members

online now

discussions

Xfinity TV App does not recognize me on my home wifi

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 77 (14,109 Views)

Xfinity TV App does not recognize me on my home wifi

I have been using the Xfinity TV App for iPad, and iPhone and for some reason it will not recognize that I am connected to my home WiFi.  This is an ongoing problem.

I have spoken with Comcast and no one can give me the same answer about the issue, and no one has any potential resoution to the issue.

We have been through all the typical troubleshooting Reboot Network, Reboot Cable Modem, Delete and reinstall the apps, etc. to no avail.

I am now being told that it will be at least 72 hours befor Tier 2 resolves this issue, even though the 5 people at Comcast I spoke to over the last 24 hours told me I would have a call back this morning.  Needless to say there was no call from Comcast....

It is very annoying to get multiple answers about what is and is not supported.

We upgraded to the X1 platform and thus far have been less than enthusiastic about the stability of the platform.

Is anyone having similar issues and similar support experience?

Thanks

Robert

76 REPLIES
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 77 (14,098 Views)

Re: Xfinity TV App does not recognize me on my home wifi

Does the Xfinity TV app say you are "Out of Home" or is it just not connecting at all?  Your forum post is not specific enough.

If it is an "Out of Home" error, are you 100% sure you are connected to your personal home wifi network or the "Xfinity Wifi" network, which some of the newer gateways broadcast?

Are you able to connect to the XTV web portal from a computer?  If so, does it show you connected in home or "Out of Home"?  Can you connect a computer with a network cable directly to the gateway?  Does it show in home or "Out of Home"?

If it is still an "Out of Home" problem, go to https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet and ensure your cable modem matches what is displayed on your account, i.e. serial number and model number.  If these don't match then you need to call Comcast and let them know.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 3 of 77 (14,094 Views)

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Does the Xfinity TV app say you are "Out of Home" or is it just not connecting at all?  Your forum post is not specific enough.

If it is an "Out of Home" error, are you 100% sure you are connected to your personal home wifi network or the "Xfinity Wifi" network, which some of the newer gateways broadcast?

Are you able to connect to the XTV web portal from a computer?  If so, does it show you connected in home or "Out of Home"?  Can you connect a computer with a network cable directly to the gateway?  Does it show in home or "Out of Home"?

If it is still an "Out of Home" problem, go to https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet and ensure your cable modem matches what is displayed on your account, i.e. serial number and model number.  If these don't match then you need to call Comcast and let them know.

This is a known issue, our teams are aware and working on a fix. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 4 of 77 (14,074 Views)

Same issue here!  Have an ETA for the fix?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 5 of 77 (14,066 Views)

Having the saem problem.  Started after the update.  I can see and watch my recordings but cannot go to live TV channels

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 77 (14,062 Views)

Well ComcastChad....  

1.  I am connected with all 3 platforms (iPad, iPhone, and Laptop) to my local network via WiFi, and can surf the web, read email, run applications....  So, needless to say this is not a local network issue.  The issue is consistent across all 3 platforms whether using the app on iPad, and iPhone, and using a browswer via a laptop to the xtv.comcast page.....

2.  I own my own modem and wifi routing equipment, so I am not connecting to the xfinitywifi SSID since it does not exist here in my environment.....

3.  If this is a "known issue" then why do your first line support personnel (all 6 of them I have been tranferred to in the last 24 hours) have no knowledge of this issue?  Do you think it might be a good idea to let your first interface with your customers to have some vital information to provide to customers, or is it better to leave them in the dark as you do with us the customer?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 7 of 77 (14,054 Views)

It was I who suggested to you to check if you were connected to xfinitywifi SSID, not ComcastChad.

I run the Xfinity TV app on Android devices and they are not having issues connecting. I'm not sure if the iOS app is just having an issue referencing to what ComcastChad was talking about.  It is strange though that your connection to https://xtv.comcast.net/ doesn't work as well though.  I just tried mine and it connected fine.  That should be OS independent.  I'm not sure if the issue ComcastChad spoke of is local or national, but all I know is mine works fine in the Nashville market.  Not that that helps you.

You still haven't said what is your exact issue.  When on https://xtv.comcast.net/, do you not get a connection, or is it saying you are "Out of Home"?

rstout100 wrote:

Well ComcastChad....  

1.  I am connected with all 3 platforms (iPad, iPhone, and Laptop) to my local network via WiFi, and can surf the web, read email, run applications....  So, needless to say this is not a local network issue.  The issue is consistent across all 3 platforms whether using the app on iPad, and iPhone, and using a browswer via a laptop to the xtv.comcast page.....

2.  I own my own modem and wifi routing equipment, so I am not connecting to the xfinitywifi SSID since it does not exist here in my environment.....

3.  If this is a "known issue" then why do your first line support personnel (all 6 of them I have been tranferred to in the last 24 hours) have no knowledge of this issue?  Do you think it might be a good idea to let your first interface with your customers to have some vital information to provide to customers, or is it better to leave them in the dark as you do with us the customer?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 8 of 77 (14,052 Views)

Mine just came back and is working fine.  Hope everyone else's are fixed too!!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 77 (14,047 Views)

Apologies.....

The message is out of home.  Their cloud authentication system does not see me as connected to my "home" wifi.....

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 10 of 77 (14,039 Views)

Well, I guess that probably has to do with the issue that ComcastChad mentioned.  Hopefully it's back for you soon, like the other respondent stated.

I do agree with you why the phone support has no clue about these issues.  Makes for a waste of time calling in and getting the runaround.  I really think Comcast needs some sort of status page for all their apps, just like they do for their TV, Internet, and Phone service.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 11 of 77 (14,028 Views)

Thanks.

Several issues come to mind in terms of the support response...

As I mentioned providing first level support with the knowledge of known issues is one thing, but more troubling is the statements from the support teams that they will contact me when the issue is resovled is another.

My biggest beef with the support is that once the apps start working again, there is no communication about what the issue was, how it was resolved, and if it can be avoided in the future.  In other words, just because it starts working again, do we really know the problem was solved, or simply masked by some reset somewhere so that it can happen again.....

This in my mind is the biggest challenge that Comcast has in providing customers assurance that this was resolved.  I have no problem with someone telling me that there is a "bug" in the code and they will fix the bug in XX amount of time, or via a new update/release.  What I do have an issue with is getting no feedback about what was done to solve the problem....

R

Posted by
Visitor

Message 12 of 77 (14,014 Views)

Well it was working again around 3pm EST, but it stopped working again now.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 13 of 77 (13,809 Views)

i constantly get a black screen that tells me i am NOT on my home wifi network so I cannot watch a channel that is part of my channel package-on wired and wireless devices.  I have internet access when this happens, it is annoying, i have called about this numerous times and no one acknowledges that this is a common issue-in fact, I often here that they never heard of this, yet there are literally thousands of complaints about this in forums and on the internet.  What is going on. this is a really big deal to me since i changed from having six tv set top boxes with Verizon to Comcast specifically so I could watch live tv on my computers (laptop and desktops, wifi and ethernet) and my iphones and ipad.  The only thing I ever see here is that Comcast is aware of this and is working on it-going back over a year!!!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 14 of 77 (13,724 Views)

Hi all,

i have this exact problem on my iPad Air. I can connect via iPhone and laptop but never have been on my iPad. The only thing I can't do it watch live tv, it's greyed out. I definitely am on my own home network. It's a hidden one but I'm connected.

im still waiting for tier 2 to call me back. I haven't installed the latest iOS update yet but not sure that would matter?

does anyone have a fix yet?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 15 of 77 (13,500 Views)

I have the same issue.  They came out and replaced my modem but I still have the problem.  Mine is spotty some days it works fine and other days it doesn't recognize my home network.  Very frustrating indeed and they seem not to know how to fix it.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 16 of 77 (13,471 Views)

I'm having the same issue. The app says I'm not on my home wifi network but I know i am. There's been no OS updates. Did anyone ever find a fix with or without comcast's help?
Posted by
Visitor

Message 17 of 77 (13,469 Views)

No nothing has been communicated to us.  I work for a division of Comcast and I plan to contact the R&D team that deals with mobile applications.  Hopefully they will be able to tell me something.  Stay tuned I will post an update when I have something to share.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 18 of 77 (13,357 Views)

thank you! I opened a ticket with Comcast (tier one support did not fix it), but they've yet to call me back. Problem has not gone away on its own.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 19 of 77 (12,915 Views)

Same issue here!!

Xfinity TV app does not recognize my home wifi and thus I cannot watch my TV channels on my mobile devices even I was connected to my home wifi.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 20 of 77 (12,902 Views)

tall_costello wrote:

Same issue here!!

Xfinity TV app does not recognize my home wifi and thus I cannot watch my TV channels on my mobile devices even I was connected to my home wifi.

See this link for troubleshooting "out-of-home" error message:  http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/xfinity-tv-app-unable-to-connect/

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 21 of 77 (12,514 Views)

This is definitely a modem issue. I was on the phone for an hour yesterday to no avail. Tier one analysts were unable to get to the issue.  I'm not sure if they understood what I was talking about. This morning I unplugged my router/modem connected to my 5gz network and I could watch my channels.  not in home error message gone. Now I am not sure if this will be a permanent fix. I've seen it go back to the error before. Frustrating!!!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 22 of 77 (12,476 Views)

Still not working"out of home error" Comcast is clueless. I should get a refund on my incomplete service#####
Posted by
Visitor

Message 23 of 77 (12,447 Views)

You may also have a problem if your are using Comcast Business for internet instead of Xfinity Internet. Xfinity doesnt recognize Comcast Business internet.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 24 of 77 (11,636 Views)

When I click on the link above, the page will not load.  I cannot tell you how frstrating that is.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 25 of 77 (11,615 Views)

Disable the wifi on your phone and open the app. It will ask for the username and password. Log in. Close the app. Turn the wifi back on. 

For a pad/tablet you probably have to have data on it or tether your cell 3g/4g for it. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 26 of 77 (11,559 Views)

This is not only a known issue it has been an issue for at least 4 years.  There is no hope of them fixing it.  What they put you through they have been doing to everyone for 4 YEARS!   Comcast is too incompetent to fix the problem.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 27 of 77 (11,393 Views)

I would fire the engineers that wrote the app and, speaking as a software engineer myself, would be embarassed if I had worked on it. The app contradicts itself often by telling me I need to connect to my home wifi, then showing me that I'm already connected to it. 

xfinity tv app bug.jpg

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 28 of 77 (11,375 Views)

Just curious, which app are you showing here? On what OS?

If that is the Xfinity TV app, I don't get a screen like that on Android if I am not on my home network.  Could that be the Apple version. If so, that shows the inconsistences between the 2 OS's.

Also, maybe take a screenshot of the app rather than taking a photo with your phone.

Machaira wrote:

I would fire the engineers that wrote the app and, speaking as a software engineer myself, would be embarassed if I had worked on it. The app contradicts itself often by telling me I need to connect to my home wifi, then showing me that I'm already connected to it. 

xfinity tv app bug.jpg

Posted by
Contributor

Message 29 of 77 (11,359 Views)

New tv remote app today. Now I get a message , must be an Xfinity customer to log on. Access denied. We are on our home wifi. No problem before the update.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 30 of 77 (11,335 Views)

Midnight763 wrote:

New tv remote app today. Now I get a message , must be an Xfinity customer to log on. Access denied. We are on our home wifi. No problem before the update.

Are you certain you logged in with your default comcast.net userid/password?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 31 of 77 (11,332 Views)

I feel like my error might be cuased by the same problem. My tv.xfinity worked fine up untill yesterday when my modem went down for like 5 min. now i just keep getting this error or it just kickes me back to sign in screen now that i have reset my cookies.

xfinity error.png
xfinity error.png
Posted by
Contributor

Message 32 of 77 (11,308 Views)

Sorted. Xfinity confirmed something wrong. They must have fixed it. Tier 2 support passed it higher up. Glad it's working now.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 33 of 77 (9,866 Views)

been having the same problem.   why did they discontinue the excellent TVgo?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 34 of 77 (9,865 Views)

the weird thing is, I can watch SOME shows, and others, tell me I have to be at home.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 35 of 77 (9,858 Views)

I have the same problem it thinking I'm elsewhere when an home! And tv to go is only available halftime with station breaks. This service is real bad as the olden days we didn't stare at blank error screens. Paying for service you can't count on when using iPhone or ipads😡
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 36 of 77 (9,818 Views)

pmarylaird68 wrote:

been having the same problem.   why did they discontinue the excellent TVgo?

Did you see this thread?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/UPDATE-Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now...

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 37 of 77 (9,605 Views)

Yes, I'm having the same problem. Live tv was working fine until today. Now it won't recognize my home network from my computer or my tablet.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 38 of 77 (9,604 Views)

It says I'm out of home.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 39 of 77 (9,558 Views)

Is this the URL where you are getting the out of home message?

https://tv.xfinity.com/

I have an ethernet-connected Win7Pro PC and a wifi-connected iPad and neither one gives me a not on home network message.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 40 of 77 (9,461 Views)

This is happening to me too and I'm not even on a device like an ipad.  I am on my home computer (connected directly to modem) and it's reading me as if I'm not at home.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 41 of 77 (8,924 Views)

This just happend to me today.  I'm connected to the home network through an ethernet cable, and trying to stream on my windows PC.  It says I need to be connected to the home WiFi.  It was working fine last night.  But after I got home from work today and tried to stream live TV I get that error.  Anyone find a solution yet?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 42 of 77 (8,791 Views)

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 43 of 77 (8,780 Views)

kdang714 wrote:

This just happend to me today.  I'm connected to the home network through an ethernet cable, and trying to stream on my windows PC.  It says I need to be connected to the home WiFi.  It was working fine last night.  But after I got home from work today and tried to stream live TV I get that error.  Anyone find a solution yet?

What URL are you using on your PC?  This is the one I am using.  Maybe they are two different sources.

https://tv.xfinity.com/listings

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
Message 44 of 77 (8,619 Views)

Last night Friday 11:55pm modem rebooted several times.

since then cannot connect to any live tv channels other than tv go.

All online package channels say "available to watch in home only."

Hardwired 3 computers inhome same message.

Several errors in sb6141 modem log at 11:55pm.

I have rebooted modem and router 3x today.

Thursday update fixed all channels in web browser.

It removed channels not in my package and only listed mine - great i thought.

Now since Friday 11:55pm KEEPS wanting me to log in over and over.

Does not retain login or info that is in still correct in profile.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 45 of 77 (8,611 Views)

I Cannot Connect to Anything Other than tv go - Get It

Nothing changed in my home - but comcast

Posted by
Visitor
Message 46 of 77 (8,513 Views)

Checked this morning 11/13 no modem events in log.

All my channels have watch button as they should.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 47 of 77 (7,758 Views)

Same here. Very annoying.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 48 of 77 (7,736 Views)

TinyTinyTiny wrote:

Same here. Very annoying.

When I am using wifi with my smartphone, I have to use the Comcast SSID to be on my home network.  xfinitywifi is not the correct SSID.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
Message 49 of 77 (7,722 Views)

I have had the same issue . They put in the new cable box and as soon as the tech left, it stopped working and they will not send some one out for  4 days!  When I try to watch live tv on my computer, it says that I am not connected to my home wifi

Comcast is the pits I am looking at fios

Posted by
Visitor
Message 50 of 77 (7,278 Views)

I'm having the same issue.