Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity Wifi needed?

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Wifi needed?

Tried to use the app on my roku and got a message that it only works if I also have my internet provided by comcast?  Is that correct?  My home internet is from a different provider.

Accepted Solution

Re: Xfinity Wifi needed?

It's also all about $$$. Networks may want to allow it, but the provider will have to pay more $$$ to them and have other agreements. It's even possible that 'other provider' is still on an older agreement from before streaming became such a big deal.

View answer in context
Silver Problem Solver

If you are not on a Comcast Internet that is also your home account, you will be limited to TVGo channels. With the Roku app, it may not work at all as it is being designed to replace a cable box, so requires Comcast Internet and TV service.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Andy! Comcast is such a technological dinosaur.
Silver Problem Solver

It's not Comcast being a dinosaur. It's restrictions the media companies demand.

Frequent Visitor

Another national provider allows all live channels to be streamed on devices no matter where you are so it's hard to imagine that the media providers allow one but not the other.  anyway thanks, I've got my answer.  I guess I never realized there would be such a demand to stream stuff in your own home where you already have cable.

Silver Problem Solver

It's also all about $$$. Networks may want to allow it, but the provider will have to pay more $$$ to them and have other agreements. It's even possible that 'other provider' is still on an older agreement from before streaming became such a big deal.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation