members

online now

discussions

Xfinity remote app returns error message

New Poster

DVR Manager is available in your area. However, we are 
unable to detect a compatible DVR in your household.

Have been using apps successfully previously with same model DVR/Cable box RGN200N.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity remote app returns error message

I am currently having the same issue and have a hunch that it has something to do with mac addresses (at least the first 3 octets, manufacturer code) that are not being recognized as supported by the comcast application backend.

My hypothesis is based on #1. My "Scientific Atlanta cable boxes (no dvr) SARN150N are compatible with the apps with MAC addresses 68:EE:96:XX:XX:XX -- recognized by comcast as Manufacturer "SA" via: (remote diagnostic page http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/rh). My SARN200N DVR however, with MAC BC:C8:10:XX:XX:XX registered to CISCO (cisco bought SA) is listed as "[ No Device Model Available ]" under the same field.

#2 The firmware version for SARN200N -- S26.1211.r-24 with FW 8.14.21.1; versions for the SARN150N -- S26p1.1211.r-10 with FW 8.14.21.1 -- both same firmware (not application update as features are different) but hw/sw interface firmware (this generally indicates compatiblity of applications based on hardware platforms as a matching fw version usually means same libraries, kernel modules, and hardware arcitecture; or they may just be very poor at versioning firmware (shame on you developers))

#3 MAC addresses are commonly used as a method of determining compatiblity with embedded hardware (On-star anyone?)

I hope that an engineer reads this and can enlighten me with a yay or neh and if by chance I am correct, please fix the issue and let us know.

New Poster

Just an update. I spoke with an engineer at Comcast last night and he confirmed that this was indeed the issue and is working with the engineers on their backend to make sure that these devices are recognized in my area as supported. I was called back again ~14 hours later letting me know that the change was made and telling me to reset my cable box and try again in 24hrs. I hope this helps and will comment back if this fixes the issue.

Regards,

Frustrated engineer

Problem Solver

Jetpack87:

Although I don't personally have this problem and I honestly don't understand most of your explanation, I appreciate you taking time to follow up and share your results.  I've seen many similar questions; your's is the first with a potential solution.  I'm sure this will benefit future visitors.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation