Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Player app for ios "error"

New Poster

Xfinity Player app for ios "error"

I've been trying to figure out why my xfinity player app won't play any content. I have emailed comcast support, chatted online, deleted and re-installed the app, rebooted my device, logged out, and logged back in.... I can not get any content to play on this app whether right from the app or downloaded. I am logged in with my active Comcast ID. I have a digital tv subscription, and all I can get is a message saying "Sorry, we've experienced some difficulty playing your video". I have tried changing parental controls, nothing will fix the problem. I am running iOS 5.0.1 on IPhone 4 also same results on my sons iPod4 running iOS 5.0.1. Please...I am hoping for a good fix solution as I'm disgusted with the email and chat responses from Comcast. Example check Comcast ID and it should work,or reboot your device and try again. I've done all that stuff several times. It still won't work. Please help?!?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Player app for ios "error"

have you downloded the xfinity remote app?  there are two apps, some people have found that one will work for them and the other does not.  so you have the xfinity player one get this one.  Also you can only have 3 devices associated with your account how many do you have on their, you can check that here.  under manage my devices.  You can also delete them from there and start the process again.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/mytv/settings

Also your devices are way behind on ios updates.  there have been two updates passed ios 6 already.  

My guess here will be this,  comcast has not enabled this on your account on their end.  9 times out of ten its their issue on your account that prevents this.  I would download the remote app first then try all those other things.  report back what you find.

Frequent Visitor

Rog,

What would need to be enabled? The permission to use the app? This doesn't seem to make sense.

I wonder if it has something to do with the iDevice being jailbroken. I am on 5.1.1 and jailbroken. I assume that the user above is the same. I know Time Warner blocks the use of jailbroken devices with their app. I would think that same would go for xfinity with the exception being that the tv remote app works. It's the player app that is the problem. Jailbreaking devices are legal but it would be nice to know if this is the issue with this app.
Silver Problem Solver

many people are in the same boat as you, they complain to comcast and comcast does something on their end and it just magically works.   I do not know about the jailbreaking aspect as my devices are not jailbroke.   did you go that site I posted and see what devices are there??   you can remove them and try again. 

Also go to your cable box and then to box set up and then see if you have remote access set up there.  If you do click on it if it gives you the website address its not set up if it says delete you can delete it and then try the synch again.  This works sometimes, but if its an issue on comcasts end nothing I tell you will help you.   Send a PM to comcastjoe whos name appears in red here, he can escalate your issue to the product team to look into your issue. 

I just checked and all you need is ios 4.01 to make it work.  Like I said though I don't know about the jailbreak though.   give those things a try and see what happens.  I hope I have moved you a little closer to a solution with these suggestions though.

New Poster

I went to the website you listed. I went all through my settings and users. I set my parental controls to show all content. And I deleted the two devices (my iPhone and my sons iPod.) I then went back into the app, signed out and closed the app down. I opened it back up and was prompted for my log in info. After I was logged in, I clicked movies, clicked on 21 jumpstreet (first on list) it acts like it is preparing to play..... Then gives me the "sorry can't play" message. I dont know what else to try.
New Poster

Also, I can't set anything up to my set top box as I live in an older system area that uses Scientific Atlanta equipment. It tells me I have no eligible boxes.
Silver Problem Solver

most SA Cisco markets are not eligilbe for the dvr manager yet, its rolling out slowly to your market.  Your cable boxes are most likely not eligible.   

Frequent Visitor

Rog,

I had gone through the device list before. I am familiar with it.  Only have two devices listed under the TV remoTe app (streaming) and two under the player app (download).  I may pm comcastjoe though this issue hardly seems isolated based upon the amount of posts I see throughout the forum.  I can't imagine this problem has anything to do with account settings since it list my approved devices for downloading in my account settings. I just so weird?

Thanks 

Silver Problem Solver

for some reason they have to do something on their side to get this to work, its some account setting.  That is most likey your best bet.  They will escalte it to the product team which will then look into your account and see if something is interferring with the set up.

New Poster

if you have a jailbroken device, you will get that error. I have the same issue on 2 of my jailbroken devices, but another iPhone that isnt jailbroken plays videos perfectly..

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation