Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Why is the mobile app wifi only?

Frequent Visitor

Why is the mobile app wifi only?

Extremly frustrating. I travel a lot for work, and most nights I stay in cheap hotel rooms that don't offer wifi. I'm never able to catch up on my favorite shows because wifi is required to stream video via the app. Why can't I use my cellular data connection?! 

Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, NBC, The CW, ABC, etc etc; bascially EVERY other video streaming app allows 3G/LTE data to be used. Such a disappointment. Comcast needs to update the app to allow mobile users access. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Why is the mobile app wifi only?

Who is your provider? I have Verizon and can use my data plan just fine to stream stuff if I want.
Frequent Visitor

Verizon is the only provider it works with. Considering it's only one of the major four nationwide service providers, it's excluding a huge majority of Americans from being able to stream via phone service. Extremely upsetting. I'm not going to leave AT&T, pay a $325 early termination fee, purchase a new device, and have a higher monthly phone bill just to be able to do this. Comcast, you really need to change this.
Official Employee

Comcast has a "partnership" with Verizon that's why it'll never happen.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

That's a shame. I would much rather cancel my Comcast subscription than my AT&T phone service. Surely Comcast makes enough money that it doesn't have to be in such a carrier specific agreement. Out of the 10+ video streaming apps I use, yours is the only one not universal. Beyond upsetting. Thanks for the response at least.

Regular Contributor

Mine won't fully load or play on Wifi at home, yet if I switch to the 4G (Sprint) the app fully loads just won't play, says I must be on Wfif.  This is the Andriod app, what I mean by fully load is the page has words, no pictures, but if I open it on 4G the page is full of pictures and words.  I hit Play and it just spins and spins until it says to check my connection, after a few minutes.

Contributor

Is this regional or content specific? I am able to watch Xfinity To Go on Sprint 4G LTE. Make sure "cellular data" is enabled in the app. What shows won't play?
Regular Contributor

Zordar wrote:
Is this regional or content specific? I am able to watch Xfinity To Go on Sprint 4G LTE. Make sure "cellular data" is enabled in the app. What shows won't play?

Mine does not have that setting available anywhere in the settings menu.