Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

New Poster

Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I recently added Stream TV to my account because the sales rep told me that I would be able to watch on my TV without a cable box.  I have been able to download the Stream TV app to my phone, but when I look in the google play store on my Android TV, I can't find the app.  I have also looked for the app on my PS4 and Xbox 360 and have been unable to find it.  

I tried to cast from my phone to my TV, but the app tells me that those options are disabled.  

I put the APK file from my phone on to a USB stick and loaded it on my TV, but it crashes a few seconds after I load it.  

I only added the Stream TV service because the sales rep told me I could watch it on my Android TV without a cable box.  Since this is how the representative sold me this service as described, I assume that I must be doing something wrong. 

How do I make the Stream TV app work on my TV?  Is there a special link for Android TVs?
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

TheThirdStrike wrote:
I recently added Stream TV to my account because the sales rep told me that I would be able to watch on my TV without a cable box.  I have been able to download the Stream TV app to my phone, but when I look in the google play store on my Android TV, I can't find the app.  I have also looked for the app on my PS4 and Xbox 360 and have been unable to find it.  

I tried to cast from my phone to my TV, but the app tells me that those options are disabled.  

I put the APK file from my phone on to a USB stick and loaded it on my TV, but it crashes a few seconds after I load it.  

I only added the Stream TV service because the sales rep told me I could watch it on my Android TV without a cable box.  Since this is how the representative sold me this service as described, I assume that I must be doing something wrong. 

How do I make the Stream TV app work on my TV?  Is there a special link for Android TVs?

I'm sorry but the agent was incorrect - perhaps they were confused about Android mobile devices versus Android TV devices. There is an app for Roku which is in public beta.  Otherwise, you are limited to watching on mobile devices since AirPlay and Google Cast are restricted due to programmer rights.

You can, however, watch select programmer apps on Android TV by signing in with your Comcast username and password (e.g. HBO Go, I believe is supported).

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

This is more incorrect information as Comcast blocks the ability to sign into premium 3rd party subscription sites (HBO go, starz, Showtime anytime to list a few off the top of my head) with Android TV apps.
New Poster

To make matters worse, they don’t allow you to cast from the app. I just want to watch something in 1080P which I can do via the app. 

New Poster

You should probably inform your marketing department that we are unable to use Android devices. I, uselessly, bought an Android computer device specifically to watch Xfinity Stream after being told that all I needed to do was to hook a computer, on my home network, to my tv and I'd be all set. 

New Poster

I have had success casting to my Android TV from my laptop, but the Android app does not allow you to cast it from your phone or tablet. Also, I attempted visiting the Xfinity Stream website with Chrome browser in desktop mode on my TV, but it displayed a message stating that the Stream website is only compatible with Windows and Mac OS devices. So, that was a no-go.

So, your only option for successfully streaming to your TV, in my experience, is by casting from a Windows or Mac device. I read something at some point that someone had success rooting their Nvidia Shield TV and installing the TV Stream app, but I have not attempted rooting my Shield or my TV, so I cannot confirm that it works.

New Poster

I just got off the phone with Comcast and although there have been consistent complaints about the lack of third party streaming app support on Android TV, they're apparently "currently working on it." I find it hard to believe that they support Apple TV, Samsung TV, Roku TV, and Amazon Fire TV, yet the issue with Android TV is only because they haven't finished. There has to be a more logical and probably infuriating reason as to why they do not offer support for Android TV. It's ridiculous how all the large ISPs are listed except for Comcast, just another example of poor service. 

New Poster

I agree this is not fair, that we cannot enjoy xfinity stream, because you guys won't make a app for andriod tv boxes, or even apple boxes, how can we enjoy streaming cable we pay for already? sometimes i want to watch a certain show and cant even cast it, cant do nothing but watch it on the phone, this is 2017! we should have the app avalible to us 

Regular Visitor

I can't get the xfinity TV app to work on my android marshmallow. Works fine. On my other phone with marshmallow? I also had to install Netflix via apk file. Play store said. Phone was not compatible. It's android 6.0
New Poster

It’s not on fire tv or fire stick. I can only watch xfinity stream on my Apple device which by the way suks because I don’t want to be on my phone after work I just want to relax and watch tv but I can’t
Contributor

fmc08 wrote:

I just got off the phone with Comcast and although there have been consistent complaints about the lack of third party streaming app support on Android TV, they're apparently "currently working on it." I find it hard to believe that they support Apple TV, Samsung TV, Roku TV, and Amazon Fire TV, yet the issue with Android TV is only because they haven't finished. There has to be a more logical and probably infuriating reason as to why they do not offer support for Android TV. It's ridiculous how all the large ISPs are listed except for Comcast, just another example of poor service. 

They don't support Amazon Fire TV. Not that I have seen. I even tried side-loading the Xfinity Stream app on both the generation 2 Fire TV, and a 2017 Nvidia Shield TV, and the XFinity Stream app just crashes. The XFinity app is not available on the Google Play Store for the NVidia Shield TV, even though the Shield TV runs full Android 7.x, which is why I tried side loading it.

I also have not seen any support for Apple TV or Samsung TV. Only Roku. Android TV, as stated above is currently not supported, even when you try and side load.

In all my testing, and hopes to watch XFinity Stream TV on something other than my Android phone, Android tablet, or Roku, I have only been able to hook a PC to our TV with an HDMI cable and watch XFinity Stream TV via a web browser. However, even the newly supported Firefox browser on Amazon Fire TV will not run Stream TV. It simply redirects you to the Xfinity app on Amazon, which does not work on the Fire TV. The Xfinity Stream App on Amazon appears to only be for the Fire tablet.

Hope this helps others.

Official Employee

Hello all, the information that (DKPeppard) shared is correct. You cannot use our app (Xfinity Stream) to stream to your TV using a fire stick or mirror the screen on any device at this time. You can purchase a Tivo or Roku device to use our app to stream onto your TV if you don't want to rent a cable box from us. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I have Amazon Fire TV and have not been successful with it either. Over half of the network apps will allow you to sign in with a cable provider but Xfinity isn't listed as an option. Comcast doesn't want you streaming on a TV. Period. If they let us do that, then they can't charge us all for the boxes! Comcast needs to wake up and realize people are fed up with the money they are being charged unnecessarily. Streaming TV is everywhere. It's 2018, they need to evolve like all the other companies yet they are continually "working on it". Can't even stream via my tablet/phone that is connected by an hdmi to my TV anymore. We used to have that option but they blocked that over a year ago. Greed.. All it is.. pure and simple greed. Tried every way possible to get xfinity stream onto fire tv box, roku, and even checked into the Nvidia. No option to freely download directly from device and if sideloaded, it still doesn't work properly.
Official Employee

Hello guest87, I understand that you desire to view all of your TV subscriptions outside of the Xfinity stream app. We do listen to customer feedback, please click on this link and submit your request to our management team so that it can be considered.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon