Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity TV Go usage counts against data usage?

New Poster

Xfinity TV Go usage counts against data usage?

So, I'm "lucky enough" to be in one of the markets that has data usage thresholds (300GB per month). I was trying to figure out why we keep hitting the limit, since Comcast doesn't provide detail on how we're using it, only that we're hitting the max. 

I figured out that it's because we use the Xfinity TV Go app to watch video when we're home, but not in front of a TV. Over two days, our usage against the cap increased 18GB. I was looking forward to the release of the Xfinity TV app in my market, but now I don't think I'll be able to use it since it might count against that cap, too

I understand Netflix or Hulu counting against our cap, but shouldn't the use of Xfinity services and apps be exempted from it? 

Honestly, even without the Xfinity apps, 300GB a month is difficult for a connected family of four.

Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity TV Go usage counts against data usage?

Unfortunately according to the TV Go app FAQ's:

Will downloading content from the XFINITY TV Go app count towards my XFINITY Internet data usage threshold?
The content is downloaded over the Internet, so it is treated like all other Internet traffic.

If you are in a X1 market and you have X1 service you can use the Xfinity TV app, and this WILL NOT count toward your data usage, even if watching live, recorded, or OnDemand content.  Might be good enough reason to switch if you like watching shows on cloud devices.

Will live TV and/or On Demand streaming on X1 count against my XFINITY Internet data usage threshold?
No, live TV and On Demand streaming on X1 won’t count against your Internet data usage threshold. These features are not delivered over the Internet but through your in-home XFINITY network.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV Go usage counts against data usage?

Thanks. Unfortunately, the Xfinity TV app doesn't work in my area. Says coverage is limited. Will have to stop using TV Go for now, and continue looking at alternatives.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation