Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity app compatibility with Sony Google TV internet player

New Poster

Xfinity app compatibility with Sony Google TV internet player

I just bought a Sony NSZ-GS8 Internet Player so I could get a browser on my big screen. The plan was to use the browser to access the comcast site and watch tv shows etc. as an alternative to On Demand. I can't watch directly as there is an issue with the embedded adobe flash player. the xfinity site does not seem to recognize the embedded version and I have no way of modifying it. I checked out the xfinity apps on the Play Store but they all get a message saying they are not compatible with the internet player.

any one have a work around or a suggestion? If I can't figure it out pretty soon - I will just return the player. the search and usability of On Demand over the television is just very lame. 

New Poster

Re: Xfinity app compatibility with Sony Google TV internet player

The issue lies in the Google TV itself. They suffer from a couple short comings.

First off, they have an antiquated version of Adobe Flash is incompatible with most devices necessitating the Adobe Flash viewer. This dubs most internet video browsing completely useless. 

Seconly, many apps equiped to run on Jelly Bean just simply do not work. This includes the Xfinity App.

The Adobe Flash issue has been plaguing us GTV owners for months. Google has yet to address it. Below is a link to a post where people have been trying to get the issue addressed:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/Lipqvb9NeW4

Warning to all, don't by a Google TV, they do not support their products.

Contributor

I had the NSZ-GS7 and returned it.  Picked up a Chromecast instead- much better.  I can cast Xfinity online to the TV, in addition to HBO GO, Hulu Plus, and Google Play movies, and I can also cast video loaded on my phone or tablet.  The capabilities of the Chromecast are growing, but Google TV seems dead.  And for $30, it was a no-brainer.

New Poster

I'll give them a go on my Logitech Revue when Xfinity is installed Tuesday... Your best bet would be to sideload the specific Comcast streaming apk's... I've gotten a lot of app's to work that way by installing them on my Note 2, backing them up, then uploading them to dropbox and importing them to my Google Tv via dropbox.

clarky that's stupid a.f. to say such a thing, like saying don't buy such and such android phone, because they don't support it.

Smartphones and Tv's are so complex now ya can do anything with them and install anything on it, so they'd have to know exactly what all every user has installed and is using in order to support you...

But there's plenty of support for Google Tv's, Logitech has a Revue forum and then there's plenty of forums like gtvhackers.org or whatever to get independent support from.

Also GTv is on it's last leg, summer this year google will be releasing a new and improved version with 4.5 Lollipop and calling it Android Tv instead

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation