Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Streaming Always Choppy

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Streaming Always Choppy

I'm exhausted with trying to read all the threads on this topic to try to glean a fix. I can stream everything known to man online with no issues EXCEPT this stupid Xfinity. Stop - Start- Stop - Start - Stall on the ads - Video choppy on the shows...UGH.

If ANYONE has any information that will actually help, I would certainly appreciate it. Here is my Device Information:

My Device Information My Zip Code: 37930 My Cable Provider: Comcast Knoxville CableCard Use Dac: false My Conroller ID: 130 My Map ID: 154 My Persona ID: 8149 My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Watchlist setup: true Facebook Watchlist Syncing: false Facebook Connect: false My public IP address: 2601:e:c500:5a6:ed57:6355:3dbc:22fe My operating system: Windows - rv:30.0 My web browser: Firefox 30 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Silverlight version: 5.1.30214.0 My Flash version: 14.0.0 Javascript: enabled Cookies: Enabled (2746 Bytes). Time Information My Clock Time: Mon Jun 30 2014 23:06:11 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time) Server Clock Time: Mon Jun 30 2014 23:06:11 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
My Account Information In Home Authenticated: false Primary Account: true Provider Codes: gt, fk, ep, eq, dm, dd, hb, eu, ey, ee, fm, fc, eh, gi, bw, jg, gf, bu, by, em, bs, at, bl, gd, fo, gr, iy, k, dg, dt, bn, bi, bj, ce, ez, dx, gk, fh, fd, do, fy, is, au, ew, b, go, dj, de, fa, ci, a, fx, gq, jf, cw, ge, ea, cb, jj, co, ir, gh, jc, dp, gg, gl, dh, en, fi, cd, cf, fb, cg, df, cu, c, fe, ex, ga, fw, fz, fn, ff, jm, fs, ct, cs, et, cv, gv, fr, db, dr, bm, jb, gm, er, fv, dy, bo, ft, bq, jk, je, dc, jl, da, im, iz, fq, fl, bv, el, di, fu, cx, dq, fg, fp, ds, eo, gx, es, gj, ev, gc, fj, cn, ch, gb, eg, cc, ji Internet Subscriber: true Cable TV Subscriber: true Voice Subscriber: true
Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity Streaming Always Choppy

Have you seen any behavior from your computer that indicates that you may have a virus or malware? Either of those things could cause that kind of problem. Things like browser tabs or windows opening by themselves, strange search results, unexplained browser crashes? I don't know what anti-virus you use but have you tried doing an in depth or detailed full system virus scan just to check? Have you tried using some free software like Spybot Search & Destroy or Malwarebytes to scan for things that most anti-virus software doesn't look for?

There's also a chance that it's not your computer or software, I can't find the thread but someone else who reported this kind of thing finally had a Comcast technician out and was told "Your signal strength is very low" and the tech replaced the wire from the pole to the house and the problem was solved.

- Norm

Frequent Visitor

I haven't seen any behavior to indicate a virus or malware and have also scanned for such. This ONLY happens when I stream Xfinity. I don't have any difficulty with any other streaming service. Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc all play beautifully. In addition, my computer is only a couple of months old, and not overloaded with lots of programs. Also, I would think if this was due to a "weak signal" or such, that it would be a problem with more than just xfinity streaming.

As soon as an xfinity streaming video begins, my cpu jumps to almost 100%. Nothing else comes close to using that much cpu on my computer.

As there are dozens and dozens of posts just like mine, it would seem that the issue is clearly on the Xfinity end. It is incredibly frustrating to pay for a service that is useless.

Regular Contributor

Hi QueenEBee:

Ok, so defiantly not a virus or malware and probably not a signal strength problem if you can stream from other sites without a problem.

Which web browser are you using? What's your system like i.e. CPU, Ram, video card, operating system?

I have a pretty high end system and generally I don't see excessive cpu usage by IE or FireFox when watching videos from the Xfinity web site, usually the Flash plugin in FireFox uses 4-7%. I suggest rather than Windows task manager that you try using Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx, if you are using FireFox then process explorer will be able to show you the FireFox plugin container and the detailed Flash processes and you should be able to see if Flash is what's hogging your CPU. One thing you can try is to check your Flash settings and see if you have hardware acceleration on or off and try and switch the setting, sometimes it will help and sometimes not but it's worth a try.

- Norm

Frequent Visitor

I generally use Firefox, although in an attempt to rectify this issue, I have also tried IE and Chrome. I have also tried the hardware acceleration both on and off -- I can't tell any difference.

My computer specs:

Processor Manufacturer:   AMD
Processor Type:   A-Series
Processor Model:   A6-5350M
Processor Speed:   2.90 GHz
Processor Core:   Dual-core (2 Core)
Cache:   1 MB
64-bit Processing:   Yes
Chipset Manufacturer:   AMD
Chipset Model:   A76M
Standard Memory:   4 GB
Hard Drive Capacity:   320 GB
Hard Drive RPM:   5400

Operating System:   Windows 7 Home Premium
Operating System Architecture:   64-bit

Regular Contributor

Hmmmmm, hard to tell, do you see high cpu usage when streaming from anyplace else? If so or if not, it's still a good idea to try Process Explorer to try and find which process or software is causing that, when you're in FireFox check under FireFox and you'll see the plugin container and the Flash Player is under that and see if it's Flash that's hogging your CPU or something else.

In your computer specs, you didn't mention what graphics card you have and what graphics card you have could definitely make a difference depending on how beefy the gpu is and if it supports video acceleration or if not then more work will be done in software by the driver than in the hardware so the cpu may have to work harder if video rendering can't be offloaded to the gpu. Have you tried updating the driver for your video card? That could help if rendering is being done by the video driver rather than in hardware by the gpu.

I'm sorry to say that I'm more of an Intel guy than an AMD guy as I've been disappointed by AMD systems I've built compared to Intel systems. So I'm not a good judge of AMD hardware and I can't tell if what you've got is good or not, I normally would not recommend a cpu that's under 3.2Ghz but it's hard to tell with AMD. Also when I build computers for home or office use I usually build them with 8GB of ram and Windows 7 will run on 4GB of ram but how well depending on what all you're running at any one time is another thing. Process Explorer will also show you graphs for CPU usage, Physical Memory, I/O and GPU usage which may or may not be helpful in trying to locate where the problem is.

My computer specs:

CPU: Intel i7-3820 3.6Ghz - quad core with hyper-threading

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth x79 Socket LGA 2011

Ram: 16GB

Hard drives: Western Digital Black Edition 7200 RPM 2TB X 2

Windows 8.1 with update 1

Graphics Card: Asus Geforce GTX 570

Corsair Closed loop liquid CPU cooler

Frequent Visitor

no offence to anyone. but really need xfinity response on this issue.

Regular Contributor

All video services that use Flash or Silverlight are choppy. The Xfinity online player is one of the worst. Comcast, leave the obsolete technology behind and move to HTML5 already. Netflix and Amazon in Chrome are smooth as butter.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation