Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity TV App does not recognize me on my home wifi

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 51 of 84
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 52 of 84

I can access tvgo but it keeps going in and out.  However, I cannot even see my dvr or any saved recordings.  Now everything is out: cable, internet and telephone!  This happened on Friday between 6 and 7 pm.  No one can come out until MONDAY!!  I am able to connect my laptop to Xfinity wifi which I think supports my security system, but cannot connect ipad or iphone to it.  A supervisor promised that someone would call in 24 hrs.  Glad I didn't hold my breath!

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 53 of 84
I'm having that Same Issue when are you going to get around to it. It's Irritating and Cumbersome😞😟😧
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 54 of 84

JMorarty wrote:
I'm having that Same Issue when are you going to get around to it. It's Irritating and Cumbersome😞😟😧

Which issue are you having?   You did not quote from the post that states the issue and there have been "many" issues reported in this thread and not all were the same.

Are you receiving any error messages and if so, what are they?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 55 of 84
Same here xfinity tv app does not recognize me on home wifi
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 56 of 84

Asha1 wrote:
Same here xfinity tv app does not recognize me on home wifi

I'm sorry for your trouble. This typically happens when customers own their own modems and/or we don't have the modem's MAC address properly noted in our internal system. Please call us at 800-XFINITY to ensure your modem's MAC address is correct.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 57 of 84

I also have the Xfinity TV APP on my Galaxy S6 and now get the message "Available to watch in home only".  I called Xfinity last night and the explanation they gave me was that even tho I am an Xfinity subscriber, since my phone service and WiFi are provided by ATT, I won't be able to use the APP unless I switch to Xfinity.    That doesn't make any darn sense at all.....

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 58 of 84

Moe-squito wrote:

I also have the Xfinity TV APP on my Galaxy S6 and now get the message "Available to watch in home only".  I called Xfinity last night and the explanation they gave me was that even tho I am an Xfinity subscriber, since my phone service and WiFi are provided by ATT, I won't be able to use the APP unless I switch to Xfinity.    That doesn't make any darn sense at all.....

That's partly correct. You should be able to use the XFINITY TV app and website to watch up to nearly 200 live TV channels and thousands of On Demand choices. However, without XFINITY Internet service, there is no way for us to know when you are "in-home".  The rights to stream content in-home are entirely separate from the rights to stream it elsewhere. 

If you select the "Available out of home" filter from Live TV or On Demand, you should see a lot of content that can be watched and get rid of the "In Home Only" content.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 59 of 84

So what do I have to do at this point in order to watch any channels on the Xfinity TV App on my phone?  I noticed on the WiFi settings there is an additional one called xfinitywifi (Sign-in is required).  When I sign in with my Xfinity account info, it then says "Your Xfinity Internet Service is Not Active".  It then gives a phone number to subscribe.  If I subscribe, does that cost additional money than what I am already paying for my Xfinity cable service and how would that affect my computer since my internet service provider is already ATT?  I only want this service for my phone..........

Thank you

OK, here's a follow up.  When I was scrolling thru the LIVE TV channels, I discovered that most of them I could get to play but the ones that would not play and had the prompt "Available to watch in home only"  were basically the network TV channels.   Why is that?

In conclusion, I guess I really don't have the problem I thought I did as long as I just play the cable network channels.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 60 of 84

Moe-squito wrote:

So what do I have to do at this point in order to watch any channels on the Xfinity TV App on my phone?  I noticed on the WiFi settings there is an additional one called xfinitywifi (Sign-in is required).  When I sign in with my Xfinity account info, it then says "Your Xfinity Internet Service is Not Active".  It then gives a phone number to subscribe.  If I subscribe, does that cost additional money than what I am already paying for my Xfinity cable service and how would that affect my computer since my internet service provider is already ATT?  I only want this service for my phone..........

Thank you

OK, here's a follow up.  When I was scrolling thru the LIVE TV channels, I discovered that most of them I could get to play but the ones that would not play and had the prompt "Available to watch in home only"  were basically the network TV channels.   Why is that?

In conclusion, I guess I really don't have the problem I thought I did as long as I just play the cable network channels.

First, if you subscribe to Xfinity Internet service, it WILL increase your bill. That is telling Comcast you want to add Internet service to your account. So you would be be paying for both AT&T and Comcast Internet service.

Secondly, most of the network channels in a majority of the markets have different "rights" between streaming in home and streaming out of home. Because you are on a non Comcast Internet service provider, those channels must abide by the "out of home" rights, making them unavailable to you.

Lastly, because you are streaming on your device through your AT&T Internet service, you might want to be careful of your data usage if your AT&T Internet service has a data cap (especially DSL packages). Very easy to use a lot of data streaming video.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 61 of 84

Thanks for the information.   I'm not a smart phone junkie and only use it for phone calls and texting.  It's very rare that I use the Xfinity TV APP and it was this time that I noticed an anomly when I turned it on trying to access ABC when it turns out all the cable channels were readily available........Thanks again

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 62 of 84

Same problem here. The weird thing is it works for live news channels, but not the ones I want to watch. Xfinity TV Commercials are "alternative facts".

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 63 of 84

JoSchmo99 wrote:

Same problem here. The weird thing is it works for live news channels, but not the ones I want to watch. Xfinity TV Commercials are "alternative facts".

You can filter by "Available out of home" to see up to 200 live channels which can be viewed anywhere in the USA.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 64 of 84

So has this issue been fixed? Because I spent over an hour on the phone with Xfinity on this last night with no joy and in know other people who have been unable to have the issue resolved with multiple attempts and discussions with Comcast. It is not working either my iPad (Pro 9.7", latest updates all around) or my iPhone SE. I can watch live TV in my MacBook Pro through the XTV portal with no trouble. So it seems to me that Xfinity has an app issue that needs to be fixed.  It didn't seem from my conversations last night (the first 22 minutes of which were with a clueless guy said he had never used the app and who managed to break my internet just before passing me along to the app department and then I got passed around again and after 75 minutes on the phone I ran out of time and patience for more.)

SO if there is a fix, please pass it along to me and to the undertrained people who are the first to answer the phones at Comcast. 

Karen

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 65 of 84

Paloam wrote:

So has this issue been fixed? Because I spent over an hour on the phone with Xfinity on this last night with no joy and in know other people who have been unable to have the issue resolved with multiple attempts and discussions with Comcast. It is not working either my iPad (Pro 9.7", latest updates all around) or my iPhone SE. I can watch live TV in my MacBook Pro through the XTV portal with no trouble. So it seems to me that Xfinity has an app issue that needs to be fixed.  It didn't seem from my conversations last night (the first 22 minutes of which were with a clueless guy said he had never used the app and who managed to break my internet just before passing me along to the app department and then I got passed around again and after 75 minutes on the phone I ran out of time and patience for more.)

SO if there is a fix, please pass it along to me and to the undertrained people who are the first to answer the phones at Comcast. 

Karen

Hi Karen,

I'm sorry you are having such trouble. The most interesting part is that it is working on the portal but not with the mobile apps. They all get your in-home status from the same source so I'm curious what could be causing the issue.

Is your MacBook Pro connected to Wifi or hard-wired? Are your mobile devices connected to your actual in-home XFINITY network or, perhaps, the public XFINITY WiFi network?  Your actual in-home network is usually "HOME-XXXXX" by default. The public XFINITYWiFi network will never work as "in-home".

Mobile devices will always re-check if you are in-home upon network change so turning off/on WiFi is a quick way to force a new check.

Hope this helps get you up and running again!

-ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 66 of 84

After spending a couple of hours on the phone with three different Comcast support personnel, they figured out my issue -- my cable modem was not fully configurable for the latest Comcast/Xfinity system. I had an Arris TM502G for internet and phone (bought from eBay 4 years ago). That model "kind of" works -- some Xfinity TV channels worked, but most did not. The internet has always worked fine. But, the issue was related (in some way) to the ability of Comcast to recognize the modem's MAC address.

That said, tech support recommended I get a newer approved cable modem. For internet/telephony modems, there are only two options, so the choice was easy. I got a used Arris TM822G from eBay. It was easy to setup. It was automatically recognized and installed by the Comcast network. I did not have to call anyone to configure it. Now all Xfinity TV channels work great.

What I don't understand is why did it take so many calls and so long with support personnel to recognize that the simple problem was my outdated modem. Anyway, the new modem is working great, is noticeably faster and all online TV channels work now, without the "not on home wifi" messages.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 67 of 84

While these things might be part of the problem, they're not the solution. Bought a brand new, fully approved top speed modem. App worked for a day and a half, then suddenly while using the app getting the error that a program is available in-home only. Spent an hour the other day with a rep getting the new modem set up on the system so that shouldn't be the problem. Wifi works great with other devices so it's not a wifi problem. The app has been bug-ridden for years. How can this not have been fixed by now?!? Smiley Sad

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 68 of 84

So restarting the wifi has fixed the problem temporarily, but it shouldn't be necessary. :\ There was no problem with the wifi in the first place.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 69 of 84

Machaira wrote:

So restarting the wifi has fixed the problem temporarily, but it shouldn't be necessary. :\ There was no problem with the wifi in the first place.

I'm sorry your'e having trouble. No other app or website requires that you be on your home network to watch certain content. The XFINITY TV app and portal are part of your cable TV service and delivered over Comcast's managed network - not the Internet (unless you are watching "TV Go" content). You can filter by "Available out of home" to watch up to 200 live channels and 40,000 on demand choices.

Again, sorry you are having this difficulty.

-ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 70 of 84

So can you tell me why I'm having this problem? I've been asking for a solution for a couple of years. Smiley Sad

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 71 of 84

I spoke too soon..... IT DOESN'T WORK AGAIN !!!!

After several days of working just fine, I am now, once again, getting the stupid message, "To watch Channel ... you'll need to connect to your home WiFi."  

I AM ON MY HOME WIFI. Are you serious comcast/xfinity? Why is this so messed up? It can't be this hard to fix.  For the last 3 days it has not worked.

Why should I be paying such high subscription rates for something that only sometimes works?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 72 of 84

Now, for the past 8 hours, NO channels work. Seems to be a buffering problem. It is not my internet connection. If I try many channels, still get the message that I am not on my home wifi. About to give up and switch to some other service.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 73 of 84

I too am having a problem with TV viewing on my home computer (wired) and on my IOS devices.  When I try to view local stations, it says I need to be at home to view this content.  I am at home.  And for months I have been able to watch this content.  I use modem provided by comcast.  Wondering if there has been a system update or something like that which would newly cause an issue like this.  Argh.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 74 of 84

Tonight, for the first time, I've been unable to stream my channel lineup using the Xfinity Stream TV app on my iPhone 6 or iPad Air, and I cannot stream my channel lineup through the website either on my Macbook Pro. I AM connected to my home WiFi, but when I click on a channel in the app or on the site, the 'Watch' button is greyed out and above it in blue it says "Available to watch in-home only". This is the first time I've ever had this problem with the site or the app. Nothing has changed with my internet/settings and my internet is working fine otherwise. I'm using a Comcast issued modem, with my own router, which is what I've had the entire 6 years I've had Comcast. It's only been since this most recent update to the new platform that things stopped working.

I understand (and have used when traveling) that a limited number of channels are available by filtering "Available Out of Home", but as I'm currently sitting in my home right now, I was trying to stream an in-home only channel, which I haven't had a problem doing until tonight. Very frustrating.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 75 of 84

I discovered tonight that I have the exact same problem.  I was on the phone with tech support for nearly an hour and tech had no clue what is going on.  My ticket got escalated to the "Advanced Support Team".  I don't have the confidence that they will call me back.  I share your frustration!  Please share if you end up finding a solution.  I'll do the same if I find out first.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 76 of 84

I just started getting block from watching because it says I'm not on my home network. I am hard wired into Internet over power box. The other side of the power box is connected into the modem. This has worked fine for the past 12 months up until now.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 77 of 84
I'm having this same issue in March 2017. Any idea of how to get this fixed?
Posted by
New Poster

Message 78 of 84
I had the same issue. To fix it, I didn't just log out of the app - I deleted the app from all of my devices. I updated the app because there was a newer version. Then I re-downloaded it and logged in fresh, using my same passwords and same wi-fi. It works again.
Posted by
Administrator

Message 79 of 84
Posted by
Administrator

Message 80 of 84
Posted by
Administrator

Message 81 of 84
Posted by
New Poster

Message 82 of 84
I am having same issue on android format. I am home connected but app is not recognizing that.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 83 of 84

I got it to work by:

Go to Settings
Click Wi-Fi
In the right column, Click on xfinitywifi

In the right column, locate Client ID

Enter your username

Good Luck!!! Hope this works for you!!!

Posted by
New Poster
Message 84 of 84

Make sure you are connected to your home wifi and not xfinitywifi.