Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Remote app won't change channels on new DVR.

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Remote app won't change channels on new DVR.

I'm posting this here in frustration after 4 1/2 hours of trying to get this resolved with comcast support (2 hours on chat and 2 1/2 over the phone. Bounced around enelessly, disconnected 3x, the second time from a lady that said she suspected she found the problem. I was hoping she'd call back.

Anyway....

I've been using the app for over a year. It worked fine on my 2 cable boxes. Yesterday, I traded in box 1 for a DVR so the GF can record her silly shows.

They gave me a motorola DCH3416. It appears to work just fine. When I try to change channels using the app, I get a popup "Sorry! An error occurred during this request <OK>". This happens from both my iPad and iPod Touch.

I've reinstalled the app. Unplugged the DVR for 10 minutes or so. I renamed the DVR from the default of DVR1 to something else (as instructed by chat support).

If i pull up a show in the listings on the app, I can hit record in the app and it DOES record what I've selected. It's just that I can't change channels.

The last tech who I spoke to said that she thought she found my issue and that it had something to do with the order and a code. When I look at my devices, I see the new DVR on the top of the list, my bedroom digital cable box and 2 of those little $1.99\month (used to be free) boxes.

When I go to my TV settings, this device is checked as my default DVR, but it lists this under TV Control: "TV Control is not available for this cable box. Why?"  That WHY is a hyperlink that only takes you to some general about the app type page: http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/help/technical-support/tv-control/    That's really no use to me.

I'm at wits end here. The tv listings in the app are really the primary way I look up shows and change channels. It's great when it works.

I'd love to hear if anyone has an idea of what's up. I don't have it in me to try calling Comcast again. 8 reps, 2 disconnects, some minor and major idiocy, long hold times.......I just can't do it anymore, but I need this to work.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Remote app won't change channels on new DVR.

Official Employee

I'd give it to tomorrow, I'm thinking that the job that the box s associated hasn't fully closed out that's why you are having issues

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Still no luck today. Thanks for the reply though.
Frequent Visitor

Latest update. I'm still not working. I figured out a way to enter a sort of web ticket, and did get this reply via email, which i'll paste at the end. They suggest going to that remotehelp web page (http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/rh). When I did that, my DVR model is reported as:

Big Room DVR[ No Device Model Available ]

I'm thining that's the root of my problem. After about 3 more hours of chat support, they entered a ticket to 2nd level.

Here's neat trick. This happened to me on Sunday and I thought it was a glitch, but it happened again today. When a chat rep gets engaged into a chat that's turning into a difficult issue, somehow my cable modem got reset, and the chat ended. Hmm. If  it only happened once, I'd think bad luck, 2X.....I know  they're doing the chat equivalent of hanging up on me. That's frustrating. I'll add that my internet service is typically rock solid.....except when I'm on with a chat rep. They blew up my VPN connection to my office and hung up on a business call too. No excuse for that.

Here's what the email said. THis didn't help me, but I'll post it here in case it can help others.

First, please take a moment to review the requirements at the bottom of The XFINITY TV App page to make certain all conditions are met.

Are you able to display the guide and change channels through your cable box remote without any trouble?

When the app was installed and set-up was the DVR/Cable Box turned ON?

If all of the criteria are met and you can change the channel with your remote, please go to the room with the set-top box that needs to be tested.  From your iPad, go to www.Xfinitytv.com/remotehelp to determine if the problem is originating from the app itself, the iPad, or if it is with the cable box.

You will be taken to a Self-Test page once you sign-in.  You will see your account number, username, content access, channel lineup, and the cable boxes in your home. Boxes that are capable or compatible with XFINITY Remote will have a red TESTlink on the right hand side.

Do you see the name of the set-top box you are trying to regulate?
    Tap, select, or click the red TESTlink to send a signal to the box to see if it works. On the right hand side of the line with the set-top box information 'request sent' should show up. It is faded and hard to see.
    If the testworks, the TV will show the banner information for Channel 3.  If you do not see the banner, the box is not receiving a signal.
    If you are able to see the banner information for Channel 3, please reboot your iPad.
    If the test does not work, the next step will be to reset the cable box. To reset your cable box, please press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds.  After resetting the set-top box, please note it can take up to 6.5 hours for the XFINITY TV Application to start working again.
    Once the XFINITY TV app recognizes your set-top box, please reboot your iPad.

Next, give the set-top box a new name

1.      Sign into the XFINITY TV App and turn on all of the cable boxes in the house

2.      Tap, select, or click the Settings (gear in upper left corner)

3.      Select TV Names

4.      Select one of the TVs (set-top boxes) to be renamed, highlight your selection and type a new name

Lastly, please uninstall and reinstall the XFINITY TV application from The XFINITY TV App home page.

If you are still experiencing issues once you’ve completed these troubleshooting steps, please reply to this email or chat with us at your convenience.  Please include all of the troubleshooting steps you’ve completed.

New Poster

My set top box no longer shows in my tv remote app in my ipad app. The name I gave it also got changed or reset to the default. Have tried everything I could find in the help windows and the user forums. Nothing is working. It got shut off recently, without my permission. Was working before,Mobutu now doesn't work. Seems odd and is very frustrating as that's the way I change channels in my bedroom hd box you provided me last month. Yes, my box is new, from you.

Please help.
Damon
Frequent Visitor

It looks like they updated the remote app version to 1.18 this morning. I tried it for the heck of it, but it still doesn't work (same issue). I really didn't expect it to, as it looks like more of a problem with the way Comcast identifies my box. My DVR doesn't show up when I go to the tv listings on the comcast web page either. My old cable box always did.

Still no word back from support about that ticket that was entered last week.

Frequent Visitor

Just spent another hour with chat support. I finally got a supervisor who escalated my week old ticket (that was supposed to be resolved in 48-72 hours).

Frequent Visitor

Well, just by force of habit, I looked at my listings on Sunday and by greater force of habit I changed my channel with the app. It actually worked.

When I go to the remotehelp page, I now see my DVR identified properly as:

Big Room DVRMotorola

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be fixed, but I've invested 12 hours into chat\phone support. That includes several disconnections (the chat guys resetting my cable modem to dump the "call" was maddening).

The time to resolve was horrible as was any communication from Comcast. There wasn't any unless I called\chatted my way down that black hole.

If they ever get me some details on what was done to resolve my issue, I'll certainly share it here, but I'm not holding my breath. Good luck everyone.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation