Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Why does Comcast still use flash for content delivery?

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Why does Comcast still use flash for content delivery?

I was shocked to find out that I got a warning from my browser asking for updating flash when trying to access Xfinity programs. I've refused to access any site that used flash since 2015 when the flash creator Adobe made the announcement asking people not to use flash anymore. With the security risk of flash, why is Comcast still using flash 3 years later?

And I also found out people in this forum already raisd the issue at least a year ago?

Is there any Comcast employee reading this forum? Does Comcast completely not care what their customers say as long as people keep paying the cable bills?

Accepted Solution

Re: Why does Comcast still use flash for content delivery?

Hi all,

The XFINITY TV portal is a build using HTML5. However, Flash is required for by our digital rights management (DRM) platform to protect content as required by content licensing deals with programmers. Comcast is working on solutions that don't require Flash which will replace the existing system when available.

View answer in context
Bronze Problem Solver

SuperPowerBear wrote:

I was shocked to find out that I got a warning from my browser asking for updating flash when trying to access Xfinity programs. I've refused to access any site that used flash since 2015 when the flash creator Adobe made the announcement asking people not to use flash anymore. With the security risk of flash, why is Comcast still using flash 3 years later?

And I also found out people in this forum already raisd the issue at least a year ago?

Is there any Comcast employee reading this forum? Does Comcast completely not care what their customers say as long as people keep paying the cable bills?

For Adobe DRM, unfortunately, Adobe DRM requires Adobe flash.

Source - http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Why-do-I-need-to-download-Adobe-Flash-Player-I-w...

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to know that comcast is working on addressing the issue. I do hope this will be resolved soon. It seems that comcats has been working on this for at least 10 months assuming the work started right at the time when ComcastDam posted the response to the thread that you provided but not earlier. Ten monthes are a long time in a technology company. Still, it's good to know it's being dealt with. I am looking forward to being able to watch streaming programs on my computer.

Bronze Problem Solver

SuperPowerBear wrote:

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to know that comcast is working on addressing the issue. I do hope this will be resolved soon. It seems that comcats has been working on this for at least 10 months assuming the work started right at the time when ComcastDam posted the response to the thread that you provided but not earlier. Ten monthes are a long time in a technology company. Still, it's good to know it's being dealt with. I am looking forward to being able to watch streaming programs on my computer.

I think you misunderstood ComcastDan, the XFINITY TV portal is built using HTML5. Adobe flash is required for the DRM. There is nothing to or being worked on concerning this matter.

Frequent Visitor

Then I think the thread didn't answer my question. The whole idea is not having to use flash to get the streaming content from browsers. When or if we can ever expect to do that?

Regular Visitor

You hit the nail on the head. Why is this forum designed in Flash? Why is all content in Flash? Because we continue to use it. If we stopped en mass one day then Comcast might think to ask why. Set a date for boycot that is agreeable and I'm all in. If they suddenly had no on demand website traffic it would be noticeable and require action from Comcast!

Service Expert

I read on one of the forums that they are going to implement HTML5.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hi nunyafukkinbizn, RoberWy. Thanks very much for the response. I think we need to be very clear when we mentioned the method of flash and HTML5 or the same confusion will happen as with mvenanz's response earlier. As pointed out by Comcast, the page is truly implemented in HTML5. The whole web site is for sure. The issue here is when you want to watch the streaming content from a brower, the content is delivered using flash still. 
Thus Comcast has already implemented the whole web site in HTML5 for quite some time now. We're looking for any annoucement from Comcast about when they will stop using Flash to deliver the streaming content in the browser.

If any Comcast employee is monitoring this forum which I do hope so, please provide a link here for such announcement that Comcast has made regarding stopping using Flash for content streaming.

Thanks.

Bronze Problem Solver

SuperPowerBear wrote:

Hi nunyafukkinbizn, RoberWy. Thanks very much for the response. I think we need to be very clear when we mentioned the method of flash and HTML5 or the same confusion will happen as with mvenanz's response earlier. As pointed out by Comcast, the page is truly implemented in HTML5. The whole web site is for sure. The issue here is when you want to watch the streaming content from a brower, the content is delivered using flash still. 
Thus Comcast has already implemented the whole web site in HTML5 for quite some time now. We're looking for any annoucement from Comcast about when they will stop using Flash to deliver the streaming content in the browser.

If any Comcast employee is monitoring this forum which I do hope so, please provide a link here for such announcement that Comcast has made regarding stopping using Flash for content streaming.

Thanks.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a comcast reply. This question has been asked since the new stream site was in beta, as far as I've seen, comcast has never replied other than the comcastDan reply I posted above. Do a forum search for "flash html5" and you'll see they date back for a couple of years. It will most likely stay as is until Adobe drops flash in about 3 years.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=flash%20html5&location=...

Frequent Visitor

mvenanzi wrote:

SuperPowerBear wrote:

Thanks.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a comcast reply. This question has been asked since the new stream site was in beta, as far as I've seen, comcast has never replied other than the comcastDan reply I posted above. Do a forum search for "flash html5" and you'll see they date back for a couple of years. It will most likely stay as is until Adobe drops flash in about 3 years.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=flash%20html5&location=...

Thank you, mvenanzi. Yes, I didn't search this forum and I was not surprised there had been so many posts regarding the issue. You are right, if comcast hadn't responded to any of those old posts, I don't expect mine will be answered either. If anything, I at least leaned about how comcast handled customers' inquiries. I guess I shouldn't be surprised about that either. 

Official Employee

Hi all,

The XFINITY TV portal is a build using HTML5. However, Flash is required for by our digital rights management (DRM) platform to protect content as required by content licensing deals with programmers. Comcast is working on solutions that don't require Flash which will replace the existing system when available.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation