online now

discussions

Xfinity X1 TV app is showing "Out of home" even though I'm on my home network

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 301 of 347 (2,963 Views)

Re: Xfinity X1 TV app is showing "Out of home" even though I'm on my home n

jbarnes80 wrote:

I am also having this issue.  On both wifi devices in my home as well as my desktop which is a wired ethernet connection.  Anyone have any possible fixes for this issue?

I am in Western Pennsylvania if that matters at all.

A few Users in a different Forum, stated that they had their DNS settings NOT using Comcast DNS servers ( OpenDNS, GoogleDNS) and that was causing the out-of-home issues.  Once they changed that to Comcast they were able to view without the error.  I'm not sure if this is the case, but if you are still experiencing issues, call into Comcast @ 1-800-266-2278 or 1-800-934-6489 adn speak with a CSR to get this elevated up to Tier2 Support.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Edited on
‎03-29-2016 12:14 AM

Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 302 of 347 (2,751 Views)

[ Edited ]

Comcast support is no help at all. They have no idea. After runaround and waiting days for a callback I figured it out on my own.

Here's how I fixed the issue. I had to reactivate the modem on the account (this is a owned modem, not comcast-isssued). You can do this at www.xfinity.com/activate

Worked perfectly on all remote devices after that.

Hope this helps

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 303 of 347 (2,740 Views)

Reactivating my modem worked for me.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 304 of 347 (2,702 Views)

Re-activating worked for me too. Thanks!

Posted by
Edited on
‎04-05-2016 10:43 PM

Contributor

Message 305 of 347 (2,643 Views)

Re: Xfinity X1 TV app is showing "Out of home" even though I'm on my home network

[ Edited ]

xtv.comcast.net on my computer says "available to watch in-home only". I am in home. Can't connect to any TV shows. Tech support couldn't help.

EDIT: Reactivating my modem at www.xfinity.com/activate did the trick.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 306 of 347 (2,613 Views)

Re: Xfinity X1 TV app is showing "Out of home" even though I'm on my home network

I am having the same issue with the TV app showing me as "Out of home" and unfortunately whenever I try and go to the xfinity.com/activate site, it says that I am already activated and there is no option to reactivate or anything like that. I also looked at the DNS of my home network and it is pointing to Comcast, not Google or anywhere else, so that shouldnt be the issue either. I have called the numbers that have been listed in this forum for Comcast support and was never able to get my ticket elevated...support was not very helpful... Is there any way that I can get my issue elevated via this forum?

I bought my own modem a few months back and updated the MAC and SN with Comcasts records a week or so ago hoping that would fix the issue, but it didnt...I also use my own router in bridge mode as well - not sure if that is causing an issue or makes my situation more unique...

Any help with solving the issue or getting my issue escalated would be GREATLY appreciated - thanks so much

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 307 of 347 (2,611 Views)

, do you see your modem listed on your account when you go to https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet?

If you are seeing a different, multiple, or no modem listed, then you probably need to call back into Comcast.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 308 of 347 (2,604 Views)

Thanks for the reply HowAboutThisOne, my new modem is showing up on the site. I did just now notice a discrepancy in the SN that they had entered in - they were missing the last digit and I just called and got customer service to update the digit, but still no dice with the app working...still says that I am not at home

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 309 of 347 (2,470 Views)

Well I am back to it not working and going through the activation does not seem to resolve the issue. My set up also has my own cable modem. I feel this issue is somehow related to that and of course Comcast does not care since we are not renting a modem from them.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 310 of 347 (2,467 Views)

Yup. And the monthly fee will be debited as usual.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 311 of 347 (2,458 Views)

I just wish I could figure out how to get my issue 'escalated'...Have heard quite a few people mention it on the forums and sometimes it helped them get their issue solved - I cannot get past the useless help desk tier...and mine still isnt working of course - have called about 20 times and have been hung up on accidentally about half that number.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 312 of 347 (2,455 Views)

Sorry I have to tell you Comcast doesn't care. They continue to purchase ad time that says you can access on any device and it's clearly not true. Comcast just doesn't care about false advertising their product is totally inferior and Comcast doesn't care they will continue to bill you and they know they have you. Of course support is off shore where they don't even have tv. So they only can give incorrect answers
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 313 of 347 (2,453 Views)

For disclosure my zip code is 48108. I have had the same problem and same guarantees for over 2 years. Comcast had no competition here so they know they have me handcuffed
Posted by
Administrator

Message 314 of 347 (2,392 Views)

Hello -- This is nationally known issue. We are creating a long term fix for this issue. 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 315 of 347 (2,381 Views)

Thanks for the info. Do you have an estimate for ETA for this long term fix?

Posted by
Administrator

Message 316 of 347 (2,361 Views)

Not yet. Best course of action of how to implement this fix is being discussed. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Edited on
‎04-29-2016 11:40 PM

Visitor

Message 317 of 347 (2,292 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you. This worked for me and still is. I've had to call a multitude of times regarding this issue. I'm using a comcast modem along with a Apple wireless base station. Thank you once again for sharing this tip.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 318 of 347 (2,156 Views)

Using the xfinity.com/activate link worked for me also.

I recently returned and replaced a Comcast issued Modem/Wifi gateway > activated the new modem over the phone > had the issue everyone is seeing in this thread. Xfinity TV app is recognizing the new modem.

Solution - After activating the modem over the phone > I used the earlier suggestion to activate the modem online > after doing that, everything is working again.

I spent over 1:45 minutes with several comcast techs, with no solution. They are unaware to search forums and find it easier sometimes to pass customers off to another department. They need a good knowledge base to reference.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 319 of 347 (1,986 Views)

I have this happen all the friggin time. IT's maddening. If it's not the "out of network" issue it's the "unable to stream error 500" or whatever error. 

I just resolved the out of network by signing out and signing back in/ re-registering the device. but you never know if the fix is going to work. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 320 of 347 (1,965 Views)

This is also happening to me.  I have used Comcast chat 3 times to get this fixed.  The first time the rep got it to work.  Then it stopped again the next day.  The second rep, as soon as I started to chat with them and it started working again.  The third time the rep said he was resetting something to the modem but that didn't work.  He said to wait an hour and it will be fixed.  That was 3 hours ago and it still doesn't work.  The odd thing is it works fine if I use the app on the iPhone but using it online on a computer it doesn't work.

I also tried the re-activate method but again, that didn't work.  I'm not sure what to do next.  It just doesn't work on the computers anymore.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 321 of 347 (1,889 Views)

this post is from 2014...well it's 2016 and i'm having that same problem on my home computer! what gives?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 322 of 347 (1,871 Views)

If you want a guess, mine is tthat there is a difference in your Comcast account and the one you are using to log into the app.  OR, there is an issue with your account's entitlements.  That would require a customer support rep's help.

poda wrote:

this post is from 2014...well it's 2016 and i'm having that same problem on my home computer! what gives?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 323 of 347 (1,859 Views)

I am getting this same error - using a Mac connected via router to comcast-owned modem in bridge mode.  Cannot watch because get message from tv.xfinity.com that says "Available to watch in-home only".  Of course, I am at home.  Worse, I had a security block on My Account on general www.xfinity.com site that also thought that I was not on the home network.  So what gives?  Comcast techs seem to be clueless.  I have reset modem, re-activated, cleared browser cookies and cache, etc.  No good.  Help

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 324 of 347 (1,853 Views)

I called last night (july 4th) and spoke to a tech. he restarted my modem (which came up and then restarted again on it's own). he saw that the modem did it once on it's own, had no explaination but afterwards wrote up a ticket. I checked while still on phone in and my On Demand (which had mysteriously said was unavailable) was back working, DVR programs were working (thought there was no problem accessing them before), but live TV was still giving me errors. I stayed online with a DVR program for about another hour and just as i was about to log off i tried live TV again...low it was working and it's still working today. Don't know what the real issue was but it's on now.

I did let the tech know that this problem has been in existence for a while. so hopefully if folk call they will recognize it and fix it post haste!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 325 of 347 (1,846 Views)

smh...and it's back.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 326 of 347 (1,836 Views)

I went so far as to have the modem swapped after a very bright tech had a bunch of issues with it from her end.  Things were a little dicey getting it started, but it finally came up.  And I tried tv.xfinity.com and WAS able to watch without the dreaded not at home message.  Once. But less than 5 minutes later, after logging out and going back in, no joy.  Again, "available to watch in-home only".  I can't believe that I have 2 bad modems, in exactly the same way, back to back.

I am conviced that this is not really a modem issue, but some sort of backend validation/provisioning/account configuration issue where tv.xfinity.com is not able to determine that I am on a native comcast cable connection.  No amount of modem resets, re-activation or hardware swapouts seems to be able to fix this.  One would think they'd have a handle on this given the  number of complaints.  Why can't the tv.xfinity.com website be able to read the IP address and see that it is my home network (after all it is their wire!), allowing me to watch live TV on my computer?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 327 of 347 (1,827 Views)

And another interesting datapoint - it seems to matter whether I log in with my email address vs. my username.  Sometimes I get in with username, but almost (or ever) never with my email address.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 328 of 347 (1,796 Views)

i agree. i wasnt having any problems for a very long spell. then it went out once and came back for a long time...now however it's just out again. this makes no sense whatsoever...and i tell the tech everytime "you have a 2yr old thread that's on going about this very problem" come on Comcast! 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 329 of 347 (1,778 Views)

poda wrote:

i agree. i wasnt having any problems for a very long spell. then it went out once and came back for a long time...now however it's just out again. this makes no sense whatsoever...and i tell the tech everytime "you have a 2yr old thread that's on going about this very problem" come on Comcast! 

Strange.  All my X1 apps are working; no "not on home network" message with my wifi connection.

Did you try signing off on the app and resigning on?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 330 of 347 (1,766 Views)

Tried signing off and back on many times.  It works one out of 10 times, most of the time it fails.  I try using both my username and email address, and sometimes one works and the other doesn't.  I also discovered that it fails MOST of the time with connecting using the iPad app as well.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 331 of 347 (1,759 Views)

I only use my comcast.net email address for the apps.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 332 of 347 (1,657 Views)

Re: Xfinity X1 TV app is showing "Out of home" even though I'm on my home network! HELP!

I am having this same issue, saying I am not on my home network when I am. Also my recordings always skip the first few mins. Can you help me?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 333 of 347 (1,617 Views)

poda wrote:

It goes back further than that.  The ealiest post I have seen online was dated 2012 (not sure if it was this forum or another one).

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 334 of 347 (1,614 Views)

ComcastZach wrote:

Hello -- This is nationally known issue. We are creating a long term fix for this issue. 

That is nice to hear except that in just skimming this post which is now 7 pages long and dates back to 2014, I found 2 instances of comcast employees stating that the problem had been fixed.  It is also the case that the earliest post I found on this complaint dates back to 2012.  (Not sure if it was this or another forum). 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 335 of 347 (1,605 Views)

Re: Xfinity X1 TV app is showing "Out of home" even though I'm on my home network! HELP!

well i'm posting again. got the direct number to Advance Repair and select internet. Seems like the problem is fixed, at least to a point i can watch and relaunch window or, browser to get it back. they will be sending someone out this wknd to check connections. so here is the number hope they can help...Oh and yes i asked for a credit!

1-888-824-8988

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 336 of 347 (1,590 Views)

I was able to watch it briefly when I went to change channels it froze my browser for a few minutes and then just played the adio of commercials to me.  After numerous tries it went back to the ussual error.

I would reccommend scrubbing this project completely and just leave it with the old interface.  This interface has not worked for 4 years.  It never will.  If it were possible for this system to be fixed it would have been done by now.  It is a failed experiment admitt that fact and drop it.  Just leave the old interface in place so we can at least get some channels.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 337 of 347 (1,461 Views)

@ComcastZach It has been 4 months now since you said you are creating a long term fix. Any update? I still cannot access my comcast content from my mobile devices or on my PC. This is getting to be pretty rediculous.

Posted by
Edited on
‎08-01-2016 12:55 AM

Frequent Visitor

Message 338 of 347 (1,443 Views)

[ Edited ]

@tzonkov and any one else who can use the info,

gosh so sorry you are still having that problem. they finally got mine right. i got a new router that seems to have cleared up the problem. been symptom free for at least the last half of the month(or day after my previous post)

give them a call at advance repair:  1-888-824-8988 or 1-855-484-1453

hope this helps

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 339 of 347 (1,420 Views)

tzonkov wrote:

@ComcastZach It has been 4 months now since you said you are creating a long term fix. Any update? I still cannot access my comcast content from my mobile devices or on my PC. This is getting to be pretty rediculous.

It has actually been 4 years and no fix in sight.  There is no long term solution and they have no intention nor do they have the ability to fix this problem.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 340 of 347 (1,417 Views)

If you are in cook county you could check out this link:

http://www.statesattorney.org/consumer_fraud.html

If not then check into your locas states attorney's office.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 341 of 347 (1,284 Views)

I am curious is this post visible to anyone who has not posted already in this thread?  I would not put it past comcast to make this thread dissapear for all but the posters who already have posted in it.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 342 of 347 (1,267 Views)

Someone mentioned in another thread that their account had the wrong MAC address.  Once the CSR updated it with the correct one that matched their gateway, it worked.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 343 of 347 (724 Views)

I'm in Houston Texas and I've tried everything. I've tried 2 different phones, 1 tablet and 2 different computers. I've connected my computer directly to the modem. Nothing. Restart modem, router, computers, nothing. I've cleared my cache, cookies, etc. Nothing. I've forced my DNS settings to comcast's servers. Nothing. I've cleared my DNS cache. Nothing. I've reactivated my internet modem. Nothing. I've verified my modem's MAC with xfinity customer support. Nothing. Customer support tried sending various "signals" to my modem which did.... nothing.

I think Comcast should give us an ongoing $10 per month discount until the problem is resolved. Maybe that will motivate them to fix this.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 344 of 347 (701 Views)

RobertUSA wrote:

I'm in Houston Texas and I've tried everything. I've tried 2 different phones, 1 tablet and 2 different computers. I've connected my computer directly to the modem. Nothing. Restart modem, router, computers, nothing. I've cleared my cache, cookies, etc. Nothing. I've forced my DNS settings to comcast's servers. Nothing. I've cleared my DNS cache. Nothing. I've reactivated my internet modem. Nothing. I've verified my modem's MAC with xfinity customer support. Nothing. Customer support tried sending various "signals" to my modem which did.... nothing.

I think Comcast should give us an ongoing $10 per month discount until the problem is resolved. Maybe that will motivate them to fix this.

I live in Houston.  It sounds like there is an issue with the way your account is set up.  Call Comcast and ask them to check the equipment that is assigned to your account.  Make sure the serial numbers match the physical boxes you have in your residence.

Do you live in an apartment?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 345 of 347 (689 Views)

Mine has been working and stable since sometime in September.  After about 4 calls I finally ended up with a person who was able to commit to reviewing the entire provision of my account.  They found several things wrong, including home address mappings, base internet account (my main login) setup, serial numbers, etc.  They went through it as if it was a brand new clean provisioning for a new customer and, after a day or so, it all seemed to work.  NOTE - my home phone and voicemail were messed up too.  If my experience is siginificant, it seems to me that many of these problems might be back office provisioning issues vs. anything with equipment.  I get the impression (and I could be wrong) that they have several departments provisioning new customers in piece parts, each working on only small portions of the setup (phone, internet, tv, billing, etc.).  It is easy for them to get out of sync with each other.  If you can get someone at a high enough support level to step back and take an overview look a everything regarding your account you might have some success.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 346 of 347 (670 Views)

No, I live in a house. Our Account was originally an Earthlink account from over 10 years ago and if I check the owner of my assigned IP it still shows Earthlink/Mindspring and not Comcast/Xfinity. I suspect this is the issue. I don't usually have any issues with my cable/internet beyond the occasional outage, and aside from the "In-Home" issue, I don't have any problems.

I was supposed to get a call from a "Tier 2 technician" today but surprise surprise... no call. I'll try calling them again tomorrow and see if I can get something going.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 347 of 347 (122 Views)

here we are in march, 2017 and this is STILL GOING ON???  i HAVE THIS ISSUE OR VARIATIONS OF IT ON A REGLAR BASIS, AND NO ONE KNOWS WHAT TO DO MUCH LESS HOW TO FIX IT,