Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xbox HBO Go blocked?

New Poster

Xbox HBO Go blocked?

Going the way of ROKU is it?  When will Comcast learn that Xfinity does not equal HBO Go?

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Xbox HBO Go blocked?

cadams1977 wrote:

Going the way of ROKU is it?  When will Comcast learn that Xfinity does not equal HBO Go?

We just released a Xfinity TV App for Xbox today that will allow you to watch content on your Xbox 360.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Yup. Cancelling today. Seems they are committed to winning the race to the bottom. 

I can't seriously believe they think this is a viable business model.

New Poster

Hahahah ComcastJoe....you don't really think that is comparable or a fair way to treat your customers do you? 

Official Employee

KiloWattson wrote:

Hahahah ComcastJoe....you don't really think that is comparable or a fair way to treat your customers do you? 

We will continue to work with our partners to deliver even more choices to our customers in more places

For now, HBO content will be available in the Xfinity TV App for Xbox 360.

Once more information arises, I will update this thread.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

I appreciate your response, but I will not be around to see your updates as I (and I imagine others) consider this the last straw and will be cancelling. Thanks though. Have fun on this sinking ship.

New Poster

Even DirecTV is allowing Xbox 360 activation which shows you that it is at the complete discretion of the operators to allow or disallow access to HBO Go from the different devices out there.  I wish Comcast would be honest instead of perpetuating this charade that this is not an intentional withholding of services.

Regular Visitor

The Xfinity app only has a fraction of the HBO GO content. What a joke.

Frequent Visitor

Joe: Is the HBO content provided by Comcast via the Xbox app the same as that provided by the HBOGO app? With HBOGO I"m able to watch every episode of every HBO show. If Comcast is going to provide the same thing through their own app, that's fine.

If the offerings from Comcast are only going to mirror the on demand service that this really stinks. Nor does it really solve anything because I can just hook my laptop up to my TV...I just would like the ease of use of the Xbox app.

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

This is exactly what I was afraid of.  I was hoping (praying) that Comcast would allow HBOGO on the XBOX...considering that they were going to have their own XFINITY app too.  Now my fears are confirmed.

I DON'T GET THIS AT ALL!  I pay Comcast for HBO services....Comcast gets their cut.  If I was going straight to HBO...that would be a whole different issue.  Plus Comcast lets us access HBO Go on iphone/ipad....why not the TV?

And don't give us this Bull about how we can use the HBO on Demand services thru Xfinity.  The selections are nowhere close to the same. 

This is the 2nd time Comcast has pulled this junk on me.  The first was my brand new Samsung Smart TV.

I have 2 internet services plus a wireless network, 7 DVRs and phone services...monthly bill over $300.00.

For the 1st time, I am really thinking of cancelling.  I am SO FRUSTRATED!!!!

Regular Visitor

noneroy wrote:

Joe: Is the HBO content provided by Comcast via the Xbox app the same as that provided by the HBOGO app? With HBOGO I"m able to watch every episode of every HBO show. If Comcast is going to provide the same thing through their own app, that's fine.

If the offerings from Comcast are only going to mirror the on demand service that this really stinks. Nor does it really solve anything because I can just hook my laptop up to my TV...I just would like the ease of use of the Xbox app.

Thanks!

Its the same as on demand. Its missing countless shows and episodes.

Frequent Visitor

I was hoping that wasn't the case. I mean if Comcast wants to deliver the same content via their own channel (and stream it over the intranet rather than over the internet) that's fine with me...no worries. But blocking HBOGO when I pay for it is uncool. Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

New Poster

So...the long and short is absolutely no lessons were learned from the whole Netflix fiasco.

Honestly, why, exactly, would I want to pay the same amount as a Verizon, DirectTV, Dish Network, and COX cable customer for about a quarter of the service?  HBOGo has a larger catalog available to choose from.  OnDemand does not.  HBOGo allows me to watch/catch up on a series...OnDemand does not.  The services aren't even remotely similar.

I already have the subscription to HBO.  HBOGo is just a "value-added" service that actually entices me to keep HBO, and not find a reason to get rid of it. 

It makes no financial sense on a corporate level.  I can watch it, sitting in my living room, on the computer or on my iPad, but not upstairs in my bedroom because you don't want to work with Microsoft?  Is there a reason?  Is Microsoft or HBO actually charging Comcast to unblock it?

Honestly...what's the justification and reasoning for blocking a value-added service that makes it more, not less, likely that I'll keep Comcast AND HBO?  Is it a bandwidth issue?  I note that recent reports say the Xfinity App will not apply towards the 250 GB bandwidth caps...

I mean, honestly, I have a cable box I'm renting already.  I'm paying extra for it each month. If the answer that was remotely appropriate is "You can watch the same offerings OnDemand," I think my response is "So....basically you're doing absolutely nothing for me, and charging me for it, so I should tell me friends and colleagues to take out a DirectTV account instead."

I'm sorry, Joe.  In this day and age of people watching every penny, I'm going to need more than some platitude when I'm getting told why I'm not getting my money's worth out of a cable provider when others most certainly are getting it our of theirs.  Your television services, and to an extent your internet services, are a luxury...not a necessity.  I need a real response in order to either justify my decision to remain a Comcast customer, or decide it might be better to call DirectTV and see what they'll offer to help me break a contract with Comcast and jump on board the DirectTV train.

New Poster

Their justification is pretty simple: Watching something that is not offered through their portal (XfinityTV On Demand) means your eyeballs are not seeing their ads. Simple as that.

Now of course they are too dense and obtuse to understand that by simply trying to force me through their own portal they are insuring I cancel their service.

So they are in essense saying my eyeballs on their ads is worth more than my guaranteed montly payment. 

What they don't seem to understand is that allowing me to not see their ads and view a wider range of content on HBOGo would insure that I keep paying them $150 a month. Take that away because you're afraid I won't see your ads? Then you get nothing. You don't get my eyes on your advertisers ads AND you don't get my $150 a month.

Terrible terrible business decisions all around!

Frequent Visitor

Your rationale (or theirs) doesn't make sense. HBO GO doesn't have commercials. I pay money every month to get access to HBO so I don't have commercials (and therefore no pressure to please advertisers instead of the viewer). Yes, it could result in more traffic leavin the Comcast network, but I have a 250gb a month cap, I should be allowed to use it however i want.

New Poster

Looks like its time to leave comcast. I have been waiting for hboGO on the xbox for a while. This is beyond rediculous. I pay for hbo and should be able to get this feature but instead im suppose to be happy with getting on demand on my xbox that only has a couple shows

New Poster

The Xfinity App is entirely different than HBO Go.  Your app has some series but not all episodes.  The Xfinity app has only 4 episodes of The Wire while HBO Go has the entire series.  Disappointed to say the least.

Frequent Visitor

Very disappointed the xfinity app is absolutely no different than what you get via on demand through the Comcast set top box. The Xbox app is pointless. Hbo go better be available soon or I have no reason not to go to dish.
New Poster

noneroy wrote:

Your rationale (or theirs) doesn't make sense. HBO GO doesn't have commercials. I pay money every month to get access to HBO so I don't have commercials (and therefore no pressure to please advertisers instead of the viewer). Yes, it could result in more traffic leavin the Comcast network, but I have a 250gb a month cap, I should be allowed to use it however i want.

You're misunderstanding then. By using a third party device (ie Roku or 360) you are being taken away from Comcast's On Demand channel which has ads. So by blocking access to HBOGo apps from Roku or the 360, they are forcing you into their own On Demand portal to try to watch HBOGo stuff, therefore exposing you to their ads. They are trying their best to funnel you through an ad exposed portal. And disabling access to HBOGo lets them do that.

New Poster

Forcing me to use Xfinity app on Xbox 360 for hbo content.... RIDICULOUS

Hbo go works awesome on the computer, but when it comes out for the Xbox 360 you force your customers to use the xfinity app instead, which has a very limited selection (on demand). This is absolutly ridiculous I would rather use the hbo go app to get everything that has been on hbo. That is what I pay for and will be ending my comcast service because you do not care about your customers. 

New Poster

Joe, may I ask why I am not allowed to use a product I pay for through your company?

I mean seriously. I PAY for HBO (when not getting some deal on it). Therefore I pay for HBOGo.

New Poster

Xfinity Blocking HBO GO

If Xfinity is dead set on blocking HBO GO from all devices, then what's the point in staying with Xfinity?  If another provider offers everything Xfinity does (and they do) plus HBO GO, then what does Xfinity offer? 

And don't say: They offer HBO OnDemand.  They don't.  If you want to see any episode from any season of an HBO series, you can do it on HBO GO.  You can't on Xfinity.  You can see five-six episodes and Xfinity chooses which ones they are. 

Comcast: would it be so bad if you let your subscribers have Xfinity AND HBO GO?  What good does it do to block HBO GO when HBO doesn't even compete with Xfinity? 

New Poster

KiloWattson wrote:

You're misunderstanding then. By using a third party device (ie Roku or 360) you are being taken away from Comcast's On Demand channel which has ads. So by blocking access to HBOGo apps from Roku or the 360, they are forcing you into their own On Demand portal to try to watch HBOGo stuff, therefore exposing you to their ads. They are trying their best to funnel you through an ad exposed portal. And disabling access to HBOGo lets them do that.

Funny thing is, I don't know why that's even an issue...I've been taking a look at their offerings through the Xfinity App (severely limited...the Warwick Davis/Ricky Gervais show is the saving grace right now) and the HBO programs don't seem to have any ads.

Here's a thought, though:

Do they actually make that 250GB cap well known to customers?  I was thinking, between HBOGo and Netflix, they may actually end up having people hit their cap and then get the flood of calls from consumers that weren't aware until they started getting overage fees.

Other than that, I'd say it's a general fear that if HBOGo gets offered as an independent service from the HBO channel at some point, or a seperate streaming service, Comcast fears people dropping TV altogether and shifting to HBO + internet, threatening a market share.  If so, the only thing I could imagine is that it's "shooting themselves in the foot."  I'd be more willing to shift to HBOGo + internet over the very limited choices on the Xfinity App, considering I really just keep my TV cable for convenience and my kids. I don't think with Netflix, Hulu, and some sort of HBO streaming we'd miss it that much.

The long and short is, I'm now going to start looking at options other than Comcast for my services, because the more I think about why HBOGo would be blocked, the more I keep seeing rationale alternatives to cable service that cost me less and don't really impact me.

Wow, Comcast...blocking one app is making me think about the futility and costliness of a traditional cable delivery model that tries to make very minimal changes to a business model that's quickly becoming irrational and unsustainable, simply because I'm trying to figure out WHY it won't get blocked.  Great job on the canned responses, though...never would have even started down this line of thought without the lack of real explanation and transparency in your company's answering of a relatively simple and fair question.  I probably would have just taken "We've decided we don't want to participate in that program due to our business model" over "Don't look at the man behind the curtain, look at our shiny app that delivers nothing near the same quality and quantity of programming as the one you're asking about!"

New Poster

your app for the xbox is horrible!!  the same trash that's on my ON Demand on my box.  once again the customers get screwed...i feel comcastic!!

New Poster

HBO won't ever allow an independant HBOGo subscription simply because the cable companies forbid it. They rely on traditional cable companies to distribute their service to customers. HBO itself would have to be viable on it's own (and that's not going to happen because HBO doesn't have any physical cable infrastructure) before they'd allow HBOGo to be available by itself.

As it stands right now Comcast et all just say "if you offer HBOGo as an independant service then we'll drop you and stop offering your channel to our customers." They would lose such a major chunk of revenue that it would be futile.

Frequent Visitor

If Comcast is so against HBO Go...why do they offer it on IPAD/IPhone.  Makes no sense that they allow on these devices but not TVs.

New Poster

I'm...not exactly certain they would.  At least not as certain as I would have been a few years back.  The trend seems to be in the direction of going away from traditional cable providers.  I mean, really, have you seen "Lillyhammer," the Netflix produced show?  Not only is it funny...it's actually good.  Not $14 a month good, but good enough when combined with everything else to keep the service. Streaming-only services, spurred by the economic troubles, are starting to come into their own.

For HBO, there's less of a hurdle...they already have a brand.  All HBO has to do is simply say "Sure, we'll keep the cable channels.  Yes, we'll give your subscribers access as part of the package.  We're also going to market our product to those who don't have a cable provider and want it." 

Additionally, the cord-cutting practice, despite what many people in the industry seem to think, probably isn't going to go away when the economy improves.  People have found it easier than dealing with cable, and cheaper in the long run.  Once major networks, including premiums, realize that, the value of the relationship with a traditional cable distributor decreases, and the positional power changes...it becomes the distributor that needs the network, not the other way around.

I'd think that, in a time when Netflix is coming up with original programming and still recovering market share, Hulu is replacing cable subscriptions, and more people are willing to just watch the shows that are offered free online by the networks, long ads and all, the whole traditional business model of a cable distributor is unsustainable, while the networks have an option to take an upper hand in the relationshiop dynamic between the two.  If they do, I'll be there with my cash in hand to take their service and cut the cord.

New Poster

JCTabler wrote:

I'm...not exactly certain they would.  At least not as certain as I would have been a few years back.  The trend seems to be in the direction of going away from traditional cable providers.  I mean, really, have you seen "Lillyhammer," the Netflix produced show?  Not only is it funny...it's actually good.  Not $14 a month good, but good enough when combined with everything else to keep the service. Streaming-only services, spurred by the economic troubles, are starting to come into their own.

For HBO, there's less of a hurdle...they already have a brand.  All HBO has to do is simply say "Sure, we'll keep the cable channels.  Yes, we'll give your subscribers access as part of the package.  We're also going to market our product to those who don't have a cable provider and want it." 

But see the problem is that if HBO were to say that then Comcast and the other cable providers just go "Okay then we don't carry your service at ALL" and then HBO is all of a sudden without their absolutely largest revenue stream. They'd only have what they would get through streaming subs and that wouldn't be but a fraction of their current revenue.

That's what I'm getting at. HBO HATESSSS the cable providers, but at this point they are necessary to distribute and get subscribers..their only revenue stream. To tick them off means they lose everything. It's this sick symbiotic relationship. Like a dealer and the addicted.

Frequent Visitor

If we really want Comast to come around and give us this access, we need to use other resources to make them see how many people are angry about this.  If we all post to the Xfinity facebook page, eventually they might get sick enough of seeing it that they relent.  Also, twitter is a good resource for issues like this, so spam away at their account. 

New Poster

This is ridiculous, and Comcast's response is unacceptable.  

I pay for a service, HBO, which includes the ancillary benefit of being able to access extended content through Internet devices.  Comcast blocking of that service kills an element of that product that I'm paying for, and therefore makes it overpriced compared to AT&T or Directv. Do you not get that? 

This is such b.s.  Get it together. 

New Poster

Just posted on xfinity Facebook page. I am extremely upset and will have to take my money to another provider if they don't fix this SOON.
New Poster

Ugh.  Really?  I have been waiting for this long for the HBO GO Xbox app only to find I can't access the HBO GO catalog?  The Xfinity app, while a fine replacement for the DVR OnDemand (I do like it so far), does NOT offer a competitive catalog.  Not anywhere close.

I find value in HBO's back catalog and that is one of the big reasons I continue to subscribe.  Without access on my TV it has very diminished value.

PLEASE work things out so we can access the HBO GO app.  It is critical for you to be competitive, and for my enjoyment!

New Poster

Isn't HBO owned by time warner a cable provider? So good luck with thinking that this distribution model will change soon

New Poster

I have constantly defended Comcast and always have been willing to pay more money because I believed that this company provided better content and offers than any other. But, no HBO GO on Xbox is infuriating. Of course, I'm in a contract with you, so I can't break it without it costing me an extra arm and a leg. Congrats. Even if you do nothing, I can't afford to break my contract. I can hardly afford to be a Comcast customer at all.

Most of the providers that allow HBO GO on Live I've never even heard of, yet Comcast, the largest cable provider in the country is not a part of it? Ridiculous. On top of this all, Comcast has been completely silent on this subject on Facebook, Twitter, etc. I have sent an email to the corporate communications department I expect not be read, considering the treatment of customers on social media. Incredibly disappointed.

New Poster

This is really dissapointing.  I was really excited about getting HBO Go on my Xbox 360.  The Xfinity App is fine, but is absolutely no substitute for the full catalogue that is offered through HBO Go.  Comcast please do the right thing and provide your customers access to this app!

New Poster

This really sucks that comcast is not one of the providers on the HBOGO app on Xbox it's on the iPad so what's so different u say we can watch hbo on the xfinty app but they don't have hold season just a couple of episode will it come out soon? This really making me want to move on from Comcast!!
New Poster

I too had been very excited for HBO GO to hit the Xbox. I don't like watch TV from my phone or PC so seeing all HBO GO offered compared to what's On Demand had me looking forward to having all that on the big screen.
Now that I see that Comcast is not allowing it's paying customers (17 year loyalty) to have access to most of that content I am very upset. (though not as upset as when a stranger with no access to my personal info got her future address wrong, said she was moving into my apt, Comcast saw there was service there already (me) and so disconnected my service for this person without ever checking with me first.)
So this is the second strike. When I tried to find Comcast on the list of providers for my area I did see all of the other providers. At least now I know who to call. It'd be nice to have a service that would provide the programming I want on demand.
Fix this soon Comcast, or that will be strike three.
New Poster

ComcastJoe:  Stop trying to be such a greedy corporation and listen to your customers, while you still have some.  

The so called "work with your partners" is complete dung.  How is it most other major cable providers have been able to accomplish this and Xfinity can't seem to find the On switch?  No one cares about the substandard Xfinity app....  

New Poster

Allow me to add my name to the list of people asking for HBO GO to be available on Xbox.  Get with the program Comcast!

Regular Visitor

Xfinity Xbox 360 App

What is the point of having the App on the Xbox 360 if it's only providing currently available on demand content and not even what's available on Xfinity online? I can understand if it was giving us what's available online, because that has a ton of content. Right now it's on demand content that I have through my cable box, and when you're not giving access to HBO Go you are severely screwing your customers out of what should be available content. You're getting nothing but complaints on this front yet have not given any real responses or reactions to your customers. It's unacceptable.

New Poster

Why?!? Tell us HBO is greedy - I don't understand - I pay you good money for okay service - when want to use HBO Go let me use it where I want to. This is not comcastic!!!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Xbox 360 App

It would be good for me if it worked with Mytv Choice.  I don't use cable box, just a cable card in the computer. 

New Poster

I also had those fears but thought that since Xfinity was on the original list of cable providers on the HBO Go app for iOS that it would definetly be on the 360. I can't even get into the Xfinity app to see hwat its like so I have no comment on it. Besides that all I can say is please hurry up and come to my neighborhood Fios PLEASE!!!!!

New Poster

No, the Xfinity Xbox App only provides the same content as OnDemand.  So there's only limited HBO back-catalogue available.  Your Xfinity Ipad app is better at providing old HBO content but not complete.  Why are the Ipad and Xbox apps so different??

Official Employee
Moved:

For Error 7000 information and help, follow the link

Frequent Visitor

I pay for HBO. Give me HBO GO on my Xbox!!!!!

What kind of ridiculousness is? If this is not resolved, like many others, I will be done. Last straw.

Unreal.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Xbox 360 App

WE PAY FOR HBO AND HAVE A RIGHT TO THE HBO GO APP CONTENT!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity on X-Box and HBO

we need a class action lawsuit for this

New Poster

Unless HBO Go is available through Xfinity soon, I will be switching cable providers.

New Poster

ComcastJoe wrote:
We just released a Xfinity TV App for Xbox today that will allow you to watch content on your Xbox 360. 

That's all well and good, except that the Xfinity service/app is down. HBO Go is up, yet we still cannot use it. Also, in my experience, HBO Go has more content available and sooner than On Demand.