Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity TV app stuck on "Adding device..." screen

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 32

Can install app, but after I put in email/username and password, it says "Adding device..." and blue circle spins, but never adds the device.

Anyone else experiencing this problem, and have any ideas on how to fix it?

Tried uninstalling/reinstalling app, clearing cache, restarting tablet, wifi on/off, etc...

Is there possibly an older version of this app somewhere that might work?

Android tablet, running KitKat 4.4.4

Thanks!

31 REPLIES
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2 of 32

I am experiencing the same problem with spinning and never finishing (never going to the page where you enter the device's name) when using Xfinity Android XfinityTV app.

TVGo works fine. Xfinity Wifi works fine. Xfinity Connect works fine... Only the XfinityTV app fails. Android 4.4.3. Off brand Tablet ("Dragon"), but every other web-based app works fine, including Chrome, etc. 

FYI: the login sequence clearly is connecting to the web and getting through the user name and password, so the problem isn't the web connection. FOr some reason, this app uses a different login validation...? Anyway: it fails on "Adding device...", never gets past that.

Help?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 32

Same here. Xfininty TV stuck  on adding device screen on ipad and hp pavilion laptop. Called Comcast and they say there are problems with the app and with the apps that should be available through the tv such as Pandora and Facebook etc.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 4 of 32

In addition to the above....the Xfinity TV app is still hanging on my iPad but on my PC it spins then tells me that the Cloud features aren't available in my area (the Gulf Coast). I have been assured by Comcast that those features ARE available in my region . That is also what I was told when they were convincing me to upgrade to the X1 service. Very confusing. Is anyone else in this region?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 5 of 32

I'm in Denver. And in my case, many other devices, including tablets and computers, access TV Go just fine. It's localized to the specific tablet, and I'm just hoping there's some work around possible or a pending update or Beta version that "adds device" different (or doesn't even bother; nothing else bothers to "add device", why is it so important for TV Go?)

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 32

TV Go and Xfinity TV are two different apps. TV Go works just fine on all my devices but is limited to the listed stations available to everyone and can be watched anywhere you happen to be. Xfinity TV, which is the one which is hanging or telling me it is not available in my area, allows you to stream and watch ALL the channels in your package minus a few limitations as long as you are on  your own wifi network.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 7 of 32

Oops my mistake, I did mean Xfinity TV, and yes I know they're two different apps. TV Go doesn't "add device" from what I recall, it just cranks right up. Or, if it does "add device" its done with doing so, because I have no problem with that. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 8 of 32

I am haveing the same problem on my new tablet running android 5.0 all the other apps work just fine and the TV app works on my cell phone with no problem. I hope that comcast tech suport sees this.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 32

Nothing has changed for me, but one thing I did learn that might be the culprit: the tablet that experiences this problem is an off-brand cheapo and I discovered that apparently they were too cheap to license a MAC address. Each time it connects to my WIFI network it has a new MAC address. I haven't tried to find what addresses it cycles through, but it changes every time. I did assign it a fixed IP as opposed to dynamic, which seemed to help with it connecting, but when I checked with the manufacturer that's just the way it is: tough noogies.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 10 of 32

SS-Arvada,

Thanks for that information, i, too am using a cheapo ("import") android tablet. Tried the Static IP address thing, still no luck...

I did get this response from an Xfinity rep:

"I'll have to research the chipset that particular device runs, but we've seen that some lower end Android devices are not compatible with the our video player. Due to the way Android is deployed, it's hard to work with every manufacturer so we try to focus on the core partners such as Samsung, LG, HTC, and Moto that a majority of our customers use according to our data."

But I know from internet searches that Samsung Galaxy Tab users have reported the same problem, and supposedly an app update was suppose to fix it for them. And that also doesn't explain why IOS users are havin problems.

The app works fine on my laptop, Samsung phone and my wife's iPad and iPhone. Weird.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 11 of 32

Okay, just received a Lenovo A10-70 tablet (running Kitkat 4.4.2) I bought off the 'bay. Wouldn't connect to WIFI using dynamic IP, had to manually assign IP thru my gateway. Went to Play Store, downloaded Xfinity TV app, it installed without a hitch, and was up and running, no error messages, nothing!

So methinks for some of us, the problems could be related to the chipset, or some restriction placed in the tablet (but the xfinity tv app was the ONLY app that didn't work, all others 100%!).

Still not sure why there are problems on the IOS version...

And maybe we can start a thread for which tablets the software does and does not work on, to help others going forward.

(Note, these Lenovo tablets seem reasonably priced, AND they have front speakers, great for movie/tv/video watching, but if you get one, it appears that you do NOT want to update the Android version, it causes problems!)

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 12 of 32

I have the same problem with Xfinity TV on my MAC desktop.  I get past the login and then I get the border spinning around xfinity and it says adding device.  Seems to be frozen.

Is there a fix to this.  This application worked just a week ago and I've never had problems before.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 13 of 32

I get the same on my iMac.  Using Safari on El Capitan, it just sits there on "Adding device".  Mine also worked a few weeks ago.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 14 of 32

I'm getting the same problem on my laptop. I updated flash and restarted and I'm still getting the spinning circle with "Adding Device". 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 15 of 32

I have a Mac Mini with El Capitan.  The web site tv.xfinity.com loads fine in Chrome, but in Safari I get the same problem as others in this forum - it gets stuck on "Adding Device".

Posted by
Visitor

Message 16 of 32

it seems that tv.xfinity.com only works well with windows, i am talking about tv on a browser, if i go on my desktop running ubuntu linux the same thing happens, the spinning circle adding device never ends, as soon as i swapped the hard drive to windows it comes on and plays tv no problem. this ppl of comcast or xfinity only know windoze

note: google chrome is my browser of choice for both operating systems, windoze and ubuntu (linux)

Posted by
Visitor

Message 17 of 32

When accessing tv.xfinity.com from my MacBook,  after entering my account name and password to login (again) the screen shows "now connecting to your entertainment experience", and cycles through highlighting three dots. Sometimes a screen is briefly presented that shows "time to name your device" and other unknown text but it is very brief and quickly replaced by the original login screen ("Watch anywhere, on any device, any time you like, etc"). I opened a ticket with Comcast 4 days ago, and in talking with Tier 3 technical support I was told there is a known "looping" problem. I don't use the online TV service often, but have had different problems in the past. I was not given a timeframe for a fix. It's interesting to think that a documented problem like this can go unresolved for a long time in an existing major service provider infrastructure!  

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 18 of 32

I'm having a related problem with accessing the "new" tv.xfinity.com" - since the roll-out in Sept. 2016, the application no longer seems to remember me or by laptop when accessing it from home.  Prior to Sept. 2016, the old Comcast  TV portal remembered my login credentials from day-to-day or week-to-week, so by clicking on my saved bookmark, I was automatically directed to my account (i.e., saved programs or watchlist) without needing to log-in.  Now, the application requires that I log-in every time that I access it from home, and also goes through the "Adding Device" routine, even though I use the same laptop from the same IP address every time.  This adds at least 10 minutes to the start-up time before I can actually watch a show.

How can I make the new application remember me and my laptop so as to avoid the wasted time?

Posted by
Visitor
Message 19 of 32

Hey, dd you ever find a solution for this?  I have the same problem and it's super annoying.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 20 of 32

Using an ad or Flash blocker of any stripe?  Kill it.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 21 of 32

Nancegh:   In regards to having to rename device over and over......Im having the same issue but they only tell me I cant ever dump cookies or it wont recognize me, I dont think thats the whole issue for me but whatever.   And not to dump cookies ever is really crazy in my book slows broswer.    I use the same pc all the time from home its odd.  Eventually you hit the sign on limit and it jams I think people say.  (device limit) even tho its same one.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 22 of 32

I have cookies saved this week and it freq' still has me name a device over and over even tho' its my home ip addy on on a desktop same one I always use same browser.  Its nuts other sites can do this why is this like this its odd.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 23 of 32

Same issues here ...stuck in limbo . Hit or miss if it is going to work. Also having trouble with one of my comcast email accounts. The rest of them are fine. So frustrating tis add device gimmick they are running now. It used to ask me to name the same device day after day, but now it is just stuck in a spinning h e double hockey sticks.  Had to clean up that naughty word before posting. Unbelievable.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 24 of 32

lencranston wrote:

Same issues here ...stuck in limbo . Hit or miss if it is going to work. Also having trouble with one of my comcast email accounts. The rest of them are fine. So frustrating tis add device gimmick they are running now. It used to ask me to name the same device day after day, but now it is just stuck in a spinning h e double hockey sticks.  Had to clean up that naughty word before posting. Unbelievable.

Sorry you're having trouble. Are you blocking or deleting cookies? You should only have to add each device one time. There should be no need to sign out for most users.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Visitor
Message 25 of 32

Fix:  Adding device hang

Edge works, Firefox works, Chrome not.  

Post recent Win 10 update problem began.  Perhaps future update will correct.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 26 of 32
Not blocking or deleting cookies. Now another issue for the past three weeks. Not able to see live tv or on demand line up. Just a blank gray screen with comcast logo in top left corner.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 27 of 32

Have the same problem when using the Chrome browser on a Mac.  Used to work.

Still works using Safari.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 28 of 32

THIS IS MY ADDRESS ACCORDING TO XFINITY......"577 S 300 W, Salt Lake City, UT 84101" when I search for my local channel line up..... I LIVE IN  FREAKIN MASSACHUSETTS !! It's no wonder this thing is F'd up !!!

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 29 of 32

Was having this annoying problem with Chrome.  Was able to fix it by going to Settings - Advanced - Cookies and disabling the "Block third party Cookies" option.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 30 of 32
I have the same issue on four different browsers. I've done everything I can do, and have the same results. I have changed nothing on my side of the fence. Everything was working perfectly prior to about 3 weeks ago, other than an issue with one of my email addresses that they have yet to fix after six months.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 31 of 32
Thank you for offering your fix though. It is more than Comcast has done.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 32 of 32

Ottogo wrote:

Was having this annoying problem with Chrome.  Was able to fix it by going to Settings - Advanced - Cookies and disabling the "Block third party Cookies" option.

Yes, cookies (including thrid party) are required by the streaming site. You can't have your browser delete cookies either. This was a problem when it first went live.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Live-TV-Channels-now-match-your-subscription/m-p...