Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,873,784

members

1,508

online

29,043

topics

Top

Xfinity tv portal & Data cap

Regular Visitor

Xfinity tv portal & Data cap

I hit the data cap for the first time in 10+ years being a comcast customer and used up my first courtesy month. I don't have a TV but I watch everything through https://tv.xfinity.com/ on 4k monitors with 2 users in the house. I'm told there is a way to make it so watching through xfinity TV wont count towards your data cap, could someone explain to me how I would achieve this on a desktop?

 

Before someone says you shouldn't hit the data cap just using that, keep in mind I am using 4k with 2 different users...as well as downloaded some games which are 50GB a pop...I also know you offer a 50$ data free cap but I'd be better off switching to hulu or youtube...

 

So could anyone help out? I do have 1 more courtesy month and unless I replicate my activity this month I doubt I'll hit it again, but better safe than sorry. (and yes I do have data notifications enabled).

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity tv portal & Data cap


@Stevetrebac wrote:

I hit the data cap for the first time in 10+ years being a comcast customer and used up my first courtesy month. I don't have a TV but I watch everything through https://tv.xfinity.com/ on 4k monitors with 2 users in the house. I'm told there is a way to make it so watching through xfinity TV wont count towards your data cap, could someone explain to me how I would achieve this on a desktop?

 

Before someone says you shouldn't hit the data cap just using that, keep in mind I am using 4k with 2 different users...as well as downloaded some games which are 50GB a pop...I also know you offer a 50$ data free cap but I'd be better off switching to hulu or youtube...

 

So could anyone help out? I do have 1 more courtesy month and unless I replicate my activity this month I doubt I'll hit it again, but better safe than sorry. (and yes I do have data notifications enabled).


If your on your comcast home network and don't stream tvgo channels, none of the data used by the streaming portal website counts as data

 

Do the Xfinity Stream app or portal use data?
When connected to your in-home Xfinity network, video programming is delivered to the Xfinity Stream app and portal over Comcast's cable system, not over the Internet - just like all of the Xfinity programming delivered to your TV. Therefore, using the Xfinity Stream app or portal in your home will not use Xfinity Internet and will not count towards any Xfinity Internet data usage plan that may apply.

 

Source: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-go-app-retirement

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity tv portal & Data cap

Yes I'm on my home network but its still counting data that I watch through the portal website. 800GB used through windows, 200GB roughly from playstation. Granted 800 isn't all from xfinity but I know its more than 0...

 

Also according to this:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan

 

xfinity.com/stream uses data. So what am I missing here?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity tv portal & Data cap


@Stevetrebac wrote:

Yes I'm on my home network but its still counting data that I watch through the portal website. 800GB used through windows, 200GB roughly from playstation. Granted 800 isn't all from xfinity but I know its more than 0...

 

Also according to this:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan

 

xfinity.com/stream uses data. So what am I missing here?


Sorry, but if your account is setup properly and you don't stream tvgo channels, the portal streaming will not count. If it did, a lot of people would be complaining and theres not.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity tv portal & Data cap


@Stevetrebac wrote:

Yes I'm on my home network but its still counting data that I watch through the portal website. 800GB used through windows, 200GB roughly from playstation. Granted 800 isn't all from xfinity but I know its more than 0...

 

Also according to this:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan

 

xfinity.com/stream uses data. So what am I missing here?


Read comcastDan's posts in this thread https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/xFinity-Stream-TV-Website-and-Apps-now-count-to...

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity tv portal & Data cap

Well I spoke to customer support through the phone and they said streaming through the website online does count towards your data cap...so no need to act like a troll...and how many people stream 4k on 2 devices? Yeah I doubt you even know how much data 4k pulls in without googling? Next time try problem solving as your "badge" implies instead of copying and pasting.

 

Thanks for nothing.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity tv portal & Data cap


@Stevetrebac wrote:

Well I spoke to customer support through the phone and they said streaming through the website online does count towards your data cap...so no need to act like a troll...and how many people stream 4k on 2 devices? Yeah I doubt you even know how much data 4k pulls in without googling? Next time try problem solving as your "badge" implies instead of copying and pasting.

 

Thanks for nothing.


Soon you'll learn not to believe customer support . . .

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 185 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation