New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY Instant TV Beta

Administrator
Administrator

XFINITY Instant TV Beta

XFINITY Instant TV Beta is a streaming cable service that offers live local channels, 60+ cable networks, premium programming options and access to your shows and movies any time you like through On Demand or Cloud DVR.

XFINITY Instant TV Beta is available through the XFINITY Stream app on Roku players, tablets and smartphones. Instant TV is also available on computers through the XFINITY Stream portal. Using the XFINITY Stream app or portal, you can:

• Stream live TV in home or on-the-go.
  • Watch the latest TV shows and hit movies with XFINITY On Demand.
  • Record up to 20 hours of your favorite shows with cloud-based DVR, and watch or download your recordings over the Internet.
  • Additional packages are also available based on your viewing preferences.

Stream live sports, top shows, the local news, and more on any device with no extra equipment. Plus, you can cancel anytime. That's XFINITY Instant TV. Add it to your XFINITY Internet service for $18/mo. (including Broadcast TV fee) and get your first month free.

Instant.PNG

What You'll Need

• XFINITY Instant TV Beta
  • An XFINITY-compatible cable modem or Wireless Gateway (Customers with XFINITY Internet service will have such compatible equipment already; customers can also lease or own this equipment)
  • A compatible computer or device with a browser installed
  • Your XFINITY username and password

Don't Have an XFINITY Username? No problem! You'll get one when you activate your XFINITY Internet service, which we'll get to in a minute.

Equipment Requirements

• Must have a cable modem/router (customer-owned or leased).
  • XFINITY Stream app minimum system requirements.
  • XFINITY Stream portal (www.xfinity.com/stream) minimum system requirements.

Preparing to Use XFINITY Instant TV Beta

Let's get you ready to start using the XFINITY Instant TV Beta.
  1. If your in-home XFINITY WiFi network is already up and running, skip to step 2. Otherwise, the first thing you need to do is set up your in-home WiFi network.
  2. Check the computers and devices you'll use to access the XFINITY Instant TV Beta to make sure they're compatible.
  3. If you want to access XFINITY Instant TV Beta from your devices, download the XFINITY Stream app onto those devices.
  4. To start using XFINITY Instant TV Beta, use your XFINITY username and password to sign in to:

XFINITY Instant TV Beta Tips

Make the most of XFINITY Instant TV Beta. Try these tips on for size.
  • Can't watch your favorite show when it's airing live? Record it using your cloud-based DVR so you can watch it later. With your cloud-based DVR, you can build your own personal entertainment library to access while at home or on the go.
  • Missed a few episodes of your favorite show? Catch up or binge-watch the latest TV shows and hit movies on XFINITY On Demand, wherever and whenever.
  • Make sure your cloud-based DVR recordings are finished before you try watching them when you're away from home. In-progress recordings can only be watched while you're connected to your in-home XFINITY network.
  • Download recordings or XFINITY On Demand programs to your device and watch them when you're offline. Learn more about downloading cloud-based DVR recordings and XFINITY On Demand content.
  • Trying to find a specific program? Use the search bar in the main menu, or filters when browsing live TV listings and XFINITY On Demand titles, to find what you're looking for.
  • Does someone else have control of the TV? No problem! Watch from anywhere in your home by streaming live TV, XFINITY On Demand programs and recordings right on your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
  • Wondering what your kids are watching? Set up Parental Controls on each device your child uses. To learn more, see:
  • Concerned about potential data costs from your mobile wireless provider when watching your cloud recordings or TV Everywhere programming included with the XFINITY Instant TV Beta while you're away from home? You can set the XFINITY Stream app to connect only when a WiFi network is available.

FAQ's

How do I get XFINITY Instant TV Beta?
You can visit www.xfinity.com/instant-tv to check eligibility in your market and sign up for a 30 day free trial of XFINITY Instant TV Beta.

What happens at the end of the XFINITY Instant TV free month?
At the end of your free month of XFINITY Instant TV Beta, regular charges apply. These are currently $18 inclusive of the Broadcast TV Fee. If you'd like to cancel before the end of your free month, you can do so online by going to the My Services section within My Account at xfinity.com/myaccount.

Additional channel packs and/or premium channels are not eligible for free trial. Customers who purchase channel packs or premium channels will be charged monthly for those additional packages until XFINITY Instant TV service is canceled, or the channel pack or premium channel is cancelled via My Account.

Note: The one-month free offer is only available for a limited time to new XFINITY Instant TV residential customers. Pricing is subject to change.

What channels are included with XFINITY Instant TV Beta?
Available channels vary by region, but all XFINITY TV Limited Basic lineups include popular broadcast channels like ABC, CBS, The CW, FOX, NBC and PBS - and public, educational and government channels. Plus, most include Univision and Telemundo.

To see the channels in your XFINITY Instant TV lineup, please consult the Limited Basic package on the XFINITY TV Channels page.

Can I get any premium channels with XFINITY Instant TV Beta?
Yes. You can add premiums at any time through My Account. Standard rates will apply.

What Latino channels are available to XFINITY Instant TV Beta customers?
In addition to local broadcast channels, including Univision and Telemundo, Deportes and Latino channel packs are offered in most markets.

What equipment do I need for XFINITY Instant TV Beta?
If you're a current XFINITY Internet customer, you don't need any additional equipment to use the XFINITY Instant TV Beta. Customers can use their own XFINITY Internet-approved device. Verify your modem compatibility. No TV Box is required to watch XFINITY Instant TV Beta content. You can watch using the XFINITY Stream app on your smartphone, tablet or Roku device. You can also go to the XFINITY Stream portal (www.xfinity.com/stream) on your computer.

Will XFINITY Instant TV Beta use data from my XFINITY Internet monthly data usage allowance?
No - XFINITY Instant TV Beta is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's cable system, not over the Internet. Therefore, XFINITY Instant TV Beta data usage will not be counted towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TV Everywhere programming that is included with your XFINITY Instant TV Beta subscription, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and would count towards any usage thresholds that might apply.

What happens after I place an XFINITY Instant TV Beta order?
Once you have signed up for XFINITY Instant TV Beta, your cable modem will automatically re-boot to ensure that the service is properly applied to your account. The modem may take up to 15 minutes to reboot, and you will not be able to access the Internet through your modem during that time.

Any subsequent changes to your XFINITY Instant TV Beta service, such as the addition or removal of channel packs or premium channels (or service cancellation), will also initiate a cable modem re-boot to ensure the change of service is applied to your account. Customers can manage their XFINITY Instant TV Beta service online in My Account.

What is the resolution video streamed through XFINITY Instant TV Beta?
XFINITY Instant TV Beta delivers video streams in up to 1080p. Resolution for individual programs may vary.

Which networks are available for live streaming and which offer shows available for streaming On Demand?
When connected to your in-home XFINITY network, all of the networks included in your package are available for live streaming and most of the popular shows and movies on those networks are available to stream On Demand. When you're away from home or using an Internet or mobile connection, you can also watch certain TV Go programs using the XFINITY Stream app or portal or a programmer app.

Does XFINITY Instant TV Beta include Pay Per View?
No, not at this time.

Can I rent or purchase TV shows or movies with XFINITY Instant TV Beta?
Not at this time, but we are working hard to add those features to the service.

Why can't I stream certain live TV channels or XFINITY On Demand programs when I'm away from home?
Comcast works with each content provider to deliver as many great viewing options as possible. Comcast TV Everywhere rights will vary by network and include delivery of some or all of a network's programming to our customers when they're away from home.

Why am I missing networks that are included with my XFINITY Instant TV Beta order?
It may take up to two hours before your order is completed and certain networks are available to watch.

How do I add or remove XFINITY Instant TV Beta or additional channel packs?
You can add or remove XFINITY Instant TV Beta or channel packs by going to the My Services section within My Account at http://www.xfinity.com/myaccount.

Is there a contract requirement or fee for cancelation?
No, customers can easily subscribe, manage and cancel their service at any time without a contract or cancellation fees.

What type of connection do I need for XFINITY Instant TV Beta?
You'll need to connect to your in-home XFINITY network. Please note that, when connected to another network, such as a neighbor's, a public XFINITY WiFi hotspot, or a mobile network, you can only watch DVR recordings and TV Go content. Using a mobile wireless network to download or use the XFINITY Stream app may incur data charges; check your wireless provider's rate plan for details.

Can I watch XFINITY Instant TV Beta content on multiple devices at the same time?
Yes. You can watch on up to two devices simultaneously.

How many programs can I record to my cloud-based DVR at the same time?
XFINITY Instant TV Beta customers can record up to two shows at once.

How many programs will my cloud-based DVR hold?
Your cloud-based DVR allows you to record up to 20 hours of programming (HD or SD).

Can I watch XFINITY Instant TV Beta on my television?
Yes. You can use the XFINITY Stream Beta channel for Roku to enjoy your Instant TV service on your television. We are working hard to bring the XFINITY Stream app to smart TVs and other streaming devices through our XFINITY TV Partner program, so check back periodically for updates.

Can I use my XFINITY Instant TV Beta credentials to access network websites and apps?
Yes. As an XFINITY Instant TV Beta subscriber, you can use your username and password to access many network websites and mobile apps. Click here for a current list of participating TV Everywhere apps.

Why are you launching XFINITY Instant TV as a beta?
We frequently use betas to test our products and services and collect feedback from our customers to update and improve our experiences.

Can XFINITY Instant TV Beta customers take existing cloud recordings with them when they move and/or transfer service?
At this time, you cannot transfer existing DVR recordings to a new service address.

Disclaimer

Restrictions apply. XFINTIY Instant TV Beta is only available in select areas. Offer currently available to XFINITY Internet-only customers. Requires an XFINITY-compatible cable modem or Wireless Gateway. Service allows for up to two simultaneous streams per account. May not be combined with other video services. Not all programming available in all areas. Using a mobile wireless network to download or use apps may incur data charges; check your wireless provider's rate plan for details.

For more informaiton about XFINITY Instant TV, like packages or to get 1 month free, please see here: https://www.xfinity.com/learn/instant-tv

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Contributor

Re: XFINITY Instant TV

Thank you for posting. This is excellent news! As an internet-only customer, we have been waiting for this streaming service to become available to us so we can watch Comcast on our Roku! I am looking at the instructions on how to sign up so we can sign up today!

Thanks again!

Administrator
Administrator

@DKPeppard,

You can actually sign up for XFINITY Instant TV services today. You can simply go to our XFINITY Instant TV website (https://www.xfinity.com/learn/instant-tv) and simply click the button "Get 1 Month Free". Choose your package and start watching today.

If you need anything else or have any further questions about this new service, please don't hesitate to let us know here.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: XFINITY Instant TV Beta

What are considered regional sports networks with the Sports package? I tried to add the package to see if it would list them, but it didn't so I backed out. Would this include the Pac 12 network and Root Sports Northwest?

New Poster

Attempted to sign up yesterday and got an order number, but nothing else has happened.  Said an e-mail would be received and nothing for a day.  Attempted to contact support - nothing on the account, having an order number doesn't seem to help, and then they tried to sell me a Digital Starter package as the solution.

Who do you contact for support for Instant TV Beta sign-up on an existing Internet account?

Frequent Visitor

No, you cant actually sign up for the service ... I tried several times.

First it  gives you that ridiculous price of $49

Then it fails in a next step

Obviously as other post mentioned on call folks has no clue whats going on.

How typical Comcast ...

New Poster

One hour doing an on-line chat - I was told it is not available and only a Digital Starter Package $70 and a box is available.  Mentioned Direct TV Now and a supervisor got involved and it was all the sudden available.

The problem seems to be is that the base package at $18 and one month free trial is not working with any additions as the additions are not free trial.  She could only get me the base package and one addition at $35/mo for either Sports & News or Entertainment (website says $25 for Sports & News and $15 for Entertainment).  Doesn't make a lot of sense but you can see how the computer system could be messed up like this at Comcast.  Ended up taking the one month free trial of the base package only and it could be processed.  I am a little concerned that they on-line order approval is saying the next bill will be $69.99 even though she kept saying $18/mo and that is the Instant TV Beta price.  I did keep the chat transcript to be safe.

This is a disaster.

New Poster

One clarification on the previous post - it did start working immediately after the order was processed and before the chat ended I was watching ABC.  Although, still don't have any news, sports, or enterainment channels and no way to add these options on-line.

Frequent Visitor

I will wait until they sort this out. I strongly believe they should have set up separate - start up - company to

handle this new service, as others did.

Do we have to spend hours on the phone, chats and to do screen prints. Really?

New Poster

Not sure on post paid, don't really care about it.

But it doesn't work on prepaid, even though it's offered.

I check my prepaid account and saw the offering of this instant tv, signed up 30 free trial(just local channels, still to expensive for other channels)

None of then work 10600 error on all local channels.

Go into to cancel it, behold page not found.
New Poster

I was an Xfinity internet only customer MD I'm so glad I heard about this service, the Only gripe I have with it is the amount of Dvr space available. Providing the available channels don't change from what they have now (unless they add more which is always a good thing) and the price doesn't increase. I'm an Xfinity Instant TV customer. So the above mentioned things and possibly more than the currently offered 20 hours of cloud Dvr space and I'm one happy customer.

OH that and bring Gigabit internet to Connecticut haha.

I have used DIRECTTVNOW /PLAYSTATION VIEW And Sling and they pale in comparison to Xfinity instant tv imo.

Thanks.

Martin
New Poster

Why is this only available on Roku?  I have an Amazon Fire TV box and would like to take advantage of new service but I’m not buying another piece of hardware to use it.  Signed up for free trial and can’t watch. 

Frequent Visitor

How much of a delay is there on live TV?  Any plans for it to work with Chrome or Apple TV?  How much is it all in if you want HBO, regional sports, showtime, etc?

New Poster

Ditto for me. Trying to add premium channel packages to my account online results in a “We’re sorry, it looks like you'll need some help completing your order“ message. 

After two tries with online chat, each lasting about an hour, I still don’t have the premium packages that I want. Both times I was told that the premium packages aren’t available and I also threatened going to a competitive service like Sling or DirecTV Now but the agent kept trying to direct me to traditional double play set top boxes. Here's a snippet of the chat:

* 1:05PM
Instant TV is $18 per month and the two packages total $35 per month
* Mr
I can understand Timothy, I would like to inform you that, you are currently using Xfinity Instant TV
And it's in addition to the $60/month that I pay for the 300 Mbps internet service
Yes I know I am using it
I want to add channels to it
* Mr
* 1:06PM
If you want to use sports package then you must have double play deal for that.

They are are not equipped in the contact center to handle this product yet.

New Poster

Re: XFINITY Instant TV Beta Favorite Channels

My only problem is there are too many choices for selection on the basic streaming package. I can filter for HD only, but then I lose the other digital channels such as MeTv & Grit TV (on RokuExpress). My wife is visually and patience impaired and this will NEVER work for her.The online allows me to setup favorite channels, which is perfect and will work great, but the favorite channel setup is not available in the Roku package.

Is there any hope that this feature will be added soon, or do I have to go to DirecTV Now to keep her happy?
And...have absolutely no idea how to make stupid tags go away.

New Poster

slightly confused at something said in the OP.

"Will XFINITY Instant TV Beta use data from my XFINITY Internet monthly data usage allowance?

No - XFINITY Instant TV Beta is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's cable system, not over the Internet. Therefore, XFINITY Instant TV Beta data usage will not be counted towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TV Everywhere programming that is included with your XFINITY Instant TV Beta subscription, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and would count towards any usage thresholds that might apply.".

You say that Xfinity Intant TV will not use data, and that it is delivered thorugh the cable which somehow magically turning into useable data after it hits your modem, you then go-on to say that Xfinity Instant TV Beta doesn't use data, BUT if you watch any TV everywhere programming (which is included with the BETA program) you DO use data.   Explain exactly what the difference is and how you would know which is which...  
Tags (1)
New Poster

Given the recent removal of the "record" option from the Xfinity Stream app due to the Tivo lawsuit, how does this impact setting recordings on Xfinity Instant TV?

Frequent Visitor

When I recently discovered the option to set recordings remotely on the X one DVR has now been removed, I called Comcast and they informed me that all apps are “unsupported”. Any failure in The functionality of any Comcast “app” is considered something that will never be in reimbursed to a customer. Is this true of this current beta app? When are you going to start to support your apps in a meaningful way? When an app stops working, when are you going to reimburse the customer for this failure?
New Poster

Just signed up for this service on top of my Internet-only plan.  Pretty great especially given its the only way to get live PBS, but 3 questions/requests:

1) Why doesn't my Instant TV Beta plan include HBO?  I read that HBO is included by default, but its not listed in the live TV guide.  I just looked on the main site and it said its $15 a month extra to add it. Confused.

2) Please replace Discovery channel with Science channel. Both channels are owned by Discovery, but Science fits in way better with the nature of the nature of the Limited Basic/Internet Plus lineup. Plus it actually has shows worth watching.   Worse, you don't offer Science channel in any of the add on packages! Why!?

3) Is there an Apple TV or Xbox One app planned?

The price is right, but you guys have to step up your game if you're going to compete with Direct TV NOW, Hulu+TV, Vue, Sling, Youtube TV, etc.

New Poster

I too would like an Apple TV 4K app. In fact, that’s the only reason I signed up. The Comcast support person said there was an Apple TV app. Was he mistaken? Is there an Apple TV beta app I can get via TestFlight?