members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Stream - PBS live and PBS recorded on a Comcast DVR

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

Xfinity Stream - PBS live and PBS recorded on a Comcast DVR

My Comcast service is in Houston, TX.

I'm watching Xfinity Stream on a Windows 10 PC using Chrome, Edge or Internet Explorer.  I also use Xfinity Stream on my iPhone.  Im sitting about 5 feet from my Comcast DVR which is in a different room of my house.

I'm a little behind on the status of broadcast network availibility on Xfinity Stream.  I recorded PBS News Hour on my Comcast DVR a couple of hours ago.  I don't see PBS on Xfinity Stream - either as a live broadcast or the PBS recording I made on my Comcast DVR a couple of hours ago.

Would someone be nice enough to bring me up to date on the status of Xfinity Stream capabilities.  I'm not able to find anything by Google-ing.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: Xfinity Stream - PBS live and PBS recorded on a Comcast DVR

The level-4 Comcast tech called me a few minutes ago.  He asked me to check my Xfinity Stream on my Windows 10 PC.  I checked and all of the live broadcast channels where available for viewing (ABC, NBC, CBC, Fox, PBS).  Also, the recordings for those channels were also available.  So, all is well.

The tech said that we may have not been using Xfinity Stream to view those channels for a while and we may have lost our "entitlements".  He thought it was odd that it took so long for the "entitlements" to be downloaded to my Comcast DVR.  

View answer in context
Bronze Problem Solver

truerock2 wrote:

My Comcast service is in Houston, TX.

I'm watching Xfinity Stream on a Windows 10 PC using Chrome, Edge or Internet Explorer.  I also use Xfinity Stream on my iPhone.  Im sitting about 5 feet from my Comcast DVR which is in a different room of my house.

I'm a little behind on the status of broadcast network availibility on Xfinity Stream.  I recorded PBS News Hour on my Comcast DVR a couple of hours ago.  I don't see PBS on Xfinity Stream - either as a live broadcast or the PBS recording I made on my Comcast DVR a couple of hours ago.

Would someone be nice enough to bring me up to date on the status of Xfinity Stream capabilities.  I'm not able to find anything by Google-ing.

Thanks

Not all local channels are available on the streaming app and website.

Do you see any other of your recording using the streaming website?

Regular Contributor

mvenanzi,

Thank you for your reply.

In the screen print below, it shows I have 32 recordings.  Only 13 of them are available to view on Xfinity Stream.  None of the recordings from PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox are available to view.

Bronze Problem Solver

truerock2 wrote:

mvenanzi,

Thank you for your reply.

In the screen print below, it shows I have 32 recordings.  Only 13 of them are available to view on Xfinity Stream.  None of the recordings from PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox are available to view.

Pic didn't make it to forum, How full does the website/app say your dvr is? Are they older recordings? Try a new recording on a channel that shows up on website, wait about an hour after it completes, does it show on the website?

Regular Contributor

I just finished a chat with Comcast.  The tech said he didn't know why I couldn't use Xfinity Stream for PBS and other broadcast channels.  The situation is fluid and changes frequently - what was correct a couple a months ago may be different today.  He said it could be because it doesn't work in Houston or because my DVR service needs to be reset.  He escalated a ticket and told me it would take someone about 24 hours to look into it.

We have Comcast, Netflix, Amazon Prime and a couple of other streaming subscriptions.  My wife is the most perturbed about this situation.  My kids could care less - they just torrent everything because they think streaming is a pain in the butt.  They download a lot of stuff on iTunes because they get gift cards for Christmas and birthdays.  I was thinking streaming was the future - but... is the next generation just going to download everything?

Oh... they just told me they stream a lot of stuff from You Tube.

Regular Contributor

mvenanzi,

Xfinity Stream shows 44% and 32 recordings - my Comcast DVR shows 75% and 88 recordings.

My wife and I have things recording on the DVR all evening. 

Z Nation (on SyFy channel) is showing as recording right now.  That is not a broadcast chanel.

Blind Spot, a NBC show, recorded about 2 hours ago and it does NOT show up on Xfinity Stream.

I want to power-cycle the Comcast DVR - but, too many family members are using it now.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

My wife asked me when I was going to get the streaming problem fixed...  She wants to watch everyting on her iPad - not the TVs.

Bronze Problem Solver

truerock2 wrote:

My wife asked me when I was going to get the streaming problem fixed...  She wants to watch everyting on her iPad - not the TVs.

On my system, one of the major networks that is on the app is not on the website, they haven't been able to answer that yet.

Regular Contributor

mvenanzi,

A few months ago I was watching ML baseball on my iPhone at home (in the backyard).  Everything was great - and then all of a sudden Xfinity Stream cut out and it gave a message that said I had to be on my home network.  Might of been a temporary Wifi problem.

I was watching HBO Game of Thrones on AT&T cellular network away from my home a few months ago.  I tried to AirPlay my iPhone to a LCD TV and Xfinity Stream said I wasn't allowed to do that.

It is definitely a complicated world.  It isn't Comcast's fault.  It's the content owners who are introducing the complexity.

Bronze Problem Solver

truerock2 wrote:

mvenanzi,

A few months ago I was watching ML baseball on my iPhone at home (in the backyard).  Everything was great - and then all of a sudden Xfinity Stream cut out and it gave a message that said I had to be on my home network.  Might of been a temporary Wifi problem.

I was watching HBO Game of Thrones on AT&T cellular network away from my home a few months ago.  I tried to AirPlay my iPhone to a LCD TV and Xfinity Stream said I wasn't allowed to do that.

It is definitely a complicated world.  It isn't Comcast's fault.  It's the content owners who are introducing the complexity.

Yes casting/mirroring is blocked on the app, that's a well known fact since they changed their contracts about a year and a half ago. I believe its because comcast isn't willing to pay providers for the ability . Other delivery services (dish, att, etc) don't have these restrictions.

Regular Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:

truerock2 wrote:

mvenanzi,

Yes casting/mirroring is blocked on the app, that's a well known fact since they changed their contracts about a year and a half ago. I believe its because comcast isn't willing to pay providers for the ability . Other delivery services (dish, att, etc) don't have these restrictions.

Yes, that's kind-of what I'm getting at is the problem.  Comcast has not documented what the status of all of this is.  Which channels can stream at home?  Which channels cannot stream at home?  Which channels can stream away from home?  Which channels can stream a DVR recording?  Which channels cannot stream a DVR recording?  Which channels can Miracast.  Which channels cannot miracast.

But it is much worse that that.  Sometimes you can miracast HBO... sometimes you cant miracast HBO.

Which channels can you fast-forward?  Which channels can not fast forward.  How about rewind?

I truly, truly understand why my kids just say screw-it... and they just torrent everything... even though we have subscriptions to most of the major streaming services.

God... I wish Steve Jobs was alive so he could straighten all of this out.

Regular Contributor

I receive a phone call back from Comcast today about my problem.  That tech bumbed up to a higher level and I ended up spending most of my time re-explaining the situation to the level-3-support-tech.  He decided to refile my problem-ticket up to level-4-help.

The level-4-tech called my a couple of hours later and we went over the details of the problem (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and PBS) are not on live Xfinity-Stream and any recordings from those channels on my DVR do not show up on Xfinity-Stream.  The level-4 tech updated and re-booted my DVR and internet-modem.  He also had me power-cycle both of those devices.  The level-4 tech said most of the things he was working on involved Comcast's back-end servers.

The problem was not solved.    The level-4-tech has re-prioritized my problem and sent it to level-5-tech.  Level 5 is to call me in a day or so.

Regular Contributor

The level-4 Comcast tech called me a few minutes ago.  He asked me to check my Xfinity Stream on my Windows 10 PC.  I checked and all of the live broadcast channels where available for viewing (ABC, NBC, CBC, Fox, PBS).  Also, the recordings for those channels were also available.  So, all is well.

The tech said that we may have not been using Xfinity Stream to view those channels for a while and we may have lost our "entitlements".  He thought it was odd that it took so long for the "entitlements" to be downloaded to my Comcast DVR.  

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation