Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,806,942

members

72

online now

1,952,831

discussions

Top

Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

New Poster

Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

I am trying to get Xfinity working on a computer/TV.  When I make ANY selection, the browser starts up the program's page, and the commercials play.  After the commercials play, the player just sits there with a black background.  The button indicates that the thing is supposed to be playing, abd the "buffering" is green all the way across.

I am using the latest Firefox 9.01, and Flash is up to date.  My portable computer is able to play the programs with no trouble.  This computer/TV was once able to perform the task, but now seems to have lost the ability.  Thus there is probably some setting somewhere that got changed or corrupted.

I did try Internet Explorer v8, but that gets stuck "starting playback" and can't even get to the commercials.

I have switched off pop-up blockers, and went thru all the browser settings that I could find, but it seems that with both browsers having a problem, it probably resides elsewhere.

 

Ideas?

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

Hello,

You also need the microsoft player called silverlight. Do you have that loaded.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

Yes, the lkatest version was just loaded.  BTW, my portable does not have this, and it works without it.

I also just deleted all my devices  [three allowed] and that does not change the behavior.  And...  no new names show up in the xfinity device list;  even after testing with my portable successfully.

A little confusing.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

clear your cookies, clear your cache, update your silverlite player update your flash player, restart your computer and then try again.  Also dont use IE9 comcast has said there are compatibility issues.  If none of that works call comcast and make sure your account is set up correctly.

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play


211hl wrote:

Yes, the lkatest version was just loaded.  BTW, my portable does not have this, and it works without it.

I also just deleted all my devices  [three allowed] and that does not change the behavior.  And...  no new names show up in the xfinity device list;  even after testing with my portable successfully.

A little confusing.


Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

 

Please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

 

Also, video playback is currently only compatible on PCs, Macs, iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

I am 211hl;  I can't figure out how to log in without your site automatically logging me in as dc211.  Anyway...
Like I said, this used to work before, and I have no idea when we lost the web version of xfinity.  It happened quite a while ago, and I have only now come up with the time to deal with it.  And it is every single video you have to offer.  ANYTHING I select plays the commercials without a hitch, and then it stalls.  And Internet Explorer v8 will not even get to the commercials.  This says to me that the there is either some minor setting at the operating system level, or there is a problem with comcast recognizing that I am a valid user.


My Device Information

My Zip Code:
    Unknown
My Cable Provider:
    Unknown
My myDVR Manager Status:
    Unknown
My Set Top Box Names:
    Unknown
My Queue setup:
    False
Facebook Queue Syncing:
    false
Facebook Connect:
    False
My public IP address:
    68.81.64.171
My operating system:
    Windows - rv:9.0.1
My web browser:
    Firefox 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
My system type:
    Desktop computer or other device
My Move player version:
    071706000001
My Silverlight version:
    4.0.60831.0
My flash version:
    10.3 r183
Javascript:
    enabled
Cookies:
    enabled

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play


dc211 wrote:

I am 211hl;  I can't figure out how to log in without your site automatically logging me in as dc211.  Anyway...
Like I said, this used to work before, and I have no idea when we lost the web version of xfinity.  It happened quite a while ago, and I have only now come up with the time to deal with it.  And it is every single video you have to offer.  ANYTHING I select plays the commercials without a hitch, and then it stalls.  And Internet Explorer v8 will not even get to the commercials.  This says to me that the there is either some minor setting at the operating system level, or there is a problem with comcast recognizing that I am a valid user.


My Device Information

My Zip Code:
    Unknown
My Cable Provider:
    Unknown
My myDVR Manager Status:
    Unknown
My Set Top Box Names:
    Unknown
My Queue setup:
    False
Facebook Queue Syncing:
    false
Facebook Connect:
    False
My public IP address:
    68.81.64.171
My operating system:
    Windows - rv:9.0.1
My web browser:
    Firefox 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
My system type:
    Desktop computer or other device
My Move player version:
    071706000001
My Silverlight version:
    4.0.60831.0
My flash version:
    10.3 r183
Javascript:
    enabled
Cookies:
    enabled


Try uninstalling then reinstalling Microsoft Silverlight. Please go here for step-by-step instructions:

 

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/help/technical-support/xfinity-tv-player/#silverlight-reinstall

 

Let me know the results.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

I did try an uninstall of Silverlite, with no change.  I intend to try this again with a reboot and deletion of the data file.  As I said in a post above, I don't know what Silverlite does for this setup.  I don't have it on my XP portable, but I am able to play what I want.  What is the story here?

I will try my uninstall-reboot on Monday.

Thanx

New Poster

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

We're having the same issue on a laptop and it stated about two weeks ago. Commercials and channels like USA and NBC work fine, its our upper channels like Showtime and HBO that go to the black play screen of stagnation. I was chatting with two different techs last night and after neither could help and wanted antoher tech to take over we still have not resolved the issue. And yes, HBO and Showtime play both on my TV and my descktop as I was asked last night.

 

Has anyone found a solution other than dropping Xfinity?

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play


Scavenger13 wrote:

We're having the same issue on a laptop and it stated about two weeks ago. Commercials and channels like USA and NBC work fine, its our upper channels like Showtime and HBO that go to the black play screen of stagnation. I was chatting with two different techs last night and after neither could help and wanted antoher tech to take over we still have not resolved the issue. And yes, HBO and Showtime play both on my TV and my descktop as I was asked last night.

 

Has anyone found a solution other than dropping Xfinity?


Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

Before replying, read thye whole thread.

This is happening to me using firefox or IE.

My removal of silverlite made no difference.

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play


dc211 wrote:

Before replying, read thye whole thread.

This is happening to me using firefox or IE.

My removal of silverlite made no difference.


The solution above was for Scavenger13.

 

Do you have any anti-virus software installed? If so, please allow Xfinitytv.com to pass through your firewall and that your ad-blocking settings are not set to strict.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

I use Norton, and I have checked that the firewall is clear for XFinity.  This is the Comcast supplied package, which "I" would think Comcast would have an interest in being sure that default settings would be compatable with....Comcast.  I also have the same Norton on other systems that do not have this problem [and the settings are the same], as well as my above mentioned question about Silverlite.  Why can I view movies on my XP laptop which does not have Silverlite?  Perhaps Silverlite itself is the problem?

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play


dc211 wrote:

I use Norton, and I have checked that the firewall is clear for XFinity.  This is the Comcast supplied package, which "I" would think Comcast would have an interest in being sure that default settings would be compatable with....Comcast.  I also have the same Norton on other systems that do not have this problem [and the settings are the same], as well as my above mentioned question about Silverlite.  Why can I view movies on my XP laptop which does not have Silverlite?  Perhaps Silverlite itself is the problem?


What videos are you trying to watch?

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

Movies are all I am interested in.

Any movie as far as I can tell.

I think MAYBE I treied the "Simpsons" once and it didn't work.

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play


dc211 wrote:

Movies are all I am interested in.

Any movie as far as I can tell.

I think MAYBE I treied the "Simpsons" once and it didn't work.


Can you please be more specific like the names of the movies you are trying to watch? Just a few examples.

 

Our site uses many different technologies from many different providers so I would like to test the exact movies you are interested in watching.

 

Any additional information will be appreciated.

 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

Same problem with me. Nothing works except the commercials. It was fine about a year ago and I am unable to view anything now. I finally called Comcast and they created a ticket to help.

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

Any fix to this yet besides not using IE9? I've been having this issue for weeks and just quit using xfinity on my PC. Yep, uninstalled, installed and everything I could come up with... no good. I get a lock-up/freeze if I right click on silverlight and my security (from comcast by the way) asks for the OK... fustrated.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

I have been trying to watch Royal Pains on computer. Stops after first comercial, on all episodes.

 

Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

Interesting..

Even though you've replied to a 3 yr old thread, I checked out the ONLINE viewing.  

Using Chrome browser , and this link:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Royal-Pains/5530624537550398112/465447491662/Playing-Doctor/video...

 

 I am watching the current episode of Royal Pains. There are no "commercial breaks", only slight pauses where the commercials would have been.   

 

I'm using a PC, not a laptop or tablet or any other setup. Chrome is up to date, and I'm able to view the same through my Win 7, IE11 browser. Both have the current version of Flash.

ciao, bj

New Poster

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

Tried the link did not work -same thing plays until first comercial then freezes.

Do not have Chrome using pc with windows 7. Other programs work fine.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity will not play the show after the commercials play

I was able to watch on kindle.  Must be blockers on my computer. Don't know why only on one show. Shut off blockers and still didn't work. O well!