Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity TV app freezes and stutters

Regular Visitor

Xfinity TV app freezes and stutters

I feel a little like I'm wasting my time asking this.

Xfinity TV app on iPad and iPhone freezes then crashes about every 5-10 minutes when watching either live or recorded programs.

Started happening after last app update. I'm now running Version 3.1.0.488 - Have already tried logging out all devices and rebooting x1 - removing and reinstalling app, multiple times.  Checking on iTunes reveals a 1 star rating because of this problem.

Is it correct to assume that an update to the app is the only solution to this problem?

Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity TV app freezes and stutters

Are you experiencing something similar to this video? It doesn't happen to all my recordings, just some on the Cloud DVR.

Regular Visitor

No, pixelation is not part of the problem I'm experiencing.  Video and sound just freeze. Occasionally, it will start up again after 2 or 3 seconds, however, most often it will stay frozen and require exiting the app.  The app appears to be trying to communicate with a server (license or key server?).  An offline message sometimes appears briefly and pauses playback.  Hitting play, will start the video again, but this is a pretty good indication that the app is going to hang.

The problem occurs most in the AM (attempting to watch the Today show, it freezes every few minutes. Watching the Tonight show it might be able to go 20 minutes.)  Makes no difference if it's a live or recorded program.

The problem does not occur when using a browser (Chrome or Safari).  Only happens with devices running the Xfinity Tv app.  As others have noted, it might be a buffering or latency problem.

New Poster

That's exactly my problem too, except the whole picture turns green when it pixelates and stutters.

New Poster

It's an issue. Happens on all my apple devices,air2,iPad Pro,6plus, just freezes after about ten minutes, and you have to force close it. It's happened through the last couple of updates, the iOS version is irrelevant, my air2 is still on 8.4, all others updated several times throughout the freezing. Streaming live is working most of the time, it's mostly on recorded

Admin1

Is anyone still having this issue? I had created a support ticket that is showing as resolved but wanted to check in to see if anyone is still seeing freezing issues. 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Visitor

Yes, stops, skips, starts over  and the famous green flash. It doesn't happen all the time but it seems to happen if you watch it within 24 hours of the taping. 

ComcastZach wrote:

Is anyone still having this issue? I had created a support ticket that is showing as resolved but wanted to check in to see if anyone is still seeing freezing issues. 

Problem Solver

Hello leaddog57,

I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. We will look into this matter for you and get back to you as soon as possible.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

New Poster

I constatly have an issue with this app. used to just freeze, but now it freezes and when it starts, it pixelates. I've tried everything to fix this issue, but nothing works.  Netflix, Amazon Prime and other apps work just fine! So frustrating!

Service Expert

Sounds like you have a bad connection to your home network.  Are you using a wifi connection?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Frequent Visitor

yes, and it happens in multiple wifi locations - home, away.  Never a problem with any other app.  Just when I watch my DVR on the app.

Visitor

I am having this problem too...

Open app, I get about 5 seconds and then it closes.

Now the problem is that I downloaded two episodes and can not watch them till they are returned...

I downloaded so that network should not be an issue...

Regular Contributor

I am running version version 3.6.0.574 of Xfinity TV app on all my Apple devices.  I downloaded this version from the App Store on June 3, 2016.  The app continues to work correctly on iPhone 5, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S Plus, and iPad Air 2.  However, on 12.9 inch iPad Pro, ever since the moment I downloaded this version, I have been having extreme stuttering of both sound and video when attempting to play recordings from cloud DVR.  IPad Pro has become completely unusable for playing back recordings from cloud.  I have tried absolutely everything including multiple reboots of XB3 Gateway, deleting and redownloading app from App Store, and even completely deleting everything from iPad Pro, bringing it up as a new iPad, and laboriously rebuilding everything from ground zero by hand.  Nothing has helped.  I have opened a ticket with Xfinity tier 3 support on this issue.  They have escalated ticket to software developers.  

Regular Visitor

yup same issue

see my only post for more info and a vid of the glitch

Contributor

did anyone get a solution to this problem? I uninstalled the Xfinity TV app and reinstalled it but still happening.

Service Expert

Windsurf wrote:

did anyone get a solution to this problem? I uninstalled the Xfinity TV app and reinstalled it but still happening.

My Xfinity TV app has no issues.  Could it be an issue with your device?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing freezing on video & sound random at home network or traveling. I've jumped thru the same hoops. About ready to call ATT
Frequent Visitor

Yes still having
Frequent Visitor

Yes
Regular Contributor

I still get the stuttering of the XFINITY TV app once in a while while playing recordings on iPhones or iPads.  I have an XB3 gateway which contains a dual band WIFI router, both a 2.4 ghz network and a 5.0 ghz network.  This problem only occurs when I am streaming a video while connected to the 5.0 ghz WIFI network.  If I temporarily halt playing the video, go to settings, connect to the 2.4 ghz WIFI network, and then resume playing the videó, it then plays with no problems whatsoever.  I know this sounds absolutely crazy and makes no sense whatsoever, but that is what happens.

Regular Contributor

Also, sometimes rebooting the gateway resolves the problem with `the 5.0 ghz network, but sometimes it does not.

Problem Solver

Bowmanal wrote:

I still get the stuttering of the XFINITY TV app once in a while while playing recordings on iPhones or iPads.  I have an XB3 gateway which contains a dual band WIFI router, both a 2.4 ghz network and a 5.0 ghz network.  This problem only occurs when I am streaming a video while connected to the 5.0 ghz WIFI network.  If I temporarily halt playing the video, go to settings, connect to the 2.4 ghz WIFI network, and then resume playing the videó, it then plays with no problems whatsoever.  I know this sounds absolutely crazy and makes no sense whatsoever, but that is what happens.

I wouldn't call that an app problem, but rather a problem with the gateway itself. The gateways are notoriously horrible for using them for anything other than a cable modem, putting them in bridge mode, and getting your own router. If you don't have phone service with Comcast, I wouldn't even bother renting the gateway from Comcast. Just buy your own modem.

I had to turn off the 5 ghz channel on my gateway because it couldn't even get a good signal 4 feet away from the gateway. I guess I could exchange mine again, but I just did that after my last one died. Really don't feel like dealing with the hassle.

Frequent Visitor

Same problem, started immediately after Xfinity upgraded the streaming to-go web page.  It happens randomly, every few seconds or minutes.  Minimizing or maximizing the web page usually fixes the problem until the next freeze.  One possibility is whatever change they made is so software bloated that it is putting a massive strain on my network connection and some piece in the hardware chain can't handle it (Whether that be the isp, network connection, router, my laptop, etc.).  The other of course, is that xfinity has a hardware problem or software bug on their end.  In either case we need to have the option to use the old method so that we can stream content again.  Why is this taking so long?  Are all our ridiculously high monthly cable bill fees going to the CEO and top managment's pocket's and only scraps are going to the engineers, or are they incompetent, or is it poor management decisions in releasing poorly tested software releases........What the H is it?

Regular Contributor

While using previous Comcast modems I did put them in bridge mode and passed through to a Linksys dual band router, and this worked well. Then I updated to a Linksys AC1950 router, but that had such horrible firmware problems and was losing network connections on either WIFI network so often that I had to take it back. For the last couple of months the XB3 gateway and XFINITY TV app have worked quite well for me except for only twice having a temporary problem with stuttering on the 5.0 ghz network. I have Comcast 150 Extreme tier internet service. I get blazingly fast download speeds of about 90 Mbps on the gateway's 2.4 ghz network and about 180 Mbps on the gateway's 5.0 ghz network. Just yesterday I downloaded a 4.4 GB movie from Comcast On Demand to my iPad Pro in 4 minutes using the XFINITY TV app.

New Poster

I can't take this any longer. I can't watch a live show without every 3seconds it freezes, it's beyond frustrating! Why am I paying for Xfinity when this happens?
New Poster

I repeatedly have a issue with the program freezing and skip ahead 5 or so minutes it doesn't matter if ive downloaded it or I'm watching from a recording this is only with the app both on my phone and on my iPad. At home the ever recording don't do that but if I try my apps @ home it still does when using the apps. Please help!

New Poster

I'm having the same issue it happens on All of my iOS devices I've followed and done everything everyone here has tried. No Luck reported it to comcast they are escalating it . Anyone els have a solution?

New Poster

not only does thiat happen on my iphone, it also is happening on their main page here when streaming.  it happens on all wifis so i think it's an issue on their end that they either cant or won't fix for whatever reason.  I personally think they dont want it working well becuase many channels don't have commericals forcing you to watch regular tv for the commercials. its 2017. this should not be an issue.

soohoolm wrote:

I'm having the same issue it happens on All of my iOS devices I've followed and done everything everyone here has tried. No Luck reported it to comcast they are escalating it . Anyone els have a solution?

New Poster

After years of issuezzzzzzz flash been force down our throats as a defacto monopoly, I think its time to say enough.

They keep on pushing flash products and flashy somehow became norm. If they left the choices to real developers

rather then popularity pedlers flash would have been on its third reincarnation by now!

Somebody, Please pull the plug on this reccurring nightmare...