Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

XFINITY TV app says i'm not using home network, can't stream live TV

New Poster

XFINITY TV app says i'm not using home network, can't stream live TV

When i log in to my Xfinity TV app (whether it's my computer, iphone, ipad), it tells me that I cannot watch live TV because i'm not on my home network. It prevents me from watching live streams even though I am in my own house using my own internet. 

I'm running my own Netgear Modem and Router, so i don't have the XFINITY modem. The weird part is that the app worked just fine back in January, made a call to customer support about changes in my plan, and my app has not worked since that day. Please help this is so frustrating and i've called so many times only to waste an hour on th ephone with people who can't figure out what the issue is.

I can still watch all my recordings and most On-Demand features, I just can't watch live streams of channels on the XFINITY TV app because it says i'm only able to watch on my home network

Accepted Solutions
New Poster

Re: XFINITY TV app says i'm not using home network, can't stream live TV

ok so since no one was able to respond to my original post, here's for all of you people viewing this post in case you have the same issue going on....

I managed to resolve this issue with a chat with an agent online. Basically, my issue was that they didn't have the proper MAC address on my account, so for that reason, it wasn't recognizing my Netgear Modem as my home modem, because it didn't match what was listed on my Comcast account. They had the proper model just not the correct MAC address. 

This fixed the issue for me and hopefully this will help all the folks out there still dealing with this issue

All Replies
New Poster

ok so since no one was able to respond to my original post, here's for all of you people viewing this post in case you have the same issue going on....

I managed to resolve this issue with a chat with an agent online. Basically, my issue was that they didn't have the proper MAC address on my account, so for that reason, it wasn't recognizing my Netgear Modem as my home modem, because it didn't match what was listed on my Comcast account. They had the proper model just not the correct MAC address. 

This fixed the issue for me and hopefully this will help all the folks out there still dealing with this issue

New Poster

This is so frustrating.  I have read people having the same issure for over a year; and comcast/xfinity doesn't reply (well, occasionally a snarky reply).  

I have multiple comcast accounts for service in 2 different locations.  both internet and tv.  but i can only watch TV online in one location.....and comcast is conpletly unable to come up with a solution to toggle (or better to recognize) the home network.  

So i have a solution.  Direct TV in one location and comcast in the other.  

Official Employee

MSPSLU wrote:

This is so frustrating.  I have read people having the same issure for over a year; and comcast/xfinity doesn't reply (well, occasionally a snarky reply).  

I have multiple comcast accounts for service in 2 different locations.  both internet and tv.  but i can only watch TV online in one location.....and comcast is conpletly unable to come up with a solution to toggle (or better to recognize) the home network.  

So i have a solution.  Direct TV in one location and comcast in the other.  

Sorry for the frustration. There is a one-to-one relationship between a username and a "home". The username has a set of programming entitlements associated with it and it isn't possible to merge 2 homes together in that respect. However, it is possible to merge them for billing purposes which is what I suspect is the root cause of your issue (i.e. your username is tied to one of your homes as it relates to the apps).

There are a couple options (neither perfect):

1. Unlink your accounts so you have separate usernames/passwords for each
  2. Watch the "TV Go" content when you are in your 2nd home (with the "Available out of home" filter). With X1 Cloud DVR you can even watch your recordings anywhere in the USA.

I hope this helps.

-ComcastDan