Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity causes my computer to snap off

New Poster

Xfinity causes my computer to snap off

My babysitter has an Xfinity account. I allow him to watch shows when the baby is sleeping. I witnessed the problem today. In the middle of the show the whole computer snaps off.  We use this computer to watch DVDs all of the time, so I know it is not the computer. This is a 1-yr-old computer with a fast processor and lots of memory. I uninstalled Silverlight to see if that would help - it does not. I'm thinking there is a setting somewhere that needs to be changed or there is incompatible somewhere - not sure.

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity causes my computer to snap off

when you say snaps off do you mean if they are watching a video the computer totally shuts down.  I have never heard of that.  There is nothing that should do that.

New Poster

Yes - it completely shuts off after being watched for 30 minutes. This doesn't happen when we watch DVD's on the computer or movies we downloan or any other streaming show or music, just Xfinity.  We uninstalled silverlight and reinstalled it - no improvement.  Still only a 30-minute windo per show before the computer turns off and then when we reboot it asks if we want to start in safe mode because the computer was shut down improperly.

Official Employee

Xfinitytvcrash wrote:

Yes - it completely shuts off after being watched for 30 minutes. This doesn't happen when we watch DVD's on the computer or movies we downloan or any other streaming show or music, just Xfinity.  We uninstalled silverlight and reinstalled it - no improvement.  Still only a 30-minute windo per show before the computer turns off and then when we reboot it asks if we want to start in safe mode because the computer was shut down improperly.

Your computer shutting off is not related to XFINITYTV.com. If you say that it is happening only when your watching XFINITY videos, then it might be a coincidence.

Do you turn off your computer after every use?

Do any pop-ups appear on-screen asking you to restart your computer to install important updates?

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

same thing happenes to me. i use computer for online games, netflix, and dvds and never had a problem. but if i use comcast after 30 minutes my computer snaps off and reboots. it definately is due to comcast. i tested this on other people computers with the same result.

New Poster

It happens to me often.  While I am streaming from Xfinity, my pc shuts down completely.  One time I noticed my laptop had gotten unusually hot, so I didn't attribute it to Xfinity.  When it happened again, I assumed it was due to Windows Update. 

When it happens, I go directly to the Network's online programming, Hulu, Amazon, or I watch television On Demand.  My laptop has never shut down while streaming from any other site. 

So when it happened again a few minutes ago, I decided to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue.  It is an Xfinity problem.

New Poster

This has been happening to me recently also and yes it is ONLY when I watch a video but it's not after I watch for 30 mins, it's when the video completes my computer shuts down with a flashing blue screen saying (top line only) There has been an error that occured shutting down to protect... Thats all i get to read. then restarts and its fine. And it is only hit and miss on the videos. But I play an MMORPG online and can play all day with nothing happening until I watched a video on xfinity. And before you say maybe it's because you played all day on it. It happens when I have not had my computer on all day either

New Poster

I have another clue for you  Comcast Joe.  It just happened again. 

So I peered back at my History, and it's always when I watch Top Chef Masters (BRAVO), and Food Network programming.  The bar appears to be 1/3 in length, so it's less than 30 minutes into the program.

New Poster

Well, this is happening for me too. Exactly the same issue, so what is the answer?

New Poster

It shuts off my 2 year old laptop after 30 or 40 minutes. I thought it was just overheating, but keeping it elevated doesn't do anything. I've even used a laptop fan stand. I can stream from the crappiest sites, and this doesn't happen. I also play games on steam and edit pics in photoshop for hours on end without it shutting down. My virus protection has caught malware attempting to download from xfinity before. I don't know what this is, but it isn't overheating and if it's some sort of virus, it's pretty new.