Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity app not controlling tv

Contributor

Xfinity app not controlling tv

I see my tv in the xfinity app on my iPhone 4s and iPad 3. My cable box is the Motorola dch3200, when I try to change the channel nothing happens. When I go to settings and click "test", nothing happens. I have tried uninstalling the app but it hasn't done anything. Any ideas on how I can get this functionality to work?
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity app not controlling tv

It would be nice to have a solution to this problem from Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

ok so when your in the app you need to bring up the channel listings, when your in there and you press the channel to change it what happens.  Do you get an error?

Contributor

No error. I try to change the channel in the app and it makes a sound and flashes a little graphic, but then nothing happens on the tv.
Frequent Visitor

I get the "Sorry, error occured during this request".  I've tried:

- Clearing history

- Removing device, reinstalling app and rebooting the iPad.

- Testing the cable box and get the Error Code 404.

- Used Comcast's recommended cable lineup as well as the one found for my zip code.

I've been working on this daily for over a week and has never worked.

Silver Problem Solver

are you able to set recordings on your dvr from your ipad?  If that does not work your not going to be able to change the channel. 

have you gone to the tv tab top of this page.  Then to my tv, then on the bottom right corner of the screen is a little wheel, if you click there it brings up all your devices.  You can only have 3 listed there.  You could try deleting them and then resyching them to see if that will work.

You can also in your box guide go to set up there and to remote access set up and delete that set up and re synch there.

Also don't use IE9 clear cache cookies, also clear history in the app itself.

Contributor

rog286713 wrote:

are you able to set recordings on your dvr from your ipad?  If that does not work your not going to be able to change the channel. 

have you gone to the tv tab top of this page.  Then to my tv, then on the bottom right corner of the screen is a little wheel, if you click there it brings up all your devices.  You can only have 3 listed there.  You could try deleting them and then resyching them to see if that will work.

You can also in your box guide go to set up there and to remote access set up and delete that set up and re synch there.

Also don't use IE9 clear cache cookies, also clear history in the app itself.

I don't have a DVR, so can't set recordings...I see that "TV Control" was set to off--could this be why the iPad channel changing wasn't working? There wasn't a place to set that to yes anywhere in the iPad so maybe I missed this step...

Silver Problem Solver

in the app, when you go to settings, tv names, do you see your tv listed there?  if you do click the name of the tv and make sure under active it says yes.  Also clilck test tv to see if you get a message that goes to your tv.  I just went to manage cable boxes and in there it says change channels and there are two radio buttons yes and no, if those are greyed out for you that probably means that box is some how not configured to have that function.  I would try to remove the box and the devices and try to set it up again. 

Frequent Visitor

In my situation, both TVs are listed and had already made sure they are both active.  Hitting the Test button comes back with the same error.  I do not see an option for removing the box, only the device itself from the Comcast site?

Contributor

I don't get an error. Nothing happens! Does anyone have an ideas on hw to get this to work? Tried on both the iPad and the iPhone.
Contributor

Are there any other ideas? Can someone from comcast please chime in?

Silver Problem Solver

when you go to your box set up menu, do you see something called remote acces set up?  When you first set this up your device sends a signal to the tv you have to accept, did that ever happen? 

Sorry if I have already said this, but did you delete all your cookies, cache, history from within the app,  and go to settings on the phone or pad then to the app and clear all application data.  If you did all that I would delete the app, then do all the previous that I said again.  Then hard reset your tablet by holding down the power button and the home button until the unit restarts and then goes passed the apple.  Then go and download the app again.  and then try it.  if you have done all this and it still wont work,, I have nothing else.  It maybe something on comcasts end on your account and they would have to fix it.

Frequent Visitor

rog286713 wrote:

when you go to your box set up menu, do you see something called remote acces set up?  When you first set this up your device sends a signal to the tv you have to accept, did that ever happen? 

There is no remote access option available through my DCH3200 set up menu.

Contributor

Just as an update--Comcast Joe told me this might be solved by getting On Demand to work, but no dice. Nothing seems to work as comcast advertises. Which is unfortunate for sure.

Silver Problem Solver

Ok I just re-read this whole thread.  If you click the tv tab top of this page and then click the wheel bottom right of that page go to manage dvrs and cable boxes in there it says tv control on or off.  In one of your previous posts you said you were unable to click yes as its grayed out.  Is it still that way?  If it is that is the issue.  Now fixing it is another story.

New Poster

Rog - Thanks!  That fixed the problem for me.  Xfinity really should put that process in their FAQs to make it easier on theri customers.  Thanks again.

Silver Problem Solver

No Problem

New Poster

I had the same exact problem. When I clicked that little wheel, then manage devices I saw control tv was clicked to off. I clicked on and im back in business. Thanks Rog!!
Contributor

This ONLY started working for me this weekend. It was tied into the fact that On Demand was not working for me until this weekend. It could be that this was do to the free streampix weekend. Without On Demand working, my cable box had no IP address, and therefore the remote apps for the tablet and iphone did not work even though everything was configured correctly from my end.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation