play fine. i did some searching and it seems other people are also having this problem with box and arrow and not playing but ONLY ON PREMIUM channels. it has to be something on your end as there are many people having this problem.

The black box with a play arrow is an Internet Explorer issue.

Flash videos are working for you but Silverlight videos are not.

Try completely uninstalling Silverlight then try re-installing it. Go here for step-by-step instructions:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/help/technical-support/xfinity-tv-player/#silverlight-reinstall

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

i'm not using IE, i'm using firefox. i unistalled and reinstalled silverlight and still getting the same thing. i whet to the config panel for siliverlight and DRM was already enabled. still plays the previews but gwwting the black box with the arrow. very frustrating.

Official Employee

gigmode wrote:

i'm not using IE, i'm using firefox. i unistalled and reinstalled silverlight and still getting the same thing. i whet to the config panel for siliverlight and DRM was already enabled. still plays the previews but gwwting the black box with the arrow. very frustrating.

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

My Device Information My Zip Code: 60614 My Cable Provider: Unknown My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: Unknown My operating system: Windows - undefined My web browser: Firefox 10 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.1 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: 071505000011 My Silverlight version: 5.0.61118.0 My flash version: 11.1 r102 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled
Official Employee

gigmode wrote:
My Device Information My Zip Code: 60614 My Cable Provider: Unknown My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: Unknown My operating system: Windows - undefined My web browser: Firefox 10 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.1 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: 071505000011 My Silverlight version: 5.0.61118.0 My flash version: 11.1 r102 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled

Can you please try watching videos in Safari and see if they work. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

i went with google chrome instead of safari and the videos will play. it's hogging a lot of memorey and cpu  though so i would like to go back to firefox when the problem is resolved.

thanks

Official Employee

gigmode wrote:

i went with google chrome instead of safari and the videos will play. it's hogging a lot of memorey and cpu  though so i would like to go back to firefox when the problem is resolved.

thanks

Since it works on Google Chrome, that means there is something conflicting between Silverlight and Firefox that is not allowing videos from playing.

Do you have the most up to date Service Pack installed for Windows XP? What ad blocking add-ons do you have installed?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Yes, XP pro is up to date. I'm currently checking on some Firefox forums to see if there are known issues with Silverlight. What's puzzling though is that it worked fine for a time then suddenly stopped working without any changes or upgrades to my system. I'll let you know if I find any information.

I'm running Adblock Plus but have it disabled while trying to solve this.

Official Employee

gigmode wrote:

Yes, XP pro is up to date. I'm currently checking on some Firefox forums to see if there are known issues with Silverlight. What's puzzling though is that it worked fine for a time then suddenly stopped working without any changes or upgrades to my system. I'll let you know if I find any information.

I'm running Adblock Plus but have it disabled while trying to solve this.

When you have been using older versions of Firefox, have you been uninstalling the other versions? There may be a Firefox file on your computer that is causing this whole mess.

Try completely removing all Firefox versions from your computer than try installing version 10 again. The clean uninstall will give you a fresh new start and should erase any files that are conflicting. I also recommenced backing up your bookmarks.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

I use revo uminstaller and always delete programs and their associated registry enttries and leftovert files before I reinstall. I completely removed Firefox 10 and reinstalled it. Comcast videos will still not play, but the test videos on the Microsoft Silverlight play fine. Here are the links I used to test.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ff728576

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ff728590

Frequent Visitor

Re: cannot watch showtime, hbo or starz online UPDATE

Just wanted to update this as I saw others were having the same problem and I spent a lot of time working on the solution for Firefox. Use MozBackup to back up all your Firefox settings, then create a new profile for Firefox. Restore everything from the backup EXCEPT GENERAL SETTINGS into the new profile. This will include your history, bookmarks, addons, etc. The new profile should work just fine to play videos on Comcast and will retain everything from your original profile.

Alternately, after creating the new profile, backup ONLY the general settings from the new profile. Do a restore to your original profile and replace the general settings with the new ones. This will replace any corrupted files and allow Firefox to play the videos. 

Mods, please mark this as resolved. 

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation