Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY APP ON KINDLE HD

Frequent Visitor

XFINITY APP ON KINDLE HD

WHY CAN I NOT ATTACH A CABLE TO MY KINDLE HD AND WATCH XFINITY VIA MY KINDLE ON MY NICE BIG HDTV???? WHY, WHY DO YOU BLOCK THIS??? PLEASE STOP THIS FEATURE. IT MAKES NO SENSE. REASON 122 TO DROP COMCAST AND MOVE ON TO ATT OR DIRECT TV. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: XFINITY APP ON KINDLE HD

I feel your frustration. I wanted to respond because we had a similar situation and also because I get annoyed seeing people post and nobody from Comcast actually ever responds. I think Comcast 's (nutty) thinking is that if you have cable why would you need to hook your Kindle up to view Xfinity.

There are multiple reasons for this (for example, not wanting to pay for a box for a bedroom, office or guest room). As a work around, not that this solves your problem, because it doesn't and you shouldn't have to do what we did to fix the issue... but here's what we ended up doing (and may possibly be WAY more information than you want, lol)...

Here's our situation-

We pay for:

Comcast phone & blast internet at our main residence

Comcast blast internet at my husband's weekday residence

50% of Comcast Triple Play at my parents house including HDTV w/Showtime & HBO 

All 3 separate bills are under my SSN. So, I should have every right to watch any shows available via the Xfinity ToGo app WHEREVER I want. Hubby and I both had a Kindle Fire HD (7" & 8.9") with the HDMI out port. We thought this would solve the issue since Comcast/Xfinity also doesn't allow Showtime/HBO access via Roku (but does through Xbox)! Nope. We could watch HBO shows via the HBO app through the Kindle Fire HD/HDMI cable but not anything through the Xfinity app.

Anyway, we had no intention of upgrading our Kindle Fire HDs to the newer HDX model but for various reasons (including gifting my parents my 8.9" HD) we did. By being a bit creative (took some effort including purchasing 4 of the Limited Offer Kindle Fire only lock screen special deals then reselling on ebay plus after Christmas selling Hubby's 7" HD on Amazon for about $115) we not only gifted the 8.9" HD to my parents (sold my pink leather cover & bought them the persimmon one) but also were able to buy two new Kindle Fire 7" HDX versions with almost no out of pocket cost. I mention this because although you absolutely shouldn't have to upgrade your Kindle Fire, but if you do consider it you can probably do it for little out of pocket cost. (Like I said, probably more info than you wanted!)

Also, there is NO HDMI out on the HDX. This was one of the main reasons I didn't want to upgrade. I did have to invest about another $50 for the Netgear Push2TV unit vs about $6-$10 for a quality HDMI cable. (After tons of research and debating I'm really, really happy with my choice. It's a great, tiny little unit. However, if Hubby wanted to mirror his screen where he's at during the week we'd have to buy a second unit). With the HDX and a compatible Miracast device (like the push2tv) you don't need a cable (nothing to trip over or distort the signal) and it will exactly mirror what is on your screen. Anything... any app, game, book, magazine, website, photos, video, etc., etc. (plus it works with many laptops too).

As an additional note: I loaded both of our KF HDXs with free Amazon Prime movies & TV shows plus several episodes and movies available for download via the Xfinity Kindle app before heading to our Cabin for 10 days (limited WiFi availability). To use Miracast to mirror our device to the TV with the push2tv unit we only had to have WiFi turned on on the Kindle but it didn't have to actually be connected to a network. It worked fantastically!

Frequent Visitor

Re: XFINITY APP ON KINDLE HD

Thanks for the reply.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation